Introducing: TelemetrEZ

All mods related to the frsky telemetry series of the firmware
LTMNO

Re: Introducing: TelemetrEZ

Post by LTMNO »

Also, would i want 15pF or 47pF capacitance on the Resonator?

Resonsators

and i can order one of these too just in case.

Attiny Chip

For $2.50 in parts and $8 for delivery to my home in 1 business day.
Custom 9x with M64/Telemetry Mod

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

MikeB wrote:you should be able to get the '1634 running by addibng either an 8MHz resonator to those 3 pads, or an 8MHz crystal to the outer two pads.
Mike.
;) :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

No capacitors needed with a resonator, they are built in to the 3-pin resonator.
With a crystal (outer 2 pads), you will very likely get away without any capacitors. Any crystal between 8 and 12 MHz should do. You only need the crystal or resonator to get the fuses corrected, then you can remove it.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Alright, i have an 8Mhz Crystal, I assume i put on the X1 and X3 of the Resonator Pins as X3 gotoes (PC4)Pin 13 on Atiny and X1 goes to (PC5)Pin 12 of Atiny, the X2 pin of the Resonator is Ground.

Is this correct?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Yes, pins on the '1634 are 12 and 13.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Hi Mike, i tried, i still get the

avrdude: set SCK frequency to 8000 Hz
avrdude: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1

Do i have to power the Attiny seperately, or is the USBASP good enough.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The USBASP should be OK to power it. Do you have a 'scope to check if the crystal is oscillating?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

I don't unfortunately... been meaning to get one... ;-)
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Just checked the circuit. You MUST power from the USBASP ONLY. There is a 3-state buffer on the programming lines that is only enabled if the +5V is low. There are diodes feeding the board power fromm the USBASP power and the +5V. It is possible that there is enough leakage back through the +5V diode that the buffers are disabled. Check the voltage on the EEPROM pads between pins 4 (GND) and 8(+5V) with the USBASP connected. If you don't get something close to 0V, you may need to wire a resistor (say 1K) between these to connections to make sure the 3-state buffers switch on.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Thanks Mike, you just amaze me with this knowledge on this stuff ;-0
Makes me want to go back to school and get an Electrical Engineering Degree. (sigh)

Alright, I think the Pins 4 and 8 are the solo pads where marked eeprom on the Tez. The rest of them up there are in pairs.
if that is the case, I read 1.24v from Pin 4 to Pin 8

EDIT:
Just wanted to report back that that didn't work for me unfortunately.
I ordered a new Attiny1634 Chip and the Resonator.
I will try the Resonator first. Then the new chip.

I also did order a new TEZ and that should come middle of this week as well as backup.

Thanks again.

p.s. when I put the 1k R in place, it dropped from 1.24 to 1.21 V (not 0)
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Update,
I tried use the resonator that i just received from DigiKey first and that didn't work.
I then replaced the Attiny chip with the new one i got from DigiKey for $2 and we are back in business, the standard program that Steven supplies set the fuses on first run and then programs the chip.
Now I have a new TeZ on its way and should arrive today... I guess its there for a spare now. ;-)
Now back to programming the radio with ER9x and testing and then OpenTx to test as well.

No -F options enabled... ;-0

Thanks for all your help folks!
Cheers

Oh, lesson learned.. don't have power switch off and try to fuse m128 chip with -F option. ( it will kill your Tez )
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

I'm sold out of TelemetrEZ right now, so your spare is probably something you can sell if you wanted to. Glad you're back up and running in any event.
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

s_mack wrote:I'm sold out of TelemetrEZ right now, so your spare is probably something you can sell if you wanted to. Glad you're back up and running in any event.
ah, its alright... knowing me, having a spare is a good thing. ;-)
That being said, I have enough parts to build out another radio... just need to source a main board... or an upgraded one.

Thanks again!
MrCuss

Post by MrCuss »

s_mack wrote:[UPDATE] SmartieParts Rev 2.4 owners have a special convenience. The kit includes a special ISP cable that is meant to be permanently attached to the TelemetrEZ's ISP header (instead of a generic usbasp as described above). The flashing procedure is the same as above. Just note that the 9x radio must be powered off when you are flashing the TelemetrEZ board (and powered on when you are flashing the 9x radio itself)
Can somebody please confirm that if i follow this procedure it will work for me?

Using tool and firmware from links above. Leave power OFF to my 9x. run .exe file and connect USB to PC and the software will automatically flash my TelemetrEZ board with new firmware???

