3 way switches? (I need two of them for hexacopter) Options?

Programing help and example for all firmwares based on thus's th9 firmware.
PaddockFlyer

3 way switches? (I need two of them for hexacopter) Options?

Post by PaddockFlyer »

:?: I'm new here and not sure where this question should be posted.

I use the Turnigy 9x transmitter for all my Rc planes and I'm quite happy with it for that but I'm encountering a problem for my new multirotor.

I'm currently building a hex multirotor and I'm using the ZeroUAV YS-X6 autopilot control system for it. I've nearly completed the build and have now only noticed that in the manual it needs TWO times 3 way switches to enable the wifi/pc flight modes.

The 9x only seems to have one 3 way switch (aux 3). Is there a solution to this? For example, the "aux 2" switch has a dial. Can the dial be programmed to act as a 3 way switch, using the +, 0, and - as the three options?

Any ideas and help on this would be appreciated.

Cheers ;)

Kilrah

Re: 3 way switches? (I need two of them for hexacopter) Opti

Post by Kilrah »

You should be able to use the pot as is, with your controller using its own thresholds to decide between modes.
Irish Steve

Post by Irish Steve »

Do you need 2 lots of 3 way at the same time, or 6 modes, only one of which is selected at any time, and if 6 modes, do you need to go directly from (say) mode 1 to mode 6 without stepping through them? if you are stepping through sequentially, then it should be possible to use another switch to determine if it's 1 to 3 or 4 to 6 in use, if you need more than that, it may be worth changing one of the rotary pots for a 3 position switch and putting the relevant resistor values on it to give fixed values to an analog channel that can then be decoded to give the other set of 3. That will be more precise than using a pot, though in theory it should be simple enough, -100 0 and 100 as the values of the pot could be decoded to give the 3 positions.

If you need any one of 6, then a swap of a rotary pot for a multi way switch, which can be set to the number of ways needed might be a better option, with again resistor values to encode the position, and 2 to 12 ways can be done off one switch.
Irish Steve

If it was easy, shure, would't we all be doin it?

_
PaddockFlyer

Post by PaddockFlyer »

Thanks for your replies.

To be honest some of that has just gone over my head (my knowledge of these radios has only ever had to very basic to this point) but I'll read it again along with the manual and see if that will work for me. (Its Sunday morning :P )

To clarify the use of the three way switches:

First one has three selectable options:
1. Manual mode
2. Stabilization mode
3. GPS Mode - The second switch then controls which of the three GPS modes you want. This switch only functions when switch number one is in thisGPS mode)
PaddockFlyer

Post by PaddockFlyer »

Hi again,

I appreciate the comments and it looks like its all possible but I'm still struggling with the 9X menu and terminology and what it all means. Pots, throt hold, pit mix, etc etc.

With my planes I've only ever needed ch1-4 for the usual ail/thrott/elev/rudd. With this hexacopter I also need ch5 and ch6 on 3 way switches.

To clarify the use of the three way switches:

Ch5
1. Manual mode
2. Stabilization mode
3. GPS Mode - this option enables Ch6

Ch6
This switch then controls the three selectable GPS modes. Just to clarify this switch only functions when ch5 switch is in the 3rd position)

So my question in basic terms is how do I set up a ch5 and a ch6 switch to do this?

Any advice specific to how I do may go about doing it using the Tx's menu would be much appreciated. (ie, for 3 way switch on ch5 go to A in the preference menu, then set it to B and then select C or whatever)

I appreciate time spent on helping my mediocre Tx skills.

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

In the mixes menu.

Navigate to ch5.

Change the 'source' for the mix to MAX

Further down the mix screen set the switch to use for the mix.

Done :-)
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Firstly, we'd need to know if you've reflashed your radio, or if it still runs the stock firmware. Most here have reflashed, so we tend to think that people who come here have too... but I don't see a confirmation in your post apart from it not being in the "stock firmware" section.

I have a Naza that I use with open9x. You can use 2 3-position switches with it, but If you don't need some of the modes you can also replace one with a 2-position switch.
For example I have the 3-position switch for Manual/Atti/GPS, but a 2-position switch for no IOC/course lock/Home lock. Home lock doesn't interest me, so I do without. I know some who use a 2-position switch for Manual/GPS, as they have no use for ATTI.
PaddockFlyer

Post by PaddockFlyer »

@ Rob
@ Kilrah

Thanks for your prompt replies. I think we're getting somewhere now...

Rob your comments has alerted me to Kilrahs correct observation of stock firmware. I don't have a mixes menu with ch5 to navigate too or set to max. I wish it were that easy.

So Kilrah your correct there. I have stock firmware (I've never needed anything else until now). I'm happy to update it but wouldn't know how? At this stage (in case it makes a difference) I'll point out that my 9X has an Orange DSM2 module and a 9ch reciever for the hex.

@ Kilrah. Seeings the 9X only has one stock 3 way switch I have been advised on a YS-X6 forum to do exactly what you have suggested a friend of yours has done.

- 2 way switch for manual/gps (skipping ATTi as its never/seldom used by others)
- 3 way used for 3 GPS modes

So this is now what I will be trying to achieve now. So...

1. What firmware update do I need to get that nice and easy sounding menu from Rob?
2. How do I update frimware on a 9X?
3. At that point I might have a better chnace of putting both of your feedback into action. As until now my menu's haven't corresponded with your feedback.

