Introducing: TelemetrEZ

All mods related to the frsky telemetry series of the firmware
gohsthb

Re: Introducing: TelemetrEZ

Post by gohsthb »

Prior to r800 I was getting jumps in the T1 value. Normal values were 250-300 F, it would jump to 412 or so. R800 seems to have fixed that.
-Gohst

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Hoovernaut

Post by Hoovernaut »

I was out today and flying with 801.
The undefined warnings for T2 are still there, but now the RPM shows only unreal numbers. Before it shows the real rpm of about 2000 and now it shows something between 6000 and 9000! ! ! No. of blades ist still 2.
Turnigy 9X with er9x, FrSky DHT DIY, Haptic mod, Smatiparts board with backlight, Smartiparts TelemtrEZ board, Painted white, Flying with Mode 2
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

What model (heli?) and what sensor are you using?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Hoovernaut

Post by Hoovernaut »

I am flying a Rex 550 with sensor hub plugged in T1, T2, RPM, FLVS, FAS100
Turnigy 9X with er9x, FrSky DHT DIY, Haptic mod, Smatiparts board with backlight, Smartiparts TelemtrEZ board, Painted white, Flying with Mode 2
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

What rpm sensor? Is your heli fly bar less?

Hoovernaut

Post by Hoovernaut »

RPM01 from Frsky. And yes, FBL (Tarot)
nielsbusch

Post by nielsbusch »

Lenop wrote:strange problem popped up today: my DJT module continuously beeps very loud.
I have a normal connection with my 2-way receiver and the rssi levels are good. Receiver gest input from transmitter: I can move servos.
After I installed Telemetrez I also get loud beeps from my DJT module. A beep every half second or so. I also have very limited range. In range check mode I get five meters. I don't know if it's related to Telemetrez or not. It only happens after the TX has connected to the models receiver. All my models are affected by this. Besides that, my Thermal Scout Vario works so something is right. I haven't updated the telemetrez firmware. I'm using open9x-r1726.

Niels
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

The firmware that comes with the tez has a bug, so it doesn't send anything to the module (alarm setting, etc). Upgrade to the latest stable.
-Gohst

gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

Hoovernaut, my thinking was maybe the sensor was catching the paddles on the flybar, and increasing your number. I didn't have good luck with my rpm sensor (couldn't get it to read).
-Gohst

Hoovernaut

Post by Hoovernaut »

I have the latest Firmware on the tez. Before 801 it has worked fine, and headspeed was correct (tested with an optical hand rpm-meter) I am wodering about the wide range it is measuring wrong now (between 4000 and 9000 randomly)
Could it be a problem with an antenna which is close to a part of the wire of rpm-meter? But it was always there before update.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've never got my RPM sensor to read reliably either.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

At a hobby show I saw a electric rpm meter that just connected to the motor windings. No photo cell or Hall effect sensor used. Any idea on how it works?
No good for nitro planes but for electric it would be nice.
SM
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

Connected to the motor winding, you mean soldered in with them?
Then what it is doing is reading the pulses to the motor. From the frequency of the pulses it can compute the RPM.
If the wires are not soldered then it might be possible that it uses hall effect sensors to read the pulses from the wires.
-Gohst
Hoovernaut

Post by Hoovernaut »

Okay guys, I have just found out today that the abnormal values from the RPM are a result from the antenna, which was parallel on a length for about 1 or 2 inches with zip ties with the wire from the RPM. I have rerouted the antenna position and now the RPM works like before. ( I don't know why others have trouble with the RPM, my works nearly perfect now)
Now I have to check if I have to reroute the wires from T2 and FLVS, too. The T2 jumps are always existing, but the wire is not very close to one the antennas. And I have found out that the value from one cell from the FLVS is also showing jumps which are resulting in false alarms. Annoying... but I am still investigating... what is difficult when flying and unable to look on the display in time.
Hoovernaut

Post by Hoovernaut »

Found out today that it wasn't the antenna of the RX. Today it shows again some values that are far off reality. Sometime it shows right values, sometimes I have the feeling it is counting up. In one flight it has shown up to 16.000 rpm.... begining from 2.000... really don't know what it is.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

We may need a TEZ firmware update to handle the XJT SPort telemetry protocol.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

Ok just point me to what a packet looks like, I should be able to put it in. Will the module transmit both Normal packets and S.Port packets at the same time? Or does it do one or the other?
-Gohst
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Only SPort packets from the XJT (even in D8 mode) and only Hub packets from the DJT/DHT. The SPort packets are at 57.6 kbaud.

Mike.

