Newbie .OMG,bitten off way to much

Programing help and example for all firmwares based on thus's th9 firmware.
Drushgavnush

Newbie .OMG,bitten off way to much

Post by Drushgavnush »

Hi
Really sorry to bother you ,it must get boring hearing the same questions over and over,I'm very new to all of this and my head hurts from trying to take it all in ,It's like a new language and reading through some posts ,I doubt I'll ever get to where I want to go?
I bought a couple of secondhand phantoms to spend some quality time with my young son ,from there I bought a f550 clone kit and a crashed one to canabalise.
That led me to buying a transmitter my beloved Taranis 9XE (now with carbon faceplate:0) I'm now well and truly in the "All the gear and no idea club " I bought my Taranis secondhand from Italy with plastic arms now upgraded ,with a x8R and a x6 r included in the deal .having subsequently hunted around I've paid the same price I could have bought a new one for (duh,plonker Rodders)
I've managed to swap the voice to English but not the text ,I think that needs doing via S.D card ? And that's what led me to here !,I also found some awesome sound packs for x9d with naughty ladies voice and cute chuckle ,I would dearly like to add these to my X9E as I hate stuff that beeps ,alarms,microwaves etc ..probably an age thing I'm 52 and feeling more and more that I don't belong in this high tech world ,I'm so bloomin Thick and don't want my son to find out how hopeless I really am as he still has me on a pedestal !
If any of you have the time or inclination would you please lend me a hand ,from reverting it back to English ,programming sound pack and last but not least getting to the point where I can programme her to be ready to bind with our copters.
I have nothing really to exchange for all of this ,however I would be indebted to whoever for the longest time .And if I could ever help with whatever I certain ally would .
This forum already seems way to advanced for me ,forgive me if I've interrupted the Gods at play ,I don't mean to offend anyone and if there is a more suitable site I should use please don't hesitate to send me off/ packing to it.
Thanks a million for taking the time even to read this post .All the best Andy Thompson .

rdeanchurch

Re: Newbie .OMG,bitten off way to much

Post by rdeanchurch »

I'm not sure what text you are talking about, but the LCD display language is selected when you select what firmware to download to the transmitter....it has nothing to do with the SD.

Do you use Companion?
It makes life easier.

What firmware is on your transmitter?
Long press MENU key, page over to VERSIONS.

I do not own a X9E, but do have an X9D and a QX7. Hopefully a X9E owner will jump in here and make sure what I'm saying is correct for the X9E also.
RCGroups,com has a very large base of Taaranis users. Most are helpful, and very Newbie tolerant ;-)
http://open-txu.org/ is an excellent starting resource.
Dean
OldDmbThms: 1. Takeoff, 2. Crash, 3. Repair, GOTO 1
Drushgavnush

Post by Drushgavnush »

Thanks so much for responding ,yes i did mean the lecd display language ( just didn't know the correct terminology ,soz)
I tried the long press on the menu key before and it came up with " configuratx" which I guessed meant configuration TX and scrolled through that menu but could not find versions ! However when I looked in the sd card under firmware it said x9e 2.1.6 so I'm guessing that's what I'm running at present is this correct or is it something different ?
I haven't at present downloaded any software due to being scared of downloading incorrect versions either too modern or too old .
Companion is the software that allows me to programme the transmitter via pc is that correct ?
Is there a correct version or will any do ?
Firmware ,am I ok to download 2.2 as it said now includes taranis Horus and qx7 but didn't mention 9xe whereas 2.1 said now supports x9e ?
There was also a software for sd card I believe ? Any advice is much appreciated ,thanks .
I've been looking at txt I believe where a chap called painless360 has done a lot of vids explaining things like what a boot loader is etc .
I can't find an idiots guide to programming the 9xe as I don't think it's as popular as the x9d for instance is this correct or am I just not searching in the right places !?
Thanks again for any pointers.
I'm on my third red bull and my heads hurting trying to fit all this in my tiny brain !
Drushgavnush

Post by Drushgavnush »

Can anyone answer is 2.2 good to use for X9e ?
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

The contents of the folder FIRMWARE on the SD does not necessarily reflect the firmware in the transmitters memory. It may, in fact probably, does, but that folder could also contain 2.1.5, 2.0.20, and 2.2.0 if you wanted it to, They are just files in a folder.
I do not recognize the words " configuratx". If you long press MENU, (Press and hold for a couple of seconds,) it should read "Radio Setup"
then PAGE over to a page label "VERSIONS", it should look more like this in content (this is for the Taranis QX7)

Almost everything related to any Taranis is the same for Taranis X9D, X9D+, X9E, and/or X7. Just where the buttons are and how to use them is a bit different in use.
I do not know of a purely X9E tutorial. As you say it is not as common as X9D(+) or X7 in use. The X9Dvariants are closest.