Thanks muchly.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Well.. now you are in for a whole lot of fun :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

First have a good read of this:

http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/Flashing_your_9x

If all of that is scary.. or you dont like the idea of soldering to your board...

Then get one of these:

http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/index. ... cts_id=331

it is a solderless board that you bolt on top of your current main board.. then reflash with either open9x or er9x. I am an open9x fan.. many others are er9x fans. The choice is yours!

Rob
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
PaddockFlyer

Post by PaddockFlyer »

Thanks Rob,

I don't think I'll be soldering to my board haha.

The solderless board from smartieparts looks the go.

In a nutshell what are the main differences between open9x and er9x? Are we comparing apples with apples, or apples with oranges?

It will need to operate the 9ch hex as well as my other 4ch planes.

Cheers ;-)
gbmarsh

Post by gbmarsh »

In my opinion it's an apples to apples thing, just a question of flavor ;) The beauty of adding a programmer (I highly recommend the Smartieparts board) is that you can try out any of the available firmwares and switch back and forth in minutes.

Cheers,
Geoff
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

PaddockFlyer wrote:I'll point out that my 9X has an Orange DSM2 module and a 9ch reciever for the hex.
Just one thing, have you seen the feedback on the DSM2 modules? There's a flood of reports of it being defective. I'm still waiting to receive mine, but until further notice it's pretty much unsafe to fly. HK are looking into it.
PaddockFlyer

Post by PaddockFlyer »

Kilrah wrote:
PaddockFlyer wrote:I'll point out that my 9X has an Orange DSM2 module and a 9ch reciever for the hex.
Just one thing, have you seen the feedback on the DSM2 modules? There's a flood of reports of it being defective. I'm still waiting to receive mine, but until further notice it's pretty much unsafe to fly. HK are looking into it.
No I hadn't heard that. I bought it early on but I haven't flown with it yet. If defective I hope they fix /reimburse
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

If you limit your channels to let's say 6 and make your frame rate/length under 20Ms your ch 2 won't act up or quit. So far however we've not had any actual test flying reports to say its a temp fix until HK works it out. A standard rate of 22Ms will cause ch 2 to really act up or quit. Some have crashed with stock TXs.
Big mess on HK's part right now and for all of us that bought one.
SM

ShowMaster
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Just be very careful even wth the <20ms workaround. Some on the HK page have reported they used it, it seemed fine, but they crashed just after takeoff.
PaddockFlyer

Post by PaddockFlyer »

Kilrah wrote:Just be very careful even wth the <20ms workaround. Some on the HK page have reported they used it, it seemed fine, but they crashed just after takeoff.
Thanks guys,

Don't worry I won't be testing 5K worth of camera and machine on a $30 part. The turnigy module is back in for now until I hear more. Apparently they will have an answer, either fix or reimburse by the 24th Nov. Not holding my breath but we'll wait and see.

In the meantime my smartieparts board should be on the way ;-)
MonkeysPunk

Post by MonkeysPunk »

I have set up my er9x and std turnigy 9x with six flight modes using a mix of the 3 way switch and a 2 way switch. I have there is a step by strep I will dig them both out.They both work perfectly but make sure you don't just copy the step by step output numbers as your will be different. This is also based on the APM flight controller so could be different for yours.
Last edited by MonkeysPunk on Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
MonkeysPunk

Post by MonkeysPunk »

PaddockFlyer

Post by PaddockFlyer »

Awesome. That's pretty straight forward with the step by step and I'm a novice as far as Tx goes.

However... The whole pulse thing has gone over my head though. How do I measure that?

Written was "I have used a servo programmer here as it is convenient for photos". Ok, so is there a way of measuring the pulse rate without this? Do I need to measure it? Are there "safe" or "certain" values to pop into those uprate and dnrates?

Thanks ;-)
MonkeysPunk

Post by MonkeysPunk »

What flight controller are you using. With APM in mission planner when you have your channels tab where you can see the bars move up and down with stick movement. Each bar will have a numerical figure for every movement and these are what you need to read. You will be able to tell as when you flick them on and off the bar will move.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
PaddockFlyer

Post by PaddockFlyer »

MonkeysPunk wrote:What flight controller are you using. With APM in mission planner when you have your channels tab where you can see the bars move up and down with stick movement. Each bar will have a numerical figure for every movement and these are what you need to read. You will be able to tell as when you flick them on and off the bar will move.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm using the ZeroUav ys-x6. I haven't got that far yet. I'm guessing the android interface for it will have a similar menu/setup.
MonkeysPunk

Post by MonkeysPunk »

This is the links I posted for another thread.
altereddezignz

Post by altereddezignz »

I hate to hijack this but it will not let me post a new thread. I need to calm down my controls inputs. When i get to half throttle using a slow gliding gradual raise of the throttle there is a spot where there is a big jump in throttle change. same with the rudder movements. It is on a hexacopter and a 9xr with a d8r-2 plus using a Naza controller with GPS.. Sorry if i have stepped on any toes buy asking this here.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Is that in atti or GPS modes when taking off? If yes then it's normal, it's the Naza's "auto takeoff" feature. It stays on the ground until your stick gets past the middle, then climbs rather rapidly to about 1m, and only then gives you control.

Return to “er9x / gruvin9x / th9 based firmwares”