Program a quad not a heli

Programing help and example for all firmwares based on thus's th9 firmware.
propfella

Program a quad not a heli

Post by propfella »

Hi,

I have a bog standard just out of the box Turnigy 9XR. It's running ER9X I assume. I am trying to program a quad with a KK2 board in it but at switch on and going to page 3 I'm greeted with programming a heli and there doesn't appear to be any logical way of getting rid of it. There is no option for Acro or anything else. I have another 9XR already reflashed to open 9x and I'm using the frsky DHT I think it's called. And attempting to program it was just too darned confusing. I can handle this on the 9X with no problems but my friend wants a 9XR to control it so I'm trying to get it set up on the standard unit as that's what he wants. The module is Frsky but it's the slot in unit. Can anyone tell me how to get it out of heli mode please and also how many times do I have to reprogram AETR? It seems to want everything starting with the throttle. I believe it's hard coded to do that. Is that the case.

Sorry, I thought this would be easy but nowhere as easy as the 9x. Please help, this is my second day on it but I'm just going in circles.

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Re: Program a quad not a heli

Post by Rob Thomson »

Firstly. It is not really that hard.

Have you looked at the tutorials and videos that teach you how to use the firmware? If you try jump in without using the guides - you would probably get stuck.

You will actually find the whole thing is easier than the stock 9x firmware. Just a different way of working.

Now... for your quad.

Ignore the helix setup menu. Quad's tend to have a flight controller and will work with a sfandard 4 channel setup.

Excluding channel order, this is most likely what you have on any new / blank model you create!

So ob theory.... get the channel order right, and your basics should work.

After that. One step atna time and explain each other issue that occurs.

Rob

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Go to the templates screen, choose AETR, apply the first (simple 6-CH) template, done.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

There are no model setup modes in er9x/openTX. Therefore you can setup anything you like..
Want a helicopter that is a plane and submarine at the same time?? I'm quite sure it is quite possible with these firmwares.. This was just an example by the way ;) :mrgreen:
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
propfella

Post by propfella »

Thanks for the replies guys. I was confused by that reference to helis but as mentioned by Rob, it means nothing unless you need it. I promise I did a lot of searching but just didn't find the right video which had the same screen but was being setup as a quad. I finally got it to recognize the receiver but as is usual when Murphy resides at the same address every single stick is wrong.

I always run Aileron, Elevator, Throttle and Rudder but when doing the receiver setup it shows everything all over the place. I changed the setting to RETA but still no difference. I'm getting confused over the amount of times the sequence is shown. One page will say it's set as AETR and another says RETA and that's on the KK2 board.

Then I have the actual 9XR which I set as AETR but it's still wrong. Which one actually shows the true settings. Changing the direction the sticks move is no problem but I can't find any info on changing the actual sticks. I know it's something simple and to everyone else they could do it with their eyes shut. But I'm not sure if my 65 year old noggin can't store any more info or I'm going senile, probably both but I'm beginning to drown in terminology, abbreviations and utter frustration. I have tried to search for my fix but I end up wading neck deep in people talking about HobbyKings stock and Buddy Codes and how many everyone's ordered.

I wish my friend had bought the 9X it all seemed so easy on that. But this stick mix-up is what's stopping me. If someone could feed me in easy to understand chunks I might just be able to beat this beastie. Thanks again for your previous help.

A funny story, my Grandson reckons my hobby is great. He gets helis, boats, planes and now his own quad. His mates say they wish they had a granddad like me. My Granddaughter said to me just before she left our fold for University. "Pop, why aren't you like everyone else's Granddad and just sit around watching TV all day. I told her, if I stopped, I'd have trouble getting going again, like her old car. I was then informed her old car was crushed the week before.

propfella

Post by propfella »

Hurray, I finally got it. No tutorial this time. The penny dropped and everything suddenly made sense. Well, that part anyway. I now have all sticks doing what they are supposed to do and in the right directions. It didn't take me long and all I did was say to it, "Right you mongrel, you're not going to beat me. Within 20 minutes I had it perfect.

BUT, And there's always a but. I watched a video earlier about calibrating the ESCs. My board doesn't show the option but I know it's available. The guy showing it switched on whilst holding in the 1 and 4 buttons, waited for one beep, pulled his throttle back to idle and the calibration started. If I hold my buttons 1 and 4 in and power up it immediately goes into the setup routine almost the same as a planes power up routine. I don't get any fancy run of notes and different beeps etc. After the startup routine it just switches back to the original screen. I did have it go through the correct routine before and it seemed to work. Does this mean once you've done the setup you can't do it again?