You can still down load Companion for 2.1.x, but it is only the latest version 2.1.9 (http://www.open-tx.org/downloads )
That version of companion can read your tx models and upgrade you to 2.1.9 should you choose to.

As a newbie, I would advise going to 2.2.0 for both Companion and tx firmware. They are a bit different than 2.1.x, but any future improvements will be only in 2.2.y. It is more time consuming to learn 2.1.x then learn 2.2.y later, than just to go there now.
2.2.0 covers all Taranis plus several other variants of hardware that use OpenTx.

Companion runs on PC, MAC and Ubuntu Linux...maybe other linux versions. You can use it to setup models, simulate their operation, and download to the tx. It can read existing models and store them on the PC. It can read and write firmware on the tx. To not use it is more time consuming for me. Some people only setup models on the tx. OpenTx is about choices. Choose whatever is most convenient and comfortable for you.
Attachments
VersionPNG.PNG
Dean

Drushgavnush

Post by Drushgavnush »

Thank you once again for responding ,I think the configuratx is configure TX but in Italian ,I did try the hold down the menu button for all different lengths of time ,even keeping it pressed when starting up and shutting down it just would not come up with Radio set up ! Might that bey the configura ?possibly set up being translated as configure ?
Any ways it's all immaterial now I downloaded companion ,and v2.2 squashed the two buttons /sliders turned on the unit and it read boot loader then gave me three options I chose flash firmware ...... But something has gone terribly wrong and I've bricked my taranis it will no longer boot up :0( and only squeezing the slider and powering on gives me any sort of response whatsoever,it then reads boot loader 2.1.6!!! Help please I've screwed up my taranis before I even started :0(
Sorry to be a pain ,I Dreaded this might happen and my worst fears have .Im just so thick when it comes to techy stuff .
Drushgavnush

Post by Drushgavnush »

I'm not completly panicking just yet .ive downloaded latest x9e firmware from FR Sky rc .com do I copy this to sd card and instal it from there or directly from my PC ?
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

ok, yes do NOT panic. Not booting is a symptom of loading the wrong firmware. It sounds like you are on the right path to correct.
And I forgot your language so 'configrua' may be Radio Setup...my bad.
You can do it either way.

Just use companion to write the firmware.
or
Shorten the name of the firmware name to something less than 32 characters. Put in the FIRMWARES or FIRMWARE folder...what ever that is in Italian or Spanish or whatever language...
But do not write it from FrSky's download.

because of the language confusion, I would suggest just using Companion to write it.

In fact in Companion after you download it, writing to the tx was suggested as a possibility if I remember correctly.
(hey, I'm 81, memory failures have become a fact of life ;-)

But do not write it from FrSky's download. They never tell the world what exactly is in their downloads and do not try to stay up todate with the OpenTx developers (who are completely independent of FrSky)

Get it from Companion via the download command under the FILES tab at the Download option.
Just make sure Companion is set up as an X9E, before downloading the firmware.
Dean
Drushgavnush

Post by Drushgavnush »

Dean Bless you !
And "Damnation " there goes my excuse of being " to old for all this sh!t " 81 ? People like you inspire me ,Thanks !
Ok don't panic mr mannering them fuzzy wuzzys at FR Sky don't like it up em ! On your advice I'll leave FR Sky firmware alone ;0)
Going to try the companion route again ,I may well have made the folder more than 32 characters long ,I will try and let you know my progress or lack of it accordingly .
There is a rather sensual ladies voice file and I want to be able to use that I've also chosen a snoopy image written for the taranis screen as I loved snoopy as a kid !
I realise first I e got to get proper firmware loaded ,just dreaming (0:
Thanks again Andy T.
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

The splash screen is part of the firmware. So after you have got firmware downloaded, you will have to do it again to get snoopy in it. I've used snoopy in my X9D..or Alf. (QX7 does not do graphics...damn!) After you get firmware to download one time, you will try to kick yourself where it is hard for foot to reach..
"How could be this simple and it took me so much pain to do?"
Adding a Spash screen will be easy.
I'll look at X9E specs for X9E LCD size and depth to see if my snoopy could be modified...or send me a copy of your favorite picture.
Making SplashScreens is also eay if you use InfanViev...a free graphics editor. I've made dozens.
Sexy lady is Amber...what a voice.
[email protected]
Dean
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

