Fried 9X horizontal trim PCB

General mods that are considered worth doing; regardless of the end firmware you use.
thinepa

Fried 9X horizontal trim PCB

Post by thinepa »

So I was attempting to replace my stock 9X gimbals with taranis gimbals and in trying to remove the old gimbal wires from horizontal trim PCB, I believe I fried the trim PCB through extremely poor soldering (or desoldering) skills.
One of the new gimbals works fine, but I get no response whatsoever when I install the other new gimbal. I tried replacing with the stock gimbal and still get no response from the sticks, but the trim buttons do still function.

My question: assuming there's no way to repair this board (by ordinary human means), is there a place to procure a replacement horizontal trim PCB? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_4495.JPG
IMG_4491.JPG

thinepa

Re: Fried 9X horizontal trim PCB

Post by thinepa »

Had a thought overnight:
Assuming the board is toast and there's no way to get another trim board, could I directly solder the output wires from the gimbal pits to the input wires coming from the board? Easy enough to get the pos & Neg wires figured out, but I'd need to figure out which of the remaining 4 wires transmit which signal. I don't think a multimeter would help on this one, as the board is fried. Anyone know the pinout of this board offhand?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

You may have broken some tracks on the board. It is difficult to be sure with all the flux residue. It is worth trying to clean this off, I usually use some cellulose thinners on a "cotton bud".
The connections should be:
Blue wire - Analog VCC
Green wire - vertical stick signal
Yellow wire - horizontal stick signal
Orange wire - Analog ground.

Worth checking with a multi meter you see 3.3V between the orange wire and the blue wire.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
thinepa

Post by thinepa »

I was able to get a multimeter and determine that my signal and ground were good, but Vcc was not working, so I soldered the red wires from the taranis gimbal directly to the blue cable/pin and all is working as it should!

Thanks for the help Mike!

Return to “Electronic Mods”