Introducing: TelemetrEZ

All mods related to the frsky telemetry series of the firmware
s_mack

Re: Introducing: TelemetrEZ

Post by s_mack »

finally, I can also confirm that shunting RST to +5v directly (no resistor) also has no effect on the delay issue (though it does interfere with programming).

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Can you check your fuse settings on your system with the delay. There is a setting that defines a delay on the oscillator startup. This delay can be set to 0mS, 4mS or 64mS. Mine is set to 4mS, but if set to 64mS I reckon it would cause the delay.
My fuses are set to:
Extended 0xFF
High 0xC1
Low 0x0E
If the low is set to 0x1E for example, this would give a 64mS oscillator startup. We need to at least rule this out as shorting the reset line to +5V should otherwise get rid of any other startup delay.

I know you hate your 'scope, but I really think it is needed to help see what is going on. With the 1K or a short, your second system should be OK.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

s_mack wrote:It would seem logical to me that you repeat your own test on your own radio by swapping the tEZ. In other words, put the tEZ on your currently-non-tEZ and see what happens. Because maybe you just have one 9x that's going to delay and one that isn't?
Rather than swap out all the hardware, I have disabled the splash screen and then put the scope on. From power on, I have a delay of about 240mS to the PPM signal starting to output a valid pulse train. This is very similar to my other 9x where I had 20mS to PPM high, 175 mS to PPM low and 40mS to PPM pulse train, a total of 235mS, so I would expect the 15 second delay to kick in.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Fuse setting for what? the 9x or the tEZ? And perhaps dumb it right down for me in case I'm not understanding somehow. I took a 1k resistor and soldered one end to the RESET pad (same pad that's used as the RST for programming) and the other end I soldered to the 5v output of the voltage regulator. For the short test, I clipped a test lead to either side of that resistor to bypass it.
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

for my 9x, it looks like the fuses are:

Extended 0xFF
High 0x89
Low 0x3F

s_mack

Post by s_mack »

OK, yeah... I see now that is 64ms. So some units must be coming from Flysky set like that. I reset low to 0E and now (with 1k in place)... no delay.
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Although... I now removed the 1K... and still no delay. So is it just the fuse? Or maybe the fuse + the cap mod. I'll remove the cap and put it back to 47uF and retest. Will be a few minutes. (yes I'm really avoiding the scope)
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Strange, because Low=0x3F means SUT=11 which is "Reserved" and thus shouldn't be used...

Out of totally unrelated curiosity - what's your scope? So I never get one of those ;)
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

I'm not going mental... it is a M64A, right?

re: scope. freakin piece of c**p.. sounded good by features and specs, but the support is nil, the software is buggy... and I can't seem to get it to read anything half the time. Its a Quantum Assylum QA100 (which I think means you need to as 100 Q's and hope for 100 A's before you can use it)
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Hopefully this fix is as simple as a change to the fuses. Looking forward to hearing the results!
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

OK, putting the cap back to the 47uF re-introduces the delay, without the resistor mod. So no, its not as simple as just changing fuses. Now testing with the resistor mod...
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Re-introducing the 1k resistor between RST and +5v DOES eliminate the delay (yay!) but also prevents programming (boo!).

So, it seems to me that the two reliable "fixes" to this delay issue are:
  1. Replace the 47uF capacitor with a 10uF capacitor AND make sure your fuses are "correct" (as defined as "default" in eepe)
  2. Update the TelemetrEZ firmware
Obviously #2 is the simpler of the two.

Of course, the delay is pretty minor anyway so "live with it" is an option, though not an ideal one.

