Frsky Telemetry question

Programing help and example for all firmwares based on thus's th9 firmware.
rcgyuk

Frsky Telemetry question

Post by rcgyuk »

Now that I have finally got my voltage sensor working, I have a couple more questions.

In another post, some one mentioned internal alarms vs frsky alarms. What does this mean, should I change anything and if so how?

Secondly, I can now set alarms to warn of low or very low voltage, but I can also glance at my display and see a voltage.

What I would really like is to be able to glance at the display and see a percentage of battery left, would be much easier to comprehend while trying to fly the model at the same time.

Robert

Kilrah

Re: Frsky Telemetry question

Post by Kilrah »

FrSky alarms = the module sounds the alarms with its own buzzer. Internal alarms = the radio sounds them instead.
If you've done the audio mod on the radio it's easy to pick different sounds of your liking that you can use with the internal alarms. If you haven't, you're better off using the frsky alarms as the module will do differently pitched alarms depending on which one sounds, while the 9x's stock buzzer can only do one tone.

It's not possible to reliably calculate a percentage out of battery voltage alone. You'd want to use an amp meter and use the mAh count function for that.
rcgyuk

Post by rcgyuk »

Hi,

What is the audio mod? Do you mean the one with the spoken messages ?

I have installed the Frsky telemetry hack module, rewired the two pins etc.

I programmed alarms at two voltages, selected yellow and red.

I believe this means that I will get a double beep when I get to a certain voltage, and a triple beep when I hit the final low threshold I have set.

How would I know which alarms I am using, and how would I switch between them?

Can I unreliably calculate a percentage? i.e. define (say) 16.5v as 0% and 20.5v as 100%, and display values in between depending on the voltage?

Regards
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

No, I mean the piezo speaker mod.
Yellow and red are 2 and 3 beeps, exact. The FrSky module will give low pitched beeps for voltage alarms, and high-pitched beeps for RSSI alarms.

There's no way to display a percentage. But as said neither a voltage nor a percentage calculated out of it will give you anything useful as to how much you've used out of your battery. The only thing voltage is good for is a low battery warning, and even then it won't be very precise, will vary between 2 batteries etc.
For example during flight the unloaded voltage of your full battery will go down from 20.5V to 19V in maybe 10% usage, then will spend like 80% between 19V and 18V, then go down to 16.5V in like 10%. Problem, when you vary throttle this will easily make the voltage "swing" by more than the 1V that does the difference between "nearly full" and "nearly empty"...
rcgyuk

Post by rcgyuk »

probably the best way then is to set an alarm, land when it goes off, and check the battery on the ground.

If I still had (say) 50% left, then lower the threshold slightly, until I find a value that matches my style of flying with that particular model.

This will probably be most useful in my electric gliders. After half an hour of floating about with the occasional use of motor, I presently have no idea how much battery I have left.

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Yep, just an alarm is good. But again landing and checking voltage is no good indication, you should recharge your battery and see how many mAh the charger has put back in. If it's still far from the battery's (real) capacity, then lower the alarm a bit and repeat. If you use several batteries it's best if they're the same type and/or age, because the voltage "sag" under load can vary quite a lot from one to the other if they're different, and you might find that while one battery is correctly "calibrated" and the alarm sounds when it should, with another it might be starting to beep constantly after just a minute of flight even if you can still fly for 10 minutes.
mensas

Post by mensas »

I use er9x-r807 v1.2048-Mike and have a problem with telemetry information. Stopping in distance over 10 metres. I had same problem with previos versions.Also the same situation with several receivers.Transmitter is Smartboard 2.4 and Telemetrez card.Transmitter module DJT.In receiver I have also tried dipoli antanna belou 10 metrer power was doupler. In transmitter I tested 5db antenna.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Sounds like rf problem, possibly with the DJT not receiving properly.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

Have you upgraded the telemetrez firmware at all? The newest version is available here. (r86)
-Gohst

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
mensas

Post by mensas »

Yes thanks, I have upgraded, and also tried r88.
All connection are checked, looks ok
moxieman3864

Post by moxieman3864 »

hello
i have a question if someone would be kind to help ive installed the extreme board i have the flysky th9x/er9x/ersky9x djtmodule d4r-II i hooked the black and white wire in the djt white in rx black in tx is that correct ? dothe 2 little switches need to be in the off position? whe i turn my tx and then power on my quadcopter IT SAYS rx has 0.0 volts why is that? and whe i turn the tx on it says throttle not in safe position. my throttle is all the way down.now on tx screen it reads Rx101-99. Tx reads 101-102 onthe bottom of the RX # HAS 87 102 ON THE BOTTOM OF Tx has 80 103 any thoughts.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Throttle alarm when the stick is at the bottom means you have to calibrate the sticks. Go to Radio Setup/Calibration, and follow the instructions..