Also, I can't arm any more. It was working but now it not ?? I haven't changed anything there the Arming is still set to stick so I'm stumped on that as well. I'm not sure if it's related but whilst the unarmed screen is showing, all is quiet but as soon as I switch to any other screen I get a beep every 3 seconds which slowly evolves into 3 beeps as if the 3 beeps are together to start with but then start getting further apart until it's three distinct beeps, Weird. Maybe I've pushed my luck with all these questions but I( have a good friend who may turn on me at any minute and I really can't afford to lose friends in my position. Thanks guys.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Glad you go it working.

You are not the first to battle to grasp the initial concept. Once it clicks, you will find the other Radios ways of doing it much harder!

Afraid I cant help one the esc issue. Not my area :)

...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Btw... if a friend turns their back on you - they are not really friend at all!

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I don't really know the KK board as I use multiwii and it's been quite a while since last time I fiddled with my copters..
But when I calibrated my ESCs, I plugged them one by one into the receiver's throttle channel and calibrated them.. I also don't know which ESCs you're using but normally you turn the radio on, full throttle, power the receiver and ESC, you will hear some sort of beeps, then bring your throttle back to idle.. the ESC will do some beeping again and it will be calibrated.. Check the ESCs manual to be sure..

IMPORTANT: REMOVE YOUR PROPS WHEN WORKING ON YOUR COPTER. THEY CAN BITE BADLY..

Joao.

EDIT: By the way, well done in setting the right channel order.. You're going the right way ;)

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
propfella

Post by propfella »

Thanks again guys, I've got a bit further now the only thing between me and seeing this quad actually work is to get it to arm. I solved the problem I had with the throttle not at zero error but the switches error comes up instead. I'll guarantee there's murphy at work here. I fix one thing and something else pops up, I fix that and something else etc. etc.

When all the sticks were wrong, strangely I could arm it using the elevator stick which was pretending to be the throttle. Now the throttle is the throttle it won't arm. I'm almost sure it's something to do with the ESC calibration routine. I've done it that many times.

One tutorial says hold the 1 and 4 buttons in and power up, when your hear one beep pull the throttle to zero. OK but I don't get a beep when I power up, I get a full loading routine. I've watched videos and they get one beep but then I've had turn on and then push the buttons, push the buttons and then turn on, turn on, push the buttons then drop the throttle to zero within 2 seconds. Geez, holding two buttons and plugging in is hard enough. I've even asked my wife to put the transmitter at the foot of the bed so I can lower the throttle with my toes but apart from feeling stupid it didn't work.

When I go searching just about everyone says the problem is the throttle isn't set low enough for the board to recognize it as zero but as the warning about an open throttle at switch on doesn't come up any more that can't be the fault. Yes the alarm is set for an open throttle warning.

Why do these things happen when you're doing it for free for friends. I set mine up on the 9X with 3 quads which various people now have. Maybe I should do what my GrandDaughter said. Just sit around watching TV all day. Thanks again for your help guys. It's been a pleasure to hear from you, Happy flying to you all. I'm going to eat worms.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

How are your limits set for the throttle channel? You may need to enable extended limits and set the low side to even less than - 100%, some quad boards want the throttle REALLY low.

Envoyé depuis mon GT-I9505 avec Tapatalk
propfella

Post by propfella »

Thanks Kilrah, and all the other kind people who offered their help. I'm happy to say I cracked it just short of me cracking and swearing off quads for life. I tried changing radios and then tried changing to the good old 9X including receiver. It didn't make a blind bit of difference.

As a last resort, and I meant it too. I changed the KK2 board which was working perfectly until I attempted to set the sticks correctly. That's what the problem was. I couldn't have done anything to damage it, all I did was push buttons and it was firmly anchored and insulated. I left everything as it was and just changed the wiring to the new KK2. I changed the stick directions around and bingo. Perfection. The arming worked. and all motors started exactly in unison, so I assume the ESCs are calibrated. Just to see what went wrong I rewired the old KK2 board and strange, the LCD display never even worked. It lit up but no display.

Just to try it I went back to the 9XR and no arming. To heck with the 9XR, I went back to the 9X, reconnected the 6 ch receiver and it's now working very happily.

Once again, thanks for all your advice, believe me it wasn't wasted because I got the opportunity to learn a lot more about the 9XR. Now I just have to calibrate the sensors and she can be maidened tomorrow.

Oh! I still have one problem..... Nah just joking :-)
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

:mrgreen: Well done.. :mrgreen:
When you have a problem, you know what to do ;)

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:

Return to “er9x / gruvin9x / th9 based firmwares”