My Tx has Smartie parts programmer board and TelemetrEZ fitter running open TX firmware (Latest version).

Thank you.

Marcus...
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Pretty much. Exact steps, for those with the Rev 2.4 SmartieParts board*, would be more like this:
  • Go to the latest TelemetrEZ.hex file from the Google Code page (The one included in the tool is now out of date). Right-click the "View raw file" link and choose "Save link as..." (aka "Save target as". Wording varies by browser). Save it to the same folder you extract the tool to, overwriting the existing "telemetrEZ.hex" (must be that exact name or it won't work).
  • Connect your 9x/SP Rev 2.4 via USB to your PC with your TX powered OFF
  • Run t1634programmer.exe. As soon as you do, it will automatically begin programming that hex to the tEZ.
  • When its done, it tells you to disconnect the usbasp.
  • you're now done. Hit your ESC key to quit the program
* The above assumes you've installed the SP board (Rev 2.4) including the Aux_isp cable attached to your TelemetrEZ and that you've already installed the SmartieParts board drivers as per our drivers page.
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Greetings,

Having 9x Radio with er9x-FrSky v.816 firmware and DJT transmitter module paired with the D8R-XP Receiver
and with the older smartieparts boards: Programmer Board Rev 2.3 and TelemetrEZ Board purchased around
August 31, 2013 with using the Telemetry wire connection routed through the back of the 9x Radio case.
My understanding is if using the XJT transmitter module paired with its X8R Receiver,
is when there is a need to upgrade the TelemetrEZ Board to its newest r90 firmware.

Question: Is it essential to upgrade the TelemetrEZ Board to its newest r90 firmware
when using the DJT module paired with its D-Series Receivers for telemetry ? :?:

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

No.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MrCuss

Post by MrCuss »

Awesome s_mack. Thanks so much for your help.
Ill sort out a PC to use as most of the time i use Mac for Tx Firmware update.

Ill post results either way.
MrCuss

Post by MrCuss »

Just a follow up from previous posts...
I was missing a cable in my Tx which has now been sorted by the kind people behind the Smartie Parts Boards.

* The above assumes you've installed the SP board (Rev 2.4) including the Aux_isp cable attached to your TelemetrEZ and that you've already installed the SmartieParts board drivers as per our drivers page.

So i installed Driver on my PC. USB board was instantly recognised by my laptop but i was unable to Flash the Firmware due to missing cable. Once i had all the hardware correct the Firmware update was quick and easy using the above method as posted by s_mack.

Now the Switch error warning message has gone and my Turnigy 9X with FrSky module, OpenTX, Smartie Parts USB programmer board / TelemetRZ Board are all working.

Now i just need the wind to drop off so i can get back out there.

Thanks for all the help in resolving this. I feel i have learned a lot.
vinn

Post by vinn »

I was helping a friend today get his telemetry board going after he'd run into some problems. s_mack's post just above was really helpful, but I'll expand the steps a bit on what we ran into and how we ended up getting it going (which was really some dumb luck)

1. First, he had the ER9X firmware loaded on the 2.4 smartieparts board and the TelemetryEZ board already installed. The ER9X reported a problem with the THR and AIL lights were both solid and it was pretty clear the hex file hadn't been dumped on to the TelemetryEZ board.

2. So, downloaded the Smartiparts libusb driver from here: http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/index. ... page&id=12

3. A little nugget of info from another thread somewhere - when the power on the RF controller is off, then its set to program the TelemetryEZ board. When it's on, it programs the 2.4 smartieparts board. So leave it off for the TelemetryEZ.

4. Download the t1634programmer zip file from above, unzip. Replace the hex file with the latest version as noted above.

5. Pop open a command line and go into the folder where you unzipped the file above. Run the t1634programmer.exe. In our case, when ran it the window just hung open and it said something like "Connect" or "Waiting to Connect" or something.

6. Reading up a bit, what that step is doing is just running the avrdude.exe file. So, just run that directly with this commandline:
C:\files\t1634programmer> avrdude -C avrdude.conf -c usbasp -p t1634 -v -U flash:w:telemetrEZ.hex

7. Ok, now if you get this in the output:
avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9602
avrdude: Expected signature for ATtiny1634 is 1E 94 12
Double check chip, or use -F to override this check.

Then you have the RF controller on. Turn it off. And, as noted everywhere, DO NOT EVER USE THE -F OPTION. (You'll flash the wrong stuff to the wrong chip and potentially make a nice brick of your board.)

