What does openTX Companion do at startup?

A fork of eePe. It's aim is to provide one tool that works with ALL firmwares!
timrowledge

What does openTX Companion do at startup?

Post by timrowledge »

Because I had a hard time making sense of the various tutorials and explanations of how to update a taranis (not plus) I'm attempting to write up a set of notes for myself as a way of making it clear to me. If it ever ends up looking readable I'll offer it to the opentxu guys...

Since I did eventually get through the process and don't really want to try to start from scratch again I'm going to ask about what is expected to happen in those early stages. I use a Mac, so it's also possible that things work a little differently on windows & linux and that will be interesting to know about.

The downloading and installing of both dfu-util and opentx companion was perfectly understandable and caused no issues. As usual with an unsigned app I had to do the little OS X gatekeeper dance to tell the system that yes I really want to run it.

The first time I ran it there was no TX connected at all and nothing surprising happened that I remember. The opentxu page http://open-txu.org/home/undergraduate- ... ng-opentx/ implies that on Windows it might automatically check for updates for the firmware. Is that correct? It seems like a dangerous thing to do before the type of transmitter has been set, as I found out to my cost. After manually choosing to download I got the plus version and had all the expectable (if you know about it!) problems until I spotted a mention of setting the TX type. After that it was simple. Oddly enough it seems some people with pluses have found that the default download was for the non-plus, which leaves me a bit nonplussed.

Return to “companion9x”