Edit: PM sent with more details.
erskyTx/er9x developer
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Just a couple of notes regarding the latest batch of TelemetrEZ that arrived today (which affects most orders > #6760). Despite the fact the boards are still marked as "Rev 1.0" (which could be seen as a mistake), there are two minor changes:
  • The units now ship with firmware v86 (latest at time of production)
  • Due to a slight miscommunication... the boards are missing their onboard LED. The LED was actually only ever put on there to assist the factory in production (it made their testing easier). If for any reason it has become useful to the end-user, an LED may be attached (along with a current limiting resistor of perhaps 200 to 1000 ohms) between ground and "J" on the expansion header (see attached image)
- Steven
Attachments
telemetrez_led_mod.jpg
Alex2m

Post by Alex2m »

Hi all,

I haven't installed my Tez yet, I bought it well ahead of the FrSky DJT and receiver.

Now that the XJT is out, there is a question ... Will it work with the Tez? Has anyone tried? The DJT is really inexpensive now, but it's starting to become scarce ... Should I buy one while I can, or get the future-proof XJT and risk it not working in my 9x (with Open Tx for now, somehow it worked better for me and my mixes than er9x)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

It won't work with the XJT if you connect to pin 5 of the module connector as this is only the SPort protocol. It should work if you connect the TeZ to the 4-pin connector on the back of the XJT, although I haven't tried it.
There may be a software update available in the future that works with the SPort protocol.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
NoRCExperience

SOLVED

Post by NoRCExperience »

SOLVED
Hi all,

I flashed the most current hex (r89) from the stock firmware (? bought sometime in the spring) and no I have NO DATA displayed on my telemetry screen. I also flashed opentx to r2834 at the same time (downloaded via config tool).

I don't know where to start to diagnose this. Can some one verify the cable orientation on the TEZ? I made a 10 pin straight cable and when installed VCC is in the top of the back row (away from the silk screened notch).

Thanks!
Smartieparts pointed out to REMOVE all connections to the TEZ on the V1 board before flashing. I reflashed it with the stable release and not r89. All works again. Thanks!
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

MikeB wrote: There may be a software update available in the future that works with the SPort protocol.

Mike.
It is in the works.
-Gohst

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Hello All,
what is the latest stable release?
Not r89 I assume?
Custom 9x with M64/Telemetry Mod
FHoevi

Post by FHoevi »

Hi guys,
I just finished applying this mod http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/ ... forwarding (except for a 22k instead of the 20k resistor), successfully established a BT connection with my smart phone but no data gets transmitted. Do I have to flash a different firmware to the TelemetrEZ board? If so, which one?

I'd be happy about any support in this direction...

Cheers
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

R86 is the stable version. Is listed on the Google code page code.Google.com/p/9x-telemetrez.
If you are running another version would be worth upgrading. That could be why your bt isn't working.
-Gohst

FHoevi

Post by FHoevi »

Thanks a lot for this hint, I will do that asap. The currently used firmware on my board is presumably already quite old since I did not upgrade since I installed the board about a year ago.

Another question: On the LCD display the TelemetrEZ pages flip automatically from time to time without pressing a button on the Tx. Eventually I get to the page where the different models could be chosen (so switching or even deleting could be possible) while flying which is obviously quite dangerous. Could this be caused by a not perfectly synchronized transmission from the Rx? I'm using MultiWii code and I added FrSky telemetry code at the end of the relevant loop, but loop cycle times could be differing depending on what has already been done during the current loop (not everything is executed during each cycle). Or could the new firmware help as well even in this respect?

Thanks in advance for any advice on that one...

Cheers
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

The telemetrEZ should not change screens on your radio.. :o

If you're using er9x, please check if you have "stick scroll" active on the tx's general settings. Just press long the left key to get to the menu. then scroll down and look for the option.. it it is on, try to turn it off and test..
If it continues to change screens even with stick scroll turned off, then I think you could have some hardware problem on your radio..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

Could you explain more where and how you are using multiwii code. I didn't understand that part. What is connected to the tez? Just blue tooth? Or do you have a rotary encoder connected as well?

FHoevi

Post by FHoevi »

It already occurs with no BT mod. So my quadcopter is MultiWii 2.2 based, I added FrSky telemetry code according to the protocol's specs. It works, the values are showing up at the right places. But, quite frequently and irregularly, the pages flip over in the LCD screen without pressing any button. This only happens if telemetry transmission is active. I do not know the ER9X code at all and what happens internally within the software when pressing the buttons, but could in principle a not properly synchronized data transmission trigger a page flip?

Return to “FRSky Telemetry Mods”