Spyware in c9x?!

A fork of eePe. It's aim is to provide one tool that works with ALL firmwares!
sgofferj

Spyware in c9x?!

Post by sgofferj »

After downloading the source from GitHub, I noticed googleanalytics.cpp and googleanalytics.h in the source tree.
However, I haven't found any notification about Google Analytics being used in c9x, neither on the website, nor in the forums, nor at any other place.

Google Analytics is very disputed and at least in Europe permanently on the radar of data protection commissioners. I personally consciously don't use any Google services and most certainly do not want that Google gets any kind of data from my personal PC!

If you use Google Analytics in c9x, you should at the very least inform the users that you do so - which also is a legal requirement in Europe - and you should give people the chance to deactivate that Google spyware!

Kilrah

Re: Spyware in c9x?!

Post by Kilrah »

Huh?
Most websites in the world use Analytics, and I've never seen any one that would mention it.
Analytics is about anonymous statistics, no tracking or personal data involved.
sgofferj

Post by sgofferj »

Analytics gives the WEBMASTER anonymous statistics, but Google itself does NOT collect the data anonymously! They use it for tracking users!
On Android, Analytics reports all kinds of information about the device and installed software(!) to Google, so there is no reason to assume that on a PC they would be less greedy for data.
The fact remains that Google in general and Analytics in particular is on the radar of DP agencies in Europe and websites in Europe MUST tell if they use Analytics. In Germany, it is even being discussed that using Analytics might be illegal for an EU-based website because the data is processed in the USA and therefore the very strict EU privacy laws can't be enforced.

Also, in some European countries, DPAs have opened investigations against Google and manufacturers of Smart TVs after a German Computer Magazine (c't) found out that some Smart TVs silently contact Google Analytics and report viewing statistics.

Generally, you can say that - at least in Europe - if you transmit any kind of data about the user, anonymously or not - you need to inform the user and ask permission, otherwise, you risk not only losing trust if this comes out accidentally, e.g. by a user looking at the code. You also risk a DPA investigation which can lead to hefty fines.

Edit:
An example for Google's spying uncovered: http://stefan.gofferje.net/news-blogs/s ... ore-spying
dvogonen

Re: Sv: Spyware in c9x?!

Post by dvogonen »

You have downloaded the code. Why don't you just read it and find out if it is spying or not? It is all out in the open. I have personally no idea what the Google analytics are used for and would be interested to find out more.
sgofferj

Post by sgofferj »

The code I have found just calls some functions of Analytics through web calls of which I don't know what they do. OpenTX is open source. Analytics is not.
But Analytics is by definition spying because they track user behavior to provide "better targeted" advertising and Google correlates data from all their sources.
The information they provide to webmasters and developers basically is only a waste product of their user tracking and they use it as a bait to get webmasters and developers to actually use their tracking code.

bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

I wanted to have statistics especially on downloads. But it appears they are completely wrong compared to the numbers we have on the compilation server itself so it will be removed very soon (the implementation is a little bit tricky)! There is no personal information at all of course, as Kjell says, the code is open, just have a look to it!

Return to “companion9x”