Ersky9x 9Xtreme problems with spoken telem values

Programing help and example for all firmwares based on thus's th9 firmware.
DuncanIdahoCT

Ersky9x 9Xtreme problems with spoken telem values

Post by DuncanIdahoCT »

I've studied the ER9x_Manual_2015-v01.pdf manual and searched the forums but cannot find out why... I know how, but why spoken values (play source) isn't working. All other voice functions on my TH9X with smartieparts 9Xtreme mod are working fine. It plays the welcome message and many other cool voice alarms work fine. For some reason I just can't get it to play any of the telemetry values.

I am following the example from the manual noted above on page 64, "Example 2 - Play a Source Value (Telemetry) after a Voice File" and it just won't do it :)

I have this exact setting from page 64 of the Er9x Manual labeled 2015:

Example 2 – Play a Source Value (Telemetry) after a Voice File
Here, when the switch “TRN” is turned ON, the source value “A1=” will be played once (Rate is set
to “ON”), AFTER the Voice file number 0040 (Pack Voltage). If the voltage on A1= is for example
11.5V, the Tx will say: “Pack Voltage, Eleven Point Five Volts”
Experiment with different settings and values to understand what every option does.

What I have noticed:

I have Ersky9x r218 (not simply Er9x) and my Voice List does not have a voice file number 0040 as in the example above but I do have the voice pack "Voice Pack for Ersky9x r218 and above.zip" loaded which includes equivalent files. Just not named the same as the manual for vanilla Er9x.

Seems like I either need the Er9x voice files loaded as well as the Ersky9x or I need to rename some of the Ersky9x voice files to what the Voice Alarm menu expects for spoken values...

Any hints or help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Duncan

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Ersky9x 9Xtreme problems with spoken telem values

Post by MikeB »

Ersky9x has been moving away from 'numbered' files (e.g. 0040.wav) and towards using 'named' files (e.g. FlapsDn.wav). If you choose FileType as "Name", then on the line below press MENU LONG and you will get a list of files to choose from. While in the list, a short press of MENU plays the file while a LONG press of MENU selects it as the file to use.
Are you getting the source value played (e.g. "Eleven Point Five Volts”), but not the “Pack Voltage" message, or are you getting nothing played?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
DuncanIdahoCT

Post by DuncanIdahoCT »

I figured out the long-press list of named files and the quick press preview, I can select the files and they do play when triggered or previewed. The only part that doesn't work is the play source. I plays neither the source value (e.g. "Eleven Point Five Volts") nor the "Pack Voltage" message.

So what I hear when the pack voltage drops below say... 10.6v is ONLY "Flight Battery Low" which for me is FLT_BATT.wav

I have tried the play source before/after and nothing plays. I have experimented with setting the switch value to TRN so I can trigger it when I need to instead of only in flight and it also works for the "Flight Battery Low" part but then still won't play the value.

What's interesting/different about my 9X is that I see only the raw value of A1 , not the "v" designation as in so many examples I've read and watched. So mine simply shows A1=11.6 (not A1=11.6v)
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

It looks like you might not have the correct voice pack installed, or if it is the correct one, is not installed properly.
Did you download ersky9x r218 from the er9x.com or from the test versions thread here at openRCforums?

For ersky9x r218:
Go here and download the voice pack called "Voice Pack for Ersky9x r218 and above_v1.0.zip"

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7715

Unzip it to the root directory of your radio's SD Card. Do not change the folder structure. You will have a voice folder with 3 other folders inside. "system, user and modelNames".

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
DuncanIdahoCT

Post by DuncanIdahoCT »

I will double-check but I know I have that file from your post jhsa and it's recently downloaded. I also have a welcome message when I turn on and the list of files pops up when I long-press. So it seems I have to have the folder structure and the pack at least partially correct.

I can also confirm that I have the NXX~.wave files in the system folder. So the capability to play them is there. I am curious if the reason it doesn't play the value has anything to do with the fact that the value is expressed as "11.6" and not "11.6v" ?

Just a thought...

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

No, that is not the problem. I just tried on my 9xtreme radio and it plays the source after the other voice file.