- Steven
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

I made a little tool for easy programming of the TelemetrEZ's by the factory. I suppose people could use it for updating. Its designed specifically for doing hundreds one after another, so its very streamlined with no buttons or interfaces. Emphasis is on speed, not feedback. But here it is. Using it is simple enough.
  • Go to the latest TelemetrEZ.hex file from the Google Code page (Rev 58 - the latest as of right now - is included in the tool). Right-click the "View raw file" link and choose "Save link as...". Save it to the same folder you extract the tool to, overwriting the existing "telemetrEZ.hex" (must be that exact name or it won't work).
  • Run t1634programmer.exe
  • It now just waits for you to connect a USBasp (and ONLY a USBasp*) to the telemetrEZ. As soon as you do, it will automatically begin programming that hex to the tEZ.
  • When its done, it tells you to disconnect the usbasp.
  • Once disconnected, it tells you to connect it again... but that's only because, as I said above, its expecting you're doing more than one. So you're now done. Hit your ESC key to quit this program
It only runs on Windows and I can't even say which versions (at least Win 7 64bit). But it does include the files you'd need to get it to run on something else if you manually want to use avrdude. Specifically, it contains the avrdude.conf file with the attiny1634's info in it.

* Note, its possible (maybe) to use a different programmer than a usbasp. Check out the "settings.ini" file.

This tool isn't anything magical. Its just a simpler interface for avrdude using a usbasp specifically for the purpose of programming (updating) TelemetrEZ. But some might find it handy.

[UPDATE] SmartieParts Rev 2.4 owners have a special convenience. The kit includes a special ISP cable that is meant to be permanently attached to the TelemetrEZ's ISP header (instead of a generic usbasp as described above). The flashing procedure with a Rev 2.4 SmartieParts board is here.

- Steven
Attachments
t1634programmer.zip
experimental tool for easier tEZ updating
(429.6 KiB) Downloaded 818 times
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Sounds like we know why the delay occurs then. I did find a 2K7 resistor on the reset line was OK as well as the 1K. Whether you can still program the M64 with that in place I don't know. My STK500 failed almost totally by itself, so I made up a special, high current buffer (24mA) unit. This will probably overcome almost anything I put on the reset line so I'm not good for testing with a resistor on the reset line.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
oldpal44

Post by oldpal44 »

Steven: RE flashing the TEZ with r58.
1. Can it be done with tez connected (in line)? Powered off, of course ?
2. Can I use the "usb to 10 pin" unit that I used to flash the other tx's. I am assuming that the $5.00 unit is a USBasp device and suitable.(S51&AVR) ??
3. After unziping the exe file, I run it in a system window then plug in and follow any prompts as you have written.(in the correct folder/dir)
4. make sure > pin lines up......
Please advise if I have this correct.
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

1. Yes. Radio off... nothing has to be disconnected.
2. If its a usbasp then yes. If its not, then you can still use it but you have to figure out what it is and put the appropriate command in the settings.ini file. I don't know what you mean by "(S51&AVR)".
3. Not in a system window (if you mean cmd prompt). Just double-click it... its a GUI.
4. Look at the silkscreening on the tEZ board at the ISP and you'll see the white "box" around it has an outcropping. That should match the key that's on standard 10 pin ISP programmer cables. To be extra clear: The inside row has the power and ground.
oldpal44

Post by oldpal44 »

Flashed both with R58. Once I opened first one it was obvious how to connect cable. took about 10 minutes to do both as I did them separately. Delay gone. Will see if all continues to work well tomorrow. Seems ok. I expect it will be fine. I used a win7 64 bit machine and S51&AVR is printed on the USBasp board. I know nothing of the various types..........just the one I have.
Pretty easy to do, but I was unsure... Seems to be a "Tempest in a Teapot".
Product is fine and I would certainly do it over. Still much easier than the intricate soldering alternative.
Thanks for the help.
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

@ Steve

When this is all sorted out will you please email those who have purchased the TEZ with the ultimate situation/limitation/resolution. It may be because I'm ill, or because I'm stupid, but this thread has my mind swirling and I can no longer make heads from tails of any of this. I expect there are others besides those in this thread that may be putting callouses on their foreheads not understanding what's going on.
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

yeah, good idea Scott.
oldpal44

Post by oldpal44 »