I think you are receiving telemetry as it seems you are receiving RSSI and TSSI (RX and TX).
You have to program the radio to receive the receiver voltage. Please go to the Model Setup/Telemetry menu, scroll down to "A1 Channel" and insert the value13.2
A good idea is to read the er9x manual where all this is explained. ;)

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6473

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
moxieman3864

Post by moxieman3864 »

jhsa wrote:Throttle alarm when the stick is at the bottom means you have to calibrate the sticks. Go to Radio Setup/Calibration, and follow the instructions..

I think you are receiving telemetry as it seems you are receiving RSSI and TSSI (RX and TX).
You have to program the radio to receive the receiver voltage. Please go to the Model Setup/Telemetry menu, scroll down to "A1 Channel" and insert the value13.2
A good idea is to read the er9x manual where all this is explained. ;)

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6473

João
ok i put 13.2 v now it's reading 4.9 is that correct and on the bottom of that reads Rx=103/102 same wit Tx 103/104 i'm using 9.9 life batt for quad power. one other question to i'm getting a constant beeping coming from tx what is causing that it happens when power quad or plane i want to thank you for your help well appreciated
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Well, if you want to read the LiFe battery you will need a voltage sensor on A2. A1 is reading the voltage at the receiver.
What is beeping? The radio or the DJT module?

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
moxieman3864

Post by moxieman3864 »

jhsa wrote:Well, if you want to read the LiFe battery you will need a voltage sensor on A2. A1 is reading the voltage at the receiver.
What is beeping? The radio or the DJT module?

João
it sounds like the beeping is coming from the djt .
i want to thankyou again your really helping me out.
the life battery is in the tx i'm getting the reading for that .
the 11.1 1300mah 3c is the one in the quadcopter so i would have to set up my frsky hub to send voltage to the naze32 would that be correct?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

moxieman3864 wrote: it sounds like the beeping is coming from the djt .
It looks like the DJT might have some alarms programmed. Did you program any of those yellow/red alarms under A1 or A2 in the telemetry menu? This should really be removed as it was used long time ago when the radio still didn't handle alarms. No reason to keep this whatsoever in my opinion.
If you have something programmed there just put all back to zero..
Wait a second, The A1 port reads the receiver voltage.. Not the TX voltage.
the 11.1 1300mah 3c is the one in the quadcopter so i would have to set up my frsky hub to send voltage to the naze32 would that be correct?
I never seen a naze32 board, so I'm going to let someone answer this one ;)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
moxieman3864

Post by moxieman3864 »

jhsa wrote:
moxieman3864 wrote: it sounds like the beeping is coming from the djt .
It looks like the DJT might have some alarms programmed. Did you program any of those yellow/red alarms under A1 or A2 in the telemetry menu? This should really be removed as it was used long time ago when the radio still didn't handle alarms. No reason to keep this whatsoever in my opinion.
If you have something programmed there just put all back to zero..
Wait a second, The A1 port reads the receiver voltage.. Not the TX voltage.
I never seen a naze32 board, so I'm going to let someone answer this one ;)

João
Did you program any of those yellow/red alarms under A1 or A2 in the telemetry menu? no can't figure that out i was getting that beeping even with the other board the er9x board it has something to do with rX D4R-II OR DJT MODULE THE LITTLE SWITCHE ON THE MODULE ARE IN THE OFF POSITION. I TRIED RE BIND THE RECEIVER NO CHANGE.

Wait a second, The A1 port reads the receiver voltage.. Not the TX voltage.yes i do get the tx voltage on screen 1.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Yes you get the transmitter voltage on the screen but that has nothing to do with the telemetry.
So, lets take a problem at the time.
What voltage from the model do you need to read?
Also, above I posted a link to the er9x manual. It is a good idea to read it. ;)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
moxieman3864

Post by moxieman3864 »

jhsa wrote:Yes you get the transmitter voltage on the screen but that has nothing to do with the telemetry.
So, lets take a problem at the time.
What voltage from the model do you need to read?
Also, above I posted a link to the er9x manual. It is a good idea to read it. ;)

João
What voltage from the model do you need to read

the 11.1 3s 1300 from the model .
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I thought the naze32 does that? I don't have one so I don't know..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
moxieman3864

Post by moxieman3864 »

jhsa wrote:I thought the naze32 does that? I don't have one so I don't know..

João
yes it dose i have some reading to do .
i was wondering do you have the djt module i still get the constant beeping from the module i was just wondering if it suppose be like that. maybe it's a rssi signal. because none of my alarms are set that i can see .
Attachments
My Movie.mp4
(12.11 MiB) Downloaded 2026 times

Return to “er9x / gruvin9x / th9 based firmwares”