Sample
Attachments
Snoopy OpenTx Andy.png
Snoopy OpenTx Andy.png (1.11 KiB) Viewed 21181 times
Dean
Drushgavnush

Post by Drushgavnush »

That's the exact one I've been trying to load your a Genius ! Only mine didn't have my name or anything else in it ,wow,smarty pants ! Can I use this one you've created ?
Now for the bad news I tried with my son but it didn't work we've fallen out and now the Taranis is completely bricked ! Even the bootloader screen which was all that worked after my last attempt now does not come on ! Any Ideas please !pretty please !
Amber is that the lady with the voice and one of the cutest giggles I've ever heard ,I'm a
Out to make these sort of comments as I'm divorced 5 years now and got no one to tell me off or get jealous !
Thanks again Dean your help is really really appreciated
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

Very hard to completely brick it so it is not recoverable.
But it is scary. yeah, you know how I know what it feels like.

OK, probably bricked because you downloaded the wrong firmware.
X9D or X9D+ firmware is not X9E firmware.
In Companion2.2.0 correct?
If so make sure under the Settings in the top one or 2 lines of Companion you click on Settings, then scroll down and click Settings (yeah sounds a little redundant at first.)

Now change Radio Type to FrSky Taranis X9E...and you want to set the language to en for English (Sorry, no choice for American for us illiterates who do not speak good English)
The checkboxes should pretty much like mine unless the aircraft of interest to you is helicopters.
Some prefer Sqt5font, but that is a matter of taste.
Do not close this without click the 'OK' down at the bottom.
EditSettings.PNG Now you are ready to download the correct firmware from the big web/cloudy thing. Under File in the top of companion is a place to
click for downloads

In download it will put a window like the attached. If it does look like this, something is wrong
"opentx-x9e-multimodule-noheli-lua-luac-bindopt-massstorage-en-2.2.0.bin"

At this stage I usually just highlight
multimodule-noheli-lua-luac-bindopt-massstorage-en
and delete it to shorten the name
so I end up with
opentx-x9e-en-2.2.0.bin
and save it....NOTING where you save it.

When you get to this stage give me shout.
Next steps should be easy

Noy, I don't think, you can use that particular screen because it may be the wrong format. OpenRCForums does not allow posting .bmps for reeasons unknown to me/
Splash screens used to have to be .bmp but I have not tried .png lately. OPenTx is allways getting little improvements in useability.

EDIT. Attachments appear to be in reverse order.
...and what kind of aircraft are your favorites?
Most X9E's are used by glider guiders, I think...or tray flyers.
Attachments
DownLoad.PNG
EditSettings.PNG
Dean
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

Your move.

I can email you .bmp of Snoopy....and words you want instead of what I put in.
I believe the format 212x64 pixel images with a grey scale depth of 4 bits. But not confirm the 4 bits, it may be 2 bits so we may have to experiment on that.
Dean
Attachments
snoopy-WWI-Ace.png
snoopy-WWI-Ace.png (12.18 KiB) Viewed 21173 times
Dean
Drushgavnush

Post by Drushgavnush »

Hi Dean,
Wow I don't know how to thank you enough for all of this ?
To date I have 3 phantoms all secondhand and two DJI f550 'hexacopters more goodies like a fixed wing fpv etc to be added when finances permit !
Back to the serious stuff ,I'm not sure what I've done as most of what is in your very detailed explanation I thought I'd done or chosen as options ,I must be missing a step somewhere along the line tomorrow as its 00:44 here now ,I will go through your instructions step by step and contact you ,once again thanks for holding my hand through this I'd be scuppered without it and a lot greyer than I'm getting already ! You really are quite proficient at all of this !
Instead of feeling doomed and thwarted by all of this I'm quite hopeful now thanks to your input and Bless you for that .
Speak soon Andy T.
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

Gud day, Mate.
Only 6pm here.
Attachments
AndyPhantom3.png
AndyPhantom3.png (10 KiB) Viewed 21169 times
Dean
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

It is quite possible I forgot a step.
I'll do a little research.

Plenty of time as I do not participate in the nasty 4 letter habit of the young....

Work

The bane and curse of the drinking class.

Edit
OK, I just setup a radio profile for X9E in my Companon 2.2.0 (You can have several 'Radio Setups'. I have X9d, QX7, Horus and now X9E setup.)

I also tried to find and independant reference for you. X9E specific tutorials and videos seem rare...and out of date in many cases. I think we are on our own. And I am doing this without benefit of X9E hardware.

