ER9X help to slow down servo movement

Programing help and example for all firmwares based on thus's th9 firmware.
rfine7666

Post by rfine7666 »

Thanks in advance for any help
I am new to ER9X and I have a Flysky TH9X flashed with V1.96 Mike firmware, I am setting up a Trex 450 clone, Emax analog collective servos, Emax digital on tail with a GY401 gyro. I have followed Westy 450 setup guide and everthing seems to be working as it should.
Problem is the elev and ail servos are moving too fast, or should I say the center stick for elev and ail is way to sensitive, servo movements are too quick? I have tried using DR/Expo settings, I can limit the travel of the servos but even with 100% expo the rate of servo speed does not seem to slow down, or make the center stick less sensitive?
Is there any advise as to how to slow down the servo speed of movement, or make the center stick less sensitive?
thanks

Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

There is no reason you would ever want to slow down the servos for a helicopter. Slowing them would make it harder to control. The only reason to slow servo action down is something like deploying flaps or landing gear at an appropriate speed.

You are confusing control sensitivity with speed. What you need for any model, and especially a helicopter, is rapid action but appropriate response. You have two means to adjust response: rate and expo. The Dual Rate menu allows you to adjust both.

Rate sets the maximum throw of the servo and dual (or triple) rate allows you to select different rates. For example, if High Rate is set to 100% and represents the recommended mechanical setup for the heli, 70% might be an appropriate Low Rate for learning to fly and generally cruising around.

Expo causes the rate to vary from low around center to high at full throw. In other words, it desensitizes response around neutral and increases I at the end of travel it doesn't change maximum throw but makes the response curve into a shallow "S" rather than a straight line. An amount of 25% is typical.

Your problem is not with ER9X but with understanding how to set up a helicopter. You should look to an appropriate helicopter forum for help with your TRex 450 clone.
Last edited by Daedalus66 on Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kilrah

Re: ER9X help to slow down servo movement

Post by Kilrah »

I believe he understood he wants expo but didn't set it correctly so that it's not effective.
rfine7666

Post by rfine7666 »

Thanks to all for help
I have found out there is a problem with the ail movement in the stick control gimbal, only left to right ail movement, elev up and down is OK. The same center stick over sensitivity is present in all the model setup I have stored in this radio? It is like I have expo set to -100?
Is there a setting in the firmware I could have changed by accident to cause this or do I probably have to look at replacing the gimbal?
Thanks
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Check on the main display where the two squares show with "telltales" for the stick position. Does the AIL stick move the little circle OK? If not, you could try running the stick calibration.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Some more info if needed: (viewtopic.php?f=95&t=2974&hilit=Search+for+9x+Pot).
If pot is not reparable, you may want to consider replacing the Gimbals with Taranis Gimbals.

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
rfine7666

Post by rfine7666 »

thanks for help
The ail stick movement works tooooo good, very slightest move to the right or left ail stick and display graph is up to 80 to 100 percent, expo has no effect? There must be something wrong in the ail gimbal pot?
Probably order a new one to see if this is problem?
thanks
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Did you calibrate the sticks as Mike suggested?

João

Sent from my thor using Tapatalk

My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
rfine7666

Post by rfine7666 »

yes I have calibrated the sticks a couple of times no change?
Thanks
rfine7666

Post by rfine7666 »

Success Maybe
Today I calibrated the sticks 4 more times and now it seems to be working correctly as far as the display graph, have not tried to fly it yet?
After the first 3 calibrations there was no change?
Only other odd thing I notice is sometimes when I turn the transmitter on I will get a (switch error press any button) and there are no switches off zero or turned on?
Any ideas?
Thanks again for Help(when a person is new at this it can be confusing)
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

rfine7666 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:00 pm Success Maybe
Today I calibrated the sticks 4 more times and now it seems to be working correctly as far as the display graph, have not tried to fly it yet ?
After the first 3 calibrations there was no change ?
Just to let you know if (when) the pot or pots are faulty you may see them work correctly for a time after sticks calibration has been done.
So you should be cautious when (test them well) flying for real.
Bad pots are very unreliable and will randomly fail at any time.
Though you maybe OK with your fourth re-sticks calibration.

Bob B.
Last edited by bob195558 on Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
rfine7666

Post by rfine7666 »

Replacement stick gimbals ordered, Thanks again

Return to “er9x / gruvin9x / th9 based firmwares”