Please help me understand something

All mods related to the frsky telemetry series of the firmware
orentlikher

Post by orentlikher »

Hey Guys,

I posted this message in another thread, but perhaps if I open a new thread I might get more input. Please excuse me if I posted incorrectly, this is kind of new to me. Thanks to all in advance!!!

Ahhhhh,

I am soo glad that someone had successfully completed frsky telemetry mod.
Hello forum, I want to thank all of you for sharing so much valuable information with us, thus helping many to achieve something we wouldn't dare to try.
I am relatively a newby to the whole RC world, but consider myself a little bit inclined to electronics. maybe enough to turn the soldering iron on and off. I just built my first 450 heli and ordered the turnigy 9x, which I immediately modded to frsky DIY DHT and 7dbi patch antenna. Then I put my mind onto modding the 9x for er9x-frsky telemetry re-flashing and the hardest of all the pin 2/3 to pin 6/7 on AMD 64 relocation. I've read many threads before doing the mods and even asked a few great guys from RC Groups (who in fact pointed me to this forum). Well let me tell you how i butchered my 9x.

I did the AMD pins relocation and preped the radio for er9x re-flash by soldering USBASP programmer in. Then before the re-flash I decided to check if everything is ok and good to go for the re-flash. I connected the battery and got the "switch error" message, even though all of the switches were in the right position. So my first thought was that i might off bridged something while messing the the AMD 64 processor. (while relocating to pins 6/7 i over-held the iron to the processor and thought i might off burned something inside).

So i decided to disconnect the board from the lcd screen and get it out for closer inspection ( i managed to solder without taking the board out). So that's where my issues began.
Board looked fine, no bridges anywhere, i tried to reconnect the lcd and it decided not to work, which really baffled me since i was extra careful taking it out. I think the connections to the lcd are supper weak. Then i thought that maybe i burned the AMD processor, so i ordered another one from Digikey and with the help of Chipquick i managed to disconnect the old AMD and solder a new AMD into its place. Now i am waiting for a new LCD screen from R2hobbies.

I Personally think that i butchered this radio and now it will be only good for spare parts so just in case i ordered a new radio, which I am currently waiting for. I want to try this mod again. Pleaseeeeee would anybody see what i was doing wrong? I found out that when i connected the battery first time after trying the mods and got the switch error screen, i should've proceeded to re-flash the radio to er9x, which would've taking care of the problem, instead of looking for the bridges and trying to re-solder everything. Is that true? Would you get the switch error message after modding the AMD and preping for re-flash, but turning the radio on prematurely before the re-flash? (does that make sense to you guys?)

I would be so grateful for any help i could get from this forum and want to thank anyone in advance, if not even for helpin but at least for taking time and reading this crazy story of me trying to mod this radio.....Thank you

GrootWitbaas

Post by GrootWitbaas »

When doing the mod you relocate the switch pins, so yes you will get switch error prior to flashing telemetry firmware. Try flashing and it might be working. Blank chip = no lcd so before you continue flash the tx and see.

EDIT: I see you were answered in the other post. I may move some answers from there to here and keep this for others to see not to panic and maybe mess up things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
General trouble maker and wannabee Dev
orentlikher

Re: Please help me understand something

Post by orentlikher »

Edit by your Friendly Mod to remove quote of post directly above this one

Thank you so much for your reply. It makes perfect sense now. I wish I consulted with the forum before proceeding with the mod. I will try to re-flash now and see if it will fix the issue... Once again, thank you and the great people at this forum....
orentlikher

Re: Please help me understand something

Post by orentlikher »

Update.....
I will post valuable info between the two threads, however if anyone interested some of my issues are posted in "Doing the telemetry mod isn't that hard :D".

The lcd started working after I tried to flash the radio with original firmware (since nothing happened when I tried to flash it with er9x). I am trying to figure out what might be the issue. Someone suggested it might be the fuses settings. Will try eepe to set the fuses, maybe setting them to default will work, however if the issue persists due to the fuses, it might be a permanent problem since the ATmega64 has been replaced. I still have the old chip and might have to re swap MCU's again (i hope i wont have to)....

Return to “FRSky Telemetry Mods”