Questions on upgrading to Frsky module

All mods related to the frsky telemetry series of the firmware
knightrohulk

Questions on upgrading to Frsky module

Post by knightrohulk »

Hello, everyone. New to the forum here. Not sure I'm even posting in the right place. I'm trying to solve a problem I've been having with my Turnigy 9X that is running the ER9X firmware. I bought the 9x with ER9X already installed by someone else. I'm using this with a DJI F450 quad. The problem I'm having is that the quad has flown away from me 3 times, two of which almost resulted in a lost quad. I know that the range of transmitter is affected by many factors, however, in all 3 cases, the quad was at most 100 to 150 feet out. I have never flown farther out than that. After some googling, I've found that others have had similar experiences and that most people highly recommend the FrSky module upgrade. So, a couple questions:

1. If I install a FrSky DJT - JR module and FrSky D8R-XP- 8 receiver, will it work right away with my current ER9X firmware? I'm wanting to know how easily I could get back to flying without worry of another fly away and without setting up telemetry. I saw this YouTube video, but the 9X that was used is not running ER9X firmware. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_OPLKWEAFY So, I don't know if I have to do something different just because I have ER9X already installed.

2. At some point, I definitely want to have the telemetry capability, but I've seen so many installation guides that I'm having a hard time figuring out what's the most idiot proof way to go. I *think* the best way for me to go would be installing a TelemetrEZ board and then loading the ER9X-FrSky firmware. Is this correct?

Thank you for any help!

jhsa

Re: Questions on upgrading to Frsky module

Post by jhsa »

Yes, and yes.
Yoj can use the DJT module, or the DHT if you want to solder it inside the module. Actually the DHT would be a bit easier to connect the telemetry later in my opinion.

The telemetrEZ board is definitely the best approach if you're not so good with the soldering iron.

I'm just curious. What module do you have now?

João

EDIT: Welcome to the forum.. ;) :)
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
knightrohulk

Post by knightrohulk »

Thank you for the quick reply. I've got the stock 9X module right now. I'll take a look at the DHT also. Thank you for the suggestion!
knightrohulk

Post by knightrohulk »

I've looked over the DHT install. It looks more involved than the DJT module. But, I don't have enough experience to understand why the DHT would be a little easier when it comes to connecting the telemetry. Could you elaborate more on why you think the DHT is a little easier? Thank you!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

yes of course..

On the DJT and DHT to connect the telemetry there are 2 different mods that are possible.. One involves modding the module, cutting tracks, soldering, etc, to the module itself. The other uses a level converter like the "frsky Upgrade lite", that is very cheap to buy and it is perfect for the job. This mod is my favorite as I don't like to be modding the RF module.

Ok, then we have two options. On the DJT we solder some wires and resistors inside the module to connect the signals to a couple of unused pins on the module, or, drill a hole on the back of the radio to pass a cable to connect to the back of the module.

With the DHT the module is placed inside of the radio, and the pins are available on the side of the module.. No holes to pass cables and the module and level converter can be just held with double sided tape to the back board in the radio, and the antenna can replace the original turnigy antenna. That is how mine is done.. will post a picture..
The only little holes that need to be done are the ones to place the bind button and the LED. But this little board can just be hot glued.. The big switch that comes with the DHT can just be left out unless you want to use V8 receivers or upgrade the DHT module software, which will probably never happen ;) :)

I hope this helps.
The turnigy module's case is just there to close the module bay. The DHT is inside the radio..
João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Hi and also welcome. The data port in either the DJT or DJT needs to connected to the EZ's data port.
If the DHT was internal no wires would be seen.
For your first time you may want to follow the Smartiparts install and use the DJT module. Read over his install.

http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/index. ... page&id=19

You could splice 2 wires of a servo extension cable to his so that you have a nice servo plug to into the DJTs data connector. Strip a 3 wire cable to make it a 2 wire cable. Make a tiny hole like he shows that clears the 2 wires. Push the cut end through the hole with the other end in the module to determine the cable length and add extra so you can unplug it. Then solder these 2 wires to his inside the case.
Push the excess back into the hole from the back to make it a clean look.
I also cut down a servo plug with pin, wires cut off, to make a 2 pin dump safety plug. Insert this onto the DJTs bottom 2 pins. They're ground and +5v you don't want to connect the EZ wires to ever! No mistakes if they're blocked.
Good luck I hope this helps.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

oops forgot that you asked about installing the telemetrEZ board and I described the other mods, sorry, ;) But it is even better as the DHT is inside the radio, all cables stay inside the radio ;)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

jhsa wrote:yes of course..

