[gesture control project] Installing OpenTX on Arduino board

Not sure what firmware to use? Making a new firmware? Ask in here!
Filip

[gesture control project] Installing OpenTX on Arduino board

Post by Filip »

Dear all,

I am working on the project that's goal is to create a gesture recognition device, a glove to control a UAV that uses ArduPilot.

Sensors will be used to get the input from the user; next, the input signal will be processed by an Arduino board to get the commands that can be recognized using OpenTX and later on send to the UAV using a RF module.
FrSky Taranis board could be used, but as the main goal is to reduce the cost, I lean towards using an Arduino board.
I read in the other topic that Arduino Due is the best choice as
it uses the same processor as the 9XR-PRO (AT91SAM3S8)
that is compatible with OpenTX software.

The topic is 6 months old and a new option might have come up during that time that I am not aware of - what do you think?
The other option is to buy just the board from FrSky Taranis/9XR-PRO, but does anyone sell these?

Thank you in advance,

Filip

Kilrah

Re: [gesture control project] Installing OpenTX on Arduino b

Post by Kilrah »

The Taranis mainboard and LCD are available as spares from most sellers that carry the radio.

If you don't need the "advanced" features (SD card, audio etc) you could also look at the standard 9XR mainboard (with atmega128). It sells for ridiculously cheap, $6 if I remember well.
Or just a breakout board with an atmega64/128, I've made such a "headless" device recently. Just the chip, a crystal, an usbasp programmer and the couple of pots/switches I needed. No LCD, just using the PC with companion to configure.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC... But I just realized that if using eepe or eepskye (instead of companion) and an arduino, kilrah's device could be configured without having to guess the configurations and flash the eeprom several times, as it could be done in real time through serial and then just flashed once.. of course one could see things happening in realtime instead of some simulator window :D
Shame that companion devs didn't want to implement it :( :D END OF OFF TROPIC.

jOÃO
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Filip

Post by Filip »

Thank you very much Kilrah.
You are right, Turnigy 9XR mainboard sells for just $7.39 from HK.
FrSky Taranis mainboard is much more expensive as it costs £39.19.

I have a dilemma though; I will be using an Arduino board to process user input from the glove into a coherent set of comands that can be read by Taranis/9XR board. I am not sure whether 9XR board will be enough as I will have to connect a RF module to it as well as find a way to load the models and commands. What do you think?

Apologies for quite newbie questions. :roll:
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Why use a taranis / 9xr board at all? Your arduino could do all required mixing etc and directly output a PPM signal to an RF module.

Envoyé de mon SM-G900F en utilisant Tapatalk

Filip

Post by Filip »

I am not sure whether all the signal processing as well as OpenTX can run on one Arduino Mega board at the same time. Can it do two tasks at the same time without lagging? I will need a speaker and microSD slot connected to Arduino to load the sounds and therefore to know which flight mode is chosen.
Do you know answer to this question?

Return to “other”