Modifications status

Where to find parts? Refactoring your entire transmitter, new cases? Sticks etc..
Irish Steve

Modifications status

Post by Irish Steve »

Ok Folks,

A plea from a relative newbie, things are moving so fast in some areas, like sound, it's getting hard to keep up with the status of the different mods to the boards.

I'm almost afraid to ask for this, as I suspect the only people that can produce this list are the people that are closest to the programming, and it's clear that they're already under massive pressure from the pace of developments, but the other side of that coin is that if we don't get a better handle on what's needed, there's a danger of putting people off what is and should continue to be a very worthwhile product, which would be a pity.

As an example, I think I've read in one of the many threads that on the stock board, the backlight control pin has changed so that it can be used to control something to do with sound, but it was one of those things that sort of registered, as at the time, I was researching the new Sky card, as I've 3 of them to fit soon.

In the same breath, I'm wondering if it's possible to fit the digi key multi function switch into a stock board TX, I suspect it will need a small interface board or similar to get the data into the board in a way that doesn't compromise the performance and memory.

I guess that what's needed, and I will be the first to admit that I don't understand the boards and mods well enough to help with it, we need a wiki or guide of some sort (please NOT a youtube video) that outlines which hardware mods are still relevant or need to be upgraded as a result of other modifications, and a list of the nice to have, good idea, essential, won't work without it statuses of each mod, and notes on any mods that are mutually exclusive.

Maybe something as simple as a spreadsheet type grid that has the details of the mod, if it needs specific hardware, and what it needs, and any gotchas like a later mod makes this unnecessary, or it has to be changed if another mod is also used.

Anyone got any better ideas?

Steve
Irish Steve

If it was easy, shure, would't we all be doin it?

_

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Modifications status

Post by MikeB »

Quite a good idea, but as you say it needs time to produce. Maybe, if someone can take on the production of such a list/table, and ask for specific information that is not clear in the wiki.

Specific answers:
If you add the voice mod, then yes, the backlight control pin is used, however, the voice mod then provides the backlight control so you don't lose any functionality.
I'm thinking about the multi-function switch, my current idea is to use the TelemetrEZ board (prototypes being programmed now) to provide the required extra inputs and processing. We need to get it working for it's original function first though.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Irish Steve

Re: Modifications status

Post by Irish Steve »

Mike,

Thanks, and I have to admit I had you in mind with the thought of overstretched, if I knew enough, I'd try to help, but I have to be realistic and recognise that it's going to take me a couple of months to get up to speed and to having the hardware in place to be able to work with the code in any way other than as executables.

I will try and make notes as I'm going along that might be useful as a road map to the different issues, I've 4 radios here at the moment, a 5th on the way soon (I hope) and 3 of them are about to be converted to Sky boards with the new rotary and FRsky modules, so I've a pretty steep learning curve to get to grips with.

Will give Steve a shout re the TelemetEZ cards and see if he's got any left, I don't mind trying to help a little there, having a set that's not required for flying seems to be the starting point in this scenario, at least that way things can be tested without putting a possibly expensive model at risk.

Thanks for the fast and helpful response, it's appreciated.

Steve
Irish Steve

If it was easy, shure, would't we all be doin it?

_

Return to “Hardware Mods”