On the DJT and DHT to connect the telemetry there are 2 different mods that are possible.. One involves modding the module, cutting tracks, soldering, etc, to the module itself. The other uses a level converter like the "frsky Upgrade lite", that is very cheap to buy and it is perfect for the job. This mod is my favorite as I don't like to be modding the RF module.

Ok, then we have two options. On the DJT we solder some wires and resistors inside the module to connect the signals to a couple of unused pins on the module, or, drill a hole on the back of the radio to pass a cable to connect to the back of the module.

With the DHT the module is placed inside of the radio, and the pins are available on the side of the module.. No holes to pass cables and the module and level converter can be just held with double sided tape to the back board in the radio, and the antenna can replace the original turnigy antenna. That is how mine is done.. will post a picture..
The only little holes that need to be done are the ones to place the bind button and the LED. But this little board can just be hot glued.. The big switch that comes with the DHT can just be left out unless you want to use V8 receivers or upgrade the DHT module software, which will probably never happen ;) :)

I hope this helps.
The turnigy module's case is just there to close the module bay. The DHT is inside the radio..
João

This may be too involved for his first time.
When I do the 9x telemetry mods I remove the "V" ground strap inside. It's left over from the PCM tx days when the case was part of the antenna system. It just gets in the way.
The EZ option and the DJT should get him going with just 2 wire through a little hole. Hopefully he'll get more range with this setup, he should!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

That is true.. but either way is easy enough.. I don't like cables dangling from my radios, that is why I think the DHT is a much cleaner installation :) But of course, people have to decide what is best for them :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I'm concerned about his having to do some soldering and mounting the antenna if he's not experienced enough at DIY this time. Granted if he's going to go more advanced with Quads/ FPV or any other none ARF plane, he'll have to learn or make smoke.
I do some 9x repairs and a few skyboards and it's been mostly botched soldering mods by the first timer. I think he's looking to get a better rf link system with telemetry for now and not undertake much soldering but I could be wrong. I have a DHT modified 9x and did find it a little cramped for wires not hitting the stick backs. Removing the "V" made it much better for DHT space mounting.
The idea of the whole sp boards is or can be done with a screwdriver and a small case hole for the DJT data wires. Hard to mess that up if your not an experienced DIY'er. In the end he just needs to decide what his soldering and DIY skills and give it a try.

You can walk him through the DHT install since you've done it more. I did mine 2 years ago with the original sp non telemetry programmer board. After that I went with the solder in USBasp programmer and the DJT and 9x trace mod route after that.
SM
knightrohulk

Post by knightrohulk »

Guys, thank you for the feedback and pics! I appreciate it. No doubt the 9X is popular because of all the different ways you can customize it. While I'm no stranger to soldering and I do like the clean look of the DHT, I do worry about screwing it up and making the transmitter unusable. So, I think I'm leaning toward the DJT module, especially since I haven't decided what to do about telemetry. I've been researching the OSD and FPV options. In the meantime, I'm itching to get back to flying but with less worry of another fly away!!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

The decision is yours of course. :) Both ways are good ways. We have just debated the pros and the cons from each way so you know what to expect and make it easier for you to decide what to do.. in my opinion frsky is really the way to go. With both the DHT or DJT, and if you are using a telemetry receiver, the module will warn you, beeping like hell, if you have any RF problems. So even if you don't use the on screen telemetry you still benefit from the most important telemetry feature.. ;)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:

Return to “FRSky Telemetry Mods”