OpenTX and curves VS DR: beginner question

Programing help and example for all firmwares based on thus's th9 firmware.
interestingfellow

OpenTX and curves VS DR: beginner question

Post by interestingfellow »

I've stopped trying to ask questions until I've read all the way through the open9x 2015 user manual, but I can't find an answer to this question because of the generic nature of the terms.

Why/when would I want to use predefined curves controlled by a switch in my mixer menu VS using DR/Expo controlled by a switch in the DR/Expo menu?

Thanks!

BenZoFly

Re: OpenTX and curves VS DR: beginner question

Post by BenZoFly »

I may try a candid answer to this question, based on what I use on the filed:

Rule n.1 : Keep it simple...

DR/Expo on a switch is what I always use with ELE, AIL and RUD when:
1/ the response I expect is symetrical around the centre (everytime unless particular cases)
2/ I manage DR and Expo values as GVars (1 value pair for indoor planes, 2 value pairs - swash and rud - for helis, 3 value pairs - ele, ail, rud - for outdoor planes) and have GVars applied to the mix and set per flight mode switchable on SE switch. I stopped having one extra rate switch per stick movement, like SA for rudder, SD for ailerons, because it is not workable for me in practice (keep it simple).
3/ If I want to have differentiated responses for the 2 sides of the stick movement, and to keep the overview in my GVar table, I would use (but never had to) 2 lines of mix, one for each side.

Curve on a switch is what I use for swash mix for helis (THR and Pitch), and I think I encountered only one case other than that. Where I would use such curve function is for example:
- I want to have a non linear curve applied on a servo
- I need to build a non-linear throttle curve that cannot be achieved with the firmware built-in functions (low set point, etc.)
- I need to have a funny servo movement (like gear door sequencing without a dedicated sequencing controller box)

I posted a plane template which implements DR and Expo as GVars in the template library. It also uses a curve for Throttle to set the low point as I used the Throttle trims to activate/deactivate the engines. This is one of the above use case for using a curve :)

Hope this helps!

Return to “er9x / gruvin9x / th9 based firmwares”