8. If you get this in the output:
avrdude: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1

Then it means it can't talk to the TelemetryEZ board. Now, if you're like us, then the first thing we did was open the controller back up to check out the wires. Unplug your USB cable first just to be safe. Well, the wiring all looked good.. so..

9. Make sure the RF controller is off. Now plug the USB cable in. You should see a red light go on labeled D5 on the 2.4 Smartieparts board. That's good.

10. Then... and here's where we got lucky, we just ran the "avrdude -C avrdude.conf -c usbasp -p t1634 -v -U flash:w:telemetrEZ.hex" command again and it worked (you'll see an LED go green I think when you do it.) For no explainable reason. Although, we suspect with the RF controller all put together, one of the wires might have had a bad connection or something. Anyway, we got a bit lucky and that part might not help you, but perhaps something in the explanation above will help with a problem you might run into.
OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

Hi, since Google code is closed, wher can i get software for this board?
2x - Turnigy 9X with 9xtreme board;
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Frsky Taranis & Taranis +;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
Radiomaster TX16S Max mark II.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

It was exported to github here: https://github.com/MikeBland/9x-telemetrez/tree/master.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
blashyrkh888

Post by blashyrkh888 »

Good day everybody,

I have Turnigy 9x transmitter with TelemetrEZ 2.4 board inside. 9x runs firmware er9x "r820 frsky", TelemetrEZ runs firmware "r90" I believe (I've flashed the most recent version from github). I have option "TelemetrEZ>= r90" enabled in er9x settings.

I use FrSky DJT module in 9x radio. When I bind it to D8R-II receiver I'm able to see analog telemetry data on 9x (A1, A2 voltage and also variometer data via FrSky Hub).
But when I bind it to X8R receiver (in D8 mode) new telemetry sensors are not working. I can see only A1 voltage (it is internal in X8R), but no data from Smart Port sensors is available.

I'm not sure does this set supposed to work (X8R receiver with s. port sensors and DJT transmitter)? Or do I need XJT module to receive s. port data from sensors connected to X8R? And does the TelemetrEZ board support XJT in this case?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The TelemetrEZ board does support the XJT with telemetry from a X8R.

I'll see if I can check what happens with a DJT and an X8R in D8 mode.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
blashyrkh888

Post by blashyrkh888 »

MikeB wrote: The TelemetrEZ board does support the XJT with telemetry from a X8R.
I see, so XJT can solve my issue anyway.
MikeB wrote: I'll see if I can check what happens with a DJT and an X8R in D8 mode.
Is there anything I can help you with check? Maybe I miss something...
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I just checked and I agree you only see A1, Rx RSSI and Tx RSSI values.
The problem is the DJT uses the hub protocol and this only handles hub sensors. These use an 8-bit ID.
The smart port sensors use a 16-bit ID, so there is no way to send these using a DJT.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
blashyrkh888

Post by blashyrkh888 »

Thank you, Mike!
I'll get XJT in this case.
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Does anyone have latest r90 or r89 for TeZ?
Links to firmware are all dowm.

Thanks.

Nevermind, i found them on a system i had...
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

https://github.com/MikeBland/9x-telemet ... metrEZ.hex

Should be the latest anyway. All the source files are there as well.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

MikeB wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:35 pm https://github.com/MikeBland/9x-telemet ... metrEZ.hex

Should be the latest anyway. All the source files are there as well.

Mike.
Hello Mike, thanks for the link... I did find that on your site.. didn't know if it was r90. The file size matches what I had in my drive.

That being said, didn't fix the problem... is r820 the latest release of er9x for my system?

9x-m128 / TeZ / SP Rev 2.4 / Rotary Encoder / Haptic / MegaSound9x(Serial) / er9x

Please correct me if I am wrong.. but here is the link to what I am trying to download:
http://www.er9x.com/er9x-128.hex
Is this correct?

UPDATE:
Problem solved...

The cuprit was a faulty cable that connects the TeZ to the Switches. Apparently the AIL Lead was faulty... or loosen from the Crimped Connector.
Luckily, I have purchased a Crimpt Set and connectors for another project that I was working on with my Laser Cutter. That being said, all the cables are good now and the AIL and THR are not engaged. How did I come to this conclusion... was when I finally got the other cable fixed, I had the Rotary Encoder and THR working... That resulted in the AIL not working and that had to be a faulty connection on that switch. Pulled out the Ohms meeting and sorted it all out.

P.S. FRSky Mod Enabled, TeZ => R90 Enabled.

Return to “FRSky Telemetry Mods”