Question to Trainer/Sim-Plug

Where to find parts? Refactoring your entire transmitter, new cases? Sticks etc..
manu

Question to Trainer/Sim-Plug

Post by manu »

Hi to all

I have two tx, one with 9xJeti and one with 9xFRSky. The FRSky has a Smartiepartsboard, the Jeti doesn't.
It seems that I have probs with the FRSky using as a Simulator Device. There is no clean PPM Signal out thru the trainer plug of the Tx. The same configuration works perfect with the 9xJeti as a Simulator Device. Both Tx work without probs out on the field.
When I use both for a Trainee/Trainer System:
9xJeti as Trainee and FRSky as Trainer works perfect.
FrSky as Trainee and 9xJeti as Trainer doesn't work most all the time. Sometime but very seldom it works. But sometime even the 9xJeti as Trainer gets mixed up (wrong channels) even when I unplug the Trainee. I have to switch off the TRN switch to return to normal.
FrSky has the PPM Mod, also w/o the mod the prob remains. 9xJeti hasn't the PPM mod but works w/o problems, strange.
Is this just a HW issue (on a $50 Radio) and just avoid to use it as a Trainee Device? Or is the trainer plug broken (by eye there is no problem visable). Or has it something to do with the SP Board? Does anybody have similar experiences?
best regards
manu

wilco1967

Re: Question to Trainer/Sim-Plug

Post by wilco1967 »

@manu

Will the trainee Tx go to slave mode correctly when inserting the trainer cord, with the power switch off ?
This should be visible in the trainer screen, where you normally set the config for the slave function (2/6). If it goes to slave mode correctly, it will write only the word 'slave' there. If the normal screen is there, it did not switch to PPM output, and is expecting PPM INput FROM another Tx.

I had a similar problem with the first FRSky telemetry mod I did. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... st19053797. The telemetry wiring was providing some power to the DHT module, when the trainer cord was inserted, but the power switch off. This was visible by the Frsky DHT module led dimly lit.
Only once in a while, did it switch correctly to slave mode. The rest of the time it was thinking it was in trainer (master) mode....
When I disconnected just the telemetry send wire (receive wire still connected), all was ok.
The telemetry worked just fine, as long as not used as a slave.

After I changed the Frsky telemetry mod to a RS232 level converter, instead of the direct wired mod in the above link, all was OK....

Probably not the same issue as you got, but might give a few hints to solve your problem.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Maybe this helps?
If you added the HK backlight without making the fix for the wrong wiring jumper it will not let the trainer work.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... ount=12455

There is a fix for it as well as adding the 1K resistor in the 9X ppm circuit to reduce the loading of the ppm when some modules are installed but I think you've done that.. I don't think the Frsky DHT loads the circuit but it's worth looking into.
Do you own a scope or a scope program? useful in troubleshooting my PPM out issues I had.
SM
manu

Post by manu »

Thanks for all the research.
Just to clarify, I have the following configuration:
Turnigy 9x
HW mods:
FrSky DHT 8ch DIY Telemetry Compatible Transmitter Module
Smartieparts Board and EL driver
ZIPPY Flightmax 1800mAh 9.9V 5C LiFePo4 TX Pack
FrSky Telemetry mods by Mike Blandford.
PPM fix for the 9x by J.H.
SW mods:
ER9x-FRSKY-NOHT r646 va.5185-erez

On the field every thing works perfect.
EDIT: Its' about the same as my old motorcycle. Taken all apart, looked at it, cleaned it, reassembled and everthing works perfect, mystic world.
Now I realized the cordless trainer, runs like a charm, will report in another thread.
Thx to all
manu

Return to “Hardware Mods”