Please go to www.er9x.com and download the latest firmware for the 9xtreme. Then install it..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
DuncanIdahoCT

Post by DuncanIdahoCT »

Thanks I'll do that. That was going to be my next post, how to update. I know how to get into the SD card from the bootloader and I see the firmware rom (.bin) file. Do I just replace and reboot?

I know I could probably search this out out myself but the documentation specific to ersky9x isn't as easy to come by, especially when used with the 9xtreme board. and I don't want to brink my 9x.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Hmmm, are you sure you have version r218 of ersky9x? because as far as I know the board doesn't ship with this version :o
So, if you don't know how to update, how can you have version r218? :)

Download the latest from www.er9x.com.
Copy the firmware file you just downloaded to the SD Card and put it inside a folder called "firmware"
Eject the drives from the PC, unplug the USB cable. you will be in bootloader mode. The file should be listed on the screen now. select it and press menu long to flash the firmware.
When finished, press exit a couple times and the radio will now reboot and start normally.. See if the voice works now.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
DuncanIdahoCT

Post by DuncanIdahoCT »

So the problem is resolved. I did the update and it works now, I even get some "voice" alarms that I didn't get before. The display still shows only the raw value of A1 as e.g. 11.6 and not 11.6v but whatever... The fix was as you suggested, to update to r218. However, I checked before using Mike's update instructions for the Ersky9x/9Xtreme and the version that was displayed was r218 with a 2016 date. That same version screen looks unchanged even though the problem is now resolved.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the 9Xtreme update process upon initial POST of the freshly installed board. The instructions by Steven Morehouse for the first use say:

Your 9Xtreme comes pre-loaded with ERSKY9X firmware, a very powerful version of ER9X. Turning on your radio for the very first time, the 9Xtreme will detect that the 9X itself doesn't have the proper supporting firmware so it takes a moment to bring it up to speed. It only takes a couple of seconds before the 9Xtreme has completely educated its host body, and you'll soon be presented with the ERSKY9X logo on your screen.

Perhaps mine did not fully update... who knows. it's fixed now so thanks for the fast and helpful replies. I ended up separating the voice alarm for "flight pack low" and TRN switch triggered spoken A1 value out so I could hit the switch anytime I want to hear the volts as opposed to looking down or waiting for the low warning. Both are working perfectly. Things have certainly come a long way since I first got into gas RC planes as a hobby. This 9x with all your hard work and the mod board is amazing compared to my hugely expensive Futaba 6 channel, it was something like $500 back in the 90s.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

The 9xtreme board flashes the 9x mainboard on first turn ON. But then you have to update the 9xtreme board. All you see on screen is genarated by the 9xtreme board even if the LCD is connected to the old 9x board...
I still didn't read the instructions lately, but they should point to the new released versions i www.er9x.com.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
DuncanIdahoCT

Post by DuncanIdahoCT »

João

I already commented to Steven about a couple of minor deficiencies in his instructions but they were quite minor. The install went flawless other than trying to figure out the telemetry connection and then this firmware issue. The only link on the installation instructions page on smartieparts.com is to this forum and the general "9Xtreme upgrade board" page:

viewforum.php?f=126

From there I could probably have deduced that I needed an update, but it was not clear and I was concerned about bricking the 9x as I mentioned above.

Steven may want to also add your recommendation to immediately update the firmware as well; with the caveat (that he also pointed out to me in email) about needing to manually locate and execute eepskye.exe as opposed to just running eepe.exe via the start menu.

Thanks again for the help.
Regards,
-Duncan
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

No problem.. Glad it is working now.. ;)

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
silversurfer48

Post by silversurfer48 »

I tryed to do the sd voice with the download to sd and copy to a file name it firmware and in bootloader mode it says not a valid firmware try to copy to FIRMWARE bootload page but says no space so wear or how does this work
silversurfer48

Post by silversurfer48 »