So first step. Get as Synchronized as possible.
1. Start companion.
2. got to Settings and click on it in the top 2 lines
3. Click on Set Icon Themes.
4. Click to the left of Classical. This is just so any pictures I send to you look similar on your PC to my PC.
5. close Companion and restart it so the above takes effect.

Next the top line has to look similar to my top line, or I skipped a step.
The key is that it says X9E.

So click on the sort of list ooking icon betweeb the yellow gear and the paint brush
The click 'Add a profile'
Delete 'New Radio and replace with X9E
Set 'Radio Type' to FrSky Taranis X9E
click to set the checkboxes as shown
Sometime soon we are going to want a 'SD Structure path'
This is a place on the PC that you want to look the contents of the SD

Note Mode and channel order down near the bottom.
I use Mode 2, a few of your blokes use Mode 1.
Channel Order is for a new model you setup to have as defaults. But after you have made a new model you can still change it. SO just pick your most common channel order. TAER is Jr/Spektrum and AETR is Futaba, I have no clue about DJI defaults. Or even what rf protocol they use.

I always check 'Append version number...
Write to tx...your preference, I do not check it.

more later, than other half beckons!
Attachments
EditSettings2PNG.PNG
TopLine.PNG
Last edited by rdeanchurch on Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dean
Drushgavnush

Post by Drushgavnush »

Hi Dean ,
Ok update so far I read a post that said if you disconnect the battery the bootloader bit will come back to life ,guess what ? It worked ! There's something to toast too (0;
Going to try the other bits after dogs walked and kids are fed and homework checked !
Speak soon your new Pal from Blighty ,Andy T.
Drushgavnush

Post by Drushgavnush »

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!
Attachments
Working controller on 2.2
Working controller on 2.2
Drushgavnush

Post by Drushgavnush »

Dogs got her legs crossed I'm off to take her for a happy walk (0;
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

Just checked, you can use those images I posted for splash screens. Companion now can process .png files.

If appearances count, it looks like you have liftoff!
Have fun.
Dean
Drushgavnush

Post by Drushgavnush »

Dean I'm so happy ! Your a real Gent and I can't thank you enough for holding my hand through all of this ,I've still got so much to learn ! But I suppose that's going to be part of the fun / sense of achievment and all that .It was nice because it was a joint effort this side of the Pond with me and my Son ,we rowed most of the way through it but dealing with frustrations is part of it .ive still not managed to do it from pc to controller ,this was following your instructions then copying file to sd card and then writing firmware on the taranis x9e ,but now we have a safe copy I feel confident because of you ! to muck about and experiment .
If I can ever do anything for you please give me a shout ,if you need something getting that you can't get there or anything like that just shout ,my email is [email protected]
You really are a clever clogs and a patient inspiring teacher ,Thank You your Pal from Blighty Andy T
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

Bob's your uncle and all that stuff.

No sweat, You are welcome.
Pay forward to the next bloke who needs help.
(Well you could hoist a pint for me.)
Dean
Drushgavnush

Post by Drushgavnush »

Hi Dean ,
Me again ! Is there a list of sayings that Amber says for the 2.2 sons pack ? For instance I know she has a couple of ways of doing the start up of your taranis device ,and yes the one I'm after is the you turn me on one 😊 I'm blushing ! Also she does a giggle and I've no idea where they are in the file ,or can you listen to them one by one and then asign them ?I know the intro has to called Tada but that's as far as I've got so far ,thanks Andy T.
Drushgavnush

Post by Drushgavnush »

I also understand that there are a couple of Amber packs on is supposed to be less serious and contains SNAFU etc which for me would be pertinent lol.
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

Amber link in this thread
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... ured-radio The first Post.
sounds from X7 will work on X9e. You may have to copy a file called "opentx.sdcard.version' from your SD card, so copy it to your PC and save it.

Windows has a media programthat will play them. Companion can also be used. In Special Fuctions set up a SF to
SFx SH↓ PlayTrack SoundFileName then hit the arrow just to the right of the name

I use the 'U Turn me on Giggle' also for hello.wav (new name for tada.wav)
Dean
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

Ohh, and Andy
This is am older version of SOUNDS...it has several files that have names longer than 6.3

These must be renamed to 6.3 format to be played on 2.2.0 firmware.

I don't know of anyone that has already done this. So can't provide link.

Since you only need to replace the SOUNDS folder with AMBER sounds for get the warning about saving the version file.
Dean

Return to “er9x / gruvin9x / th9 based firmwares”