Tips for using the 9x with a car

Programing help and example for all firmwares based on thus's th9 firmware.
neilma1

Tips for using the 9x with a car

Post by neilma1 »

Hi folks

I've recently got back into RC devices and started out with a Quadcopter. I've successfully set up my 9x (with ER9x) to manage the quad successfully (now I just need to learn to fly it ;) ). Anyway, I'm trying to get my kids interested so I've purchased a car and another receiver and was planning on using the 9x to control the car too thinking I could add another model.

My plan was to set up a switch so that when activated I can reduce the max throttle on the car to 50% to make it easier for the kids and I am ok with that.

My question lies around the best way to set things up. I have a mode 2 radio so thought about using the right hand stick to control the throttle but I got confused with that as I have always had throttle on the left stick and steering on the right. So I moved it back.

The ESC on the car is set up so that I can go forward, and then it waits for a pause before going into reverse. However using the left stick, as it doesn't have a spring return to take it back to zero, its hard to judge getting it into reverse (it you go from + throttle to -ve throttle, the car stops as it should, then you need to move back up to midpoint, then back to reverse which doesn't seem to work efficiently).

I think my options are:

a) Stop being tight and buy a dedicated car radio (Trying to avoid this as I have battery packs for the 9x with chargers plus it means more space required)
b) Put the throttle back on the right stick and learn
c) Program the esc to not do reverse and stick with throttle on the left
d) Program the esc to move straight into reverse rather than the pause (so that If I push the left stick down past midpoint, it will reverse straight away)
e) Any other things I have overlooked?

Sorry for the long winded way of asking but thanks for any suggestions?

Kilrah

Re: Tips for using the 9x with a car

Post by Kilrah »

All those options are valid, up to you to choose which one you prefer...

When I used a plane radio for a car I set throttle on right stick (with spring) and steering on the left one. Keeps orders separate.
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

You can set a center beep on the throttle stick. This would give you an audio indication of center. I've never had a reversing ESC, so for me throttle on the left steering on the right is what I do.
-Gohst
neilma1

Post by neilma1 »

Ah, I am liking the beep on centre idea! - Is that in the radio options (Menus 1 to 6) or in the model options? (Sorry, Radio not here with me today).
offers

Post by offers »

Unless it's a crawler (mine us) with 4 wheel steering,
Buy a separate transmitter,
A one with real wheel, it a total different feeling.

I wish we could have a one with the same er9x softeare...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

It's on the first page (2/?) of the model settings. Scroll down past the timer settings and look for "Beep Cnt". Move the cursor over to "T" then press menu once. When you move the cursor off of it, it will be highlighted meaning the beep is enabled for that control.
-Gohst
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

Use a 9-point curve on the thottle and make the three middle points 0 (100, 66, 33, 0, 0, 0, -33, -66, -100)
That will give you a brod dead band in the middle of the stick.

Reinhard
RevDWC

Post by RevDWC »

offers wrote:Unless it's a crawler (mine us) with 4 wheel steering,
Buy a separate transmitter,
A one with real wheel, it a total different feeling.

I wish we could have a one with the same er9x softeare...
I don't know enough to know if er9x would work, but the earlier FlySky GT3 uses the same processor as the 9x so something may be possible. It has a different LCD though, so I guess that would require some work.

Cheers, Justin.

Return to “er9x / gruvin9x / th9 based firmwares”