Asymmetric servo movment for trainer

A fork of eePe. It's aim is to provide one tool that works with ALL firmwares!
TrueBuild

Asymmetric servo movment for trainer

Post by TrueBuild »

Hi all,
I now have my old TX acting as a buddy box through my Taranis.
Unfortunately, the servo throws are all asymmetric :(

So I want to make throws as Trainer match the Taranis.
I need to change the throws when the SH trainer switch is active.
I am sure I can do it but I'm stuck as to how.
Some pointers would be most welcome :)

tonnie78

Re: Asymmetric servo movment for trainer

Post by tonnie78 »

What old tx are you using. I know multiplex used to have a slightly different ppm signal. On my mpx cockpit you could set your channel to mpx or uni. For use with the taranis as a buddybox I have it set to uni otherwise the centers are of and the trows are asymmetrical
TrueBuild

Post by TrueBuild »

I was using an old JR Propo Model 127F a wonderful transmitter and rx of it's day (you could even swivel the joystick mount to counteract the asymmetry of thumb movement)

After finding out that I could not get the darn thing working correctly I realised that the trainer socket I had added was just where the pilot put's his left hand :(
The darn thing is too heavy as well for a child.
All in all a failure.

What I really need now is a second hand 35meg 6 channel radio that has a trainer port.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

It doesn't have to be a 35mHz. And they are normally heavier..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

I find that the DX4e is ideal for use as a buddy box by a child (in my case a 9-year old grandson). It's small and light, needs just four AA alkalines, and works well with the Taranis. There are lots around left over from RTF models and they usually sell for about $25 used. As a bonus, one can strip the RF module and still keep the Tx as a buddy box, while using the module to provide DSMX/DSM2 capability for the Taranis. Also, removing the RF module makes the batteries last forever.

TrueBuild

Post by TrueBuild »

Daedalus66 wrote:I find that the DX4e is ideal for use as a buddy box by a child (in my case a 9-year old grandson). It's small and light, needs just four AA alkalines, and works well with the Taranis. There are lots around left over from RTF models and they usually sell for about $25 used. As a bonus, one can strip the RF module and still keep the Tx as a buddy box, while using the module to provide DSMX/DSM2 capability for the Taranis. Also, removing the RF module makes the batteries last forever.
Just had look at the DX4e on ebay most seem to be mode 2. I need a mode 1.
Looking at the manual the DX4e has a switch for mode but from mode 2 to 4 (understandable since it is a mechanical difference)
Two versions of the DX4e are available: mode 1/3 and mode 2/4. The mode
switch changes the transmitter from mode 1 to mode 3 or from mode 2 to mode

Is it easy to convert the DX4e from mode 2 to mode 1?

Is the disconnecting the RF section just unsoldering or unplugging a RF board?
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

TrueBuild wrote: Just had look at the DX4e on ebay most seem to be mode 2. I need a mode 1.
Looking at the manual the DX4e has a switch for mode but from mode 2 to 4 (understandable since it is a mechanical difference)
Two versions of the DX4e are available: mode 1/3 and mode 2/4. The mode
switch changes the transmitter from mode 1 to mode 3 or from mode 2 to mode

Is it easy to convert the DX4e from mode 2 to mode 1?

Is the disconnecting the RF section just unsoldering or unplugging a RF board?
You probably need get a transmitter on the correct mode unless you are fairly ambitious about reworking the innards of the DX4. No easy way is provided to switch from mode 2 to mode 1. I haven't explored in detail, but I assume that at a minimum it would involve rewiring the stick pots and, of course, changing the centering and friction on the sticks.

Removing the RF module requires using solder wick and/or sucker to free up the pins on a small board. Not terribly hard but you need the right equipment. But if you don't need the module, you can just leave it in there; when you plug in the trainer cable, the encoder turns on but the RF stays off. My comment about battery life was misleading, as removing the module isn't needed.

Bottom line: Find a DX4 on mode 1, buy a proper JR/Spektrum trainer cable, set up Taranis as master, plug in DX4e.

EDIT: I thought it was time to check that a DX4e still works with Taranis, as it had been months and an upgrade to v2 firmware since I actually tried it. Happy to say it still works as advertised.

One thing to note with the DX4e is that it has mechanical trims which are easy to move. When I use one as a buddy box, I sometimes put tape on the trims to make sure they don`t move. You don`t have this issue with the DX5e, which is the obvious alternative transmitter and equally readily available. But it's a bigger box and less suitable for a child's hands.
KAL

Post by KAL »

Here in Germany is a guy that sells DX4 without TX module very cheap from time to time.
He is harvesting the modules for creating external spektrum modules for Futaba radios which he is also selling.

See here

Klaus
( TH9X / 9XTreme / FrSky DHT / Spektrum / Multi / RotEnc )
( 9XR PRO / erSKY9x  / FrSky DHT / Spektrum / Multi / RotEnc / P3 as Slider )
TrueBuild

Post by TrueBuild »

KAL wrote:Here in Germany is a guy that sells DX4 without TX module very cheap from time to time.
He is harvesting the modules for creating external spektrum modules for Futaba radios which he is also selling.

See here

Klaus
I was all ready to buy one then I notice he does not post to the UK and I'm not sure of the cost of postal cost to get one here.
They look just what I need and at 9.29 euros inc p&P in Germany they seem a good deal.

As for swapping modes it looks a doddle...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1542009
KAL

Post by KAL »

Sorry,

I didn't see that. DHL wants about 9 Euro for a parcel from Germany to UK
where the sum of lenght, width and height doesn't exceed 90 cm and a single
side lenght doesn't exceed 60 cm. So why not contacting the seller?

Klaus
( TH9X / 9XTreme / FrSky DHT / Spektrum / Multi / RotEnc )
( 9XR PRO / erSKY9x  / FrSky DHT / Spektrum / Multi / RotEnc / P3 as Slider )
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

TrueBuild wrote: As for swapping modes it looks a doddle...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1542009
I should have found that one!

You're right. And one thing that makes it particularly easy is that the trims are mechanical, so there is only one pot per stick, so just two sets of three wires to swap.

Hold everything! The light just went on (the one in my head).

It just occurred to me that along the way, probably about 2013, the design of the DX4e was changed so that it's possible to change the mode in firmware. I actually did it once on a friend's DX4e but had forgotten. Here are the instructions:

1. Starting with the radio off, set the ACT/AUX switch down (ON), RATE switch down (LO), hold down TRAINER / BIND button.
2. Hold sticks as per the diagram below (left stick in top left corner, right stick in bottom left corner)
3. Turn on the transmitter and wait until the tones stop, then release sticks and TRAINER / BIND button.

Here's the source:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... ostcount=7

The problem is making sure you get a recent transmitter. There's no easy tip off, except that very recent ones have a three position channel 5 switch. Of four I tested at that time, only one responded to the above instructions. So if buying sight unseen, be prepared to do some soldering, but before you do, try this approach.

Return to “companion9x”