Im working with smartie board 9xtreme
jhsa

Re: RE: Re: Ersky9x 9Xtreme problems with spoken telem values

Post by jhsa »

silversurfer48 wrote:I tryed to do the sd voice with the download to sd and copy to a file name it firmware and in bootloader mode it says not a valid firmware try to copy to FIRMWARE bootload page but says no space so wear or how does this work
I don't understand what you are trying to do. Flash the firmware or copying the voice files to the card?
Please use punctuation when you write your posts. Without it, it is very difficult for us to understand them. Specially the ones that are not native English speakers like me :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
silversurfer48

Post by silversurfer48 »

ok ! I did all the steps you have wrote to some one in a prior explanation. I'm downloading the voice pack and then coping it to SD Card. I did all the steps and I still don't have any volume or beeps it happen after I update the smartie board, like Steve says to do on the smartie board page I also have been using the skyeepe because the eepe does not accept the commands. Its says the usb can not be found or flash was aboard ,But with the skyeepe it accepts the commands or flash or what ever I'm new to all this so please be patient with me and Yeah I not to good in the English vocabulary or punctuation's I'm from Ireland living in the state of California in the United States
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Not getting any beeps is not good.
You have probably done the following, but go to the AudioHaptic menu, set:
Beeper to Norm
then go to the Volume setting and press the RIGHT button to increase the volume repeatedly. Each time you press the button, you should hear a beep, getting louder as you increase the volume.
If you don't get any beeps, then the next thing to do is to check the connections to the speaker.

Another test to do is to hold the speaker very close to your ear. Do you hear any noise at all (buzzing, clicking or hissing)?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
silversurfer48

Post by silversurfer48 »

Im trying to get the voice to work on my radio its not making any kind o f sound or beeps no sound i have check speaker connection 3 times and its connected
I hear no sound out of speaker no hiss no clicking nothing
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

MikeB wrote:Not getting any beeps is not good.
You have probably done the following, but go to the AudioHaptic menu, set:
Beeper to Norm
then go to the Volume setting and press the RIGHT button to increase the volume repeatedly. Each time you press the button, you should hear a beep, getting louder as you increase the volume.

If you don't get any beeps, then the next thing to do is to check the connections to the speaker.

Another test to do is to hold the speaker very close to your ear. Do you hear any noise at all (buzzing, clicking or hissing)?

Mike.
Please do what Mike asked. It is the third time this is asked and you seem to ignore it.
You need to help us helping you. If you don't do what we ask you to, it is not possible to help you.. :o

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
silversurfer48

Post by silversurfer48 »

Mike I did this I post it on the forum were you replyed to my question
silversurfer48

Post by silversurfer48 »

ok did all that but no sound I cant hear no hiss or clicks or anything I open up TX and the speaker is connected to all the prongs no bent prongs or pins or connectors
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

silversurfer48 wrote:Mike I did this I post it on the forum were you replyed to my question
That's why we should keep all in one thread ;) :)

Ok, if you hear no hiss, that is not good ..
Do you have another speaker you could try??

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
silversurfer48

Post by silversurfer48 »

No I dont have anything to use at this output on the TX
silversurfer48

Post by silversurfer48 »

ok I have no power coming out of the speaker connection used a DVM810 circuit checker I double check all the connections on the 9xtreme board and all the connection pinns are all good no bent ones or broken ones
silversurfer48

Post by silversurfer48 »

ok found the problem the positive was on negative side and visa-versa on the speaker but why would it make a differance it should not matter right
silversurfer48

Post by silversurfer48 »

but its working so that must mean something and its pretty hard when you have big hands and fingers typing on a little key board sorry about all the miss communication and bad English
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Swapping the speaker wires in that case shouldn't make any difference.. Maybe you had some bad connection on the connector.

It's not the English. your English is for sure better than mine as it is your mother language :)
It was the lack of punctuation that makes it hard to understand what it is written. Specially for non native speakers like me :D

But good that all is working now. Other little suggestion is to keep the discussion about a certain problem in one single thread. The reason for this is that the information will be all in just one place and it is easier to help you. For example, above you said that you did what Mike asked and answered his question on another thread. I didn't see it because i thought we were trying to fix the problem on this thread. If we keep it all together, it is much easier to help people finding/fixing the problem ;)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:

Return to “er9x / gruvin9x / th9 based firmwares”