I have the feeling that I am not "value added", but I will add to this anyhow...
With R58 flashed on 2 Tez units, I am seeing what appears to be normal functioning of the TX. One TX is a SP 2.3 and Tez, and the other is a voice mod and Tez. I bound one and then the other to my test plane. Both acted "normal". I am using er9x . My conclusion is based on the fact that the switch warning and delay is gone and that I can set the Tssi and Rssi alarms on screen 11/12 and they hold after turning off the TX. No unusual settings creeping into the radio, and no alarms for unknown events. I know nothing of the technical aspects of this situation. I expected some bugs and this is well within what I consider Normal. Flashing the TEZ was easy. I am going to finish setting up the radio later today. For what its worth...........
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

worth lots :) thank you.
Marco330

Post by Marco330 »

Great ... trying to update my TelemetrEZ to the R58 firmware using the program offered by Steven, I get a message from my add blocker that it is identified as: trojan.win32.generic!BT
anyone with a message like this?? I don't expect it to be anything, but just in case...

Marco
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

Must be your ad blocker.
avast online http://onlinescan.avast.com/ shows the file as clean.

-Gohst
Marco330

Post by Marco330 »

Thanks Gohst !
Marco330

Post by Marco330 »

And the update took about 1.788 seconds, done !
Marco
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

I suppose I could have warned people about the virus... but I didn't want everyone to know I was trying to hack their computers! :)

The "issue" is that I wrote that script using AutoIT... a rather handy scripting tool for Windows automation tasks (which is why that script works only with Windows). AutoIT has, for years, been falsely identified by some scanners as a virus because undoubtedly its been used to create viruses in the past. But labelling all scripts made with AutoIT is irresponsible, in my opinion (and that's what your ad scanner is doing). Its like saying that guns are made from metal, and guns kill people, therefore we must ban all metal.

While I really like using AutoIt, and have for years, I normally wouldn't use it for a tool I was distributing because of its Windows-only limitation and also because of that somewhat common false-positive virus reporting. But in this case, it wasn't meant as a tool for others. I just thought it would be exceptionally handy in this case.

- Steven
Marco330

Post by Marco330 »

Thank you Steven for your explanation, as always you are doing everything to get everything straightened out and help everybody with problems, GREAT ! The scanner in question is Ad-Aware free version on one of my older computers, just for your (and all others') information.

Marco
Redbrickman

Post by Redbrickman »

Without wanting to hijack the thread can anyone in UK direct me to a Fee Pay seller or somewhere I can buy the USB programmer that is compatible, as I seem to recall reading in RCG that some don't work so well?
Maintain thine airspeed.
Lest the ground arise and smite thee!
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Any usbasp should work. Really, I'd just head to ebay UK and search "usbasp" and get the cheapest one delivered to your door. If you want someone based in the UK, they're quite the premium for the same product.

Anything sold as a "usbasp" *should* work, but also keep in mind its an open source design so its entirely possible that the people that made the one you choose to buy have no idea what they're doing.

You can get it from hobby king: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ssors.html

But really, I don't know of any that "don't work so well". Its a simple design.

Also, you aren't restricted to USBasp. Any programmer that works with AVRdude will work. With that said, I strongly recommend getting a USBasp simply because that's what's become the de facto standard for all intents and purposes. For no reason other than that's what's "caught on".

- Steven

edit: I just googled "usbasp uk" and the first hit is this r/c related store: http://www.electriflite.co.uk/store/ind ... sbisp.html but crappy timing... they closed yesterday for the holidays until January.
edit #2: Try amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Downloader-Prog ... 018&sr=1-1
Redbrickman

Post by Redbrickman »

Thanks Steven, much appreciated. I'm in no real hurry so will order one for the New Year!

Have a good Christmas break and relax!
Maintain thine airspeed.
Lest the ground arise and smite thee!

Return to “FRSky Telemetry Mods”