Turnigy 9x on Safle Flight Apprentice Rx

Not sure what firmware to use? Making a new firmware? Ask in here!
whaddeva

Turnigy 9x on Safle Flight Apprentice Rx

Post by whaddeva »

Hi,

Returning back to RC after 15 years of inactivity... I got Turnigy 9x, upgraded with Smarty Parts board so I can flash EEPROM. Purchased Safe Flight Apprentice Receiver, now need to bind it. The question is what firmware should I use to achieve this task in the easiest, least complicated way? I got working openTX and I have already uploaded er9x just to test.
If anybody has it working correctly on their 9x, can you please advise me with some step by step instructions.

Thanx

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Turnigy 9x on Safle Flight Apprentice Rx

Post by MikeB »

The first question is do you have a Tx module that works with the receiver? I doubt the Tx module that comes with the 9X will work.

The Tx module supplied is DSSS protocol and I think your receiver is DSM protocol. A link to your receiver would be useful so we can check this.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
whaddeva

Post by whaddeva »

Hi Mike,
Thank you for speedy reply. It is just receiver
here is the link
http://www.modelflight.com.au/radios/ai ... fe-rx.html
my apology should have put in the subject correct name so it is Safe Flite Apprentice S :oops:

Thank you

Regards
Bill

Post by Bill »

To control this receiver you need a dsm2 dsmx transmitting module, the module in the stock 9x will not bind with it.
You will need to get an orange Tx module or similar:
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__ ... ible_.html
Sorry its not like the old days of 72 MHz when almost any tx would operate any rx on the same frequency now its all very specific.
“A good politician is quite as unthinkable as an honest banker”
They used to say "if you don’t want to work at McDonald’s, go to college." Now they say "if you want to work at McDonald’s, go to college.”
whaddeva

Post by whaddeva »

Bill

Post by Bill »

It says it fits the Turnigy, and is DSM2 / DSMX , so yes. You will need to remove the existing module which has an aerial wire leaving from the back of it to the internal antennae (if its the version sold by hobbyking). You can just cut the wire if you don't intend to use the module.
“A good politician is quite as unthinkable as an honest banker”
They used to say "if you don’t want to work at McDonald’s, go to college." Now they say "if you want to work at McDonald’s, go to college.”
whaddeva

Post by whaddeva »

Thanx everyone who replied and helped.
After a bit of research, decided to buy Spectrum DX5e from local shop (AUD 140 and they will set up everything for me) to bind it with E-flite Apprentice. Will use it to regain confidence and skills I once had. Any other option was just slightly cheaper, with excessive postage time and on the top of it, no 100% guarantee that will bind.
Will hit the field this weekend.... :D :D :D
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

The 9x approach certainly works and presents no problems binding, but it does require specific setup of the transmitter to work with the SAFE technology of the Apprentice. The DX5e is simpler and more straight forward. But you will be glad you have the 9X when you get to more advanced models. I would suggest going to DSMX rather than using the stock module.

You will find the beginner mode of SAFE very limiting, good for one or two flights, perhaps, but it limits the attitude of the aircraft severely. Intermediate is a good choice for getting used to flying again, being a combination of self-leveling with pretty good responsiveness. But soon you will want to go to advanced, which essentially provides modest stabilization to counteract turbulence but leaves the model fully mznueverable. And you have the panic switch to get you out of trouble. A very nice setup for a trainer.
whaddeva

Post by whaddeva »

Thank you Daedaluss66, that exactly is the aim. I will buy orange tx module which is both DSM2 and DSMX compatible and naturally I am keeping Turnigy 9x and I have already updated firmware. Problem was Orange was not readily available on Hobby King and elsewhere was approximately AUD 120-130 combined with postage. This was lame quick solution for me to get into rc flying ASAP. E-flite has nice safety features until I regain confidence. Ultimately I want to get into medium range FPV on petrol motor UAV platform. Got to start somewhere :-)
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

For FPV you may be better off using an FrSky module and receiver.

Return to “other”