Doing the telemetry mod isn't that hard :D

All mods related to the frsky telemetry series of the firmware
MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Doing the telemetry mod isn't that hard :D

Post by MikeB »

If the fuses are still at the 'factory default' then the processor will be running on the internal oscillator at 'about' 1MHz. The correct setting uses the 16 MHz crystal.
Running at the slow speed will cause odd results, and the PPM signal to the RF module will be all wrong.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

orentlikher

Post by orentlikher »

is it possible to somehow change the fuses to 16 MHz using eepe or something else or will i have to solder the old processor back in and start the mod over?
orentlikher

Post by orentlikher »

btw, is there no more an option to "Read fuses" in the eepe configure window?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Thought I posted this:
In eepe, under the Burn menu is an option:
Set fuses to protect EEPROM.
Use this option and it will set the fuses to the correct values.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
erazz
9x Developer

Post by erazz »

No, there isn't an option to read the fuses. I removed it for the sake of brevity and clarity. I can't see the use for it. You would generally set the fuses once and forget about them.
Z

BEWARE - WE ARE IN THE AIR!!!
What goes up... Should be controlled by a 9X!

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I f you changed the chip you HAVE to do it.. Use eepe, it's the safest.. You will not be able to do anything with that radio until you do that :twisted: :evil: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ;)
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
orentlikher

Post by orentlikher »

Ok I will try, I used eepe to reset the fuses to default option (that didn't help) and now will try to use the other option: to protect the fuses.
So far I managed to get the Er9x on the radio, there's just a blank line which runs across the screen. I even manage to get into the options by holding the left button but then everything freezes and becomes unresponsive. I think it's those fuses to blame. Perhaps the ossilators are running at lower Mhz and the processor freezes up. Sorry for mistakes, typing on the phone..
orentlikher

Post by orentlikher »

also if all fails, i guess I will solder the old chip back (originally i decided to take it off because i thought i damaged it, but now after gathering a lot of good info from you guys i am sure the old chip is fine), its just i want to try everything before that step. There are some other AVR programmers that let you mess around with fuses, but you need to be familiar with that before diving into it. I hope eepe option to protect the fuses will set this new chip correctly....
orentlikher

Post by orentlikher »

eepe fuse options didnt help, however i found another program called extreme Burner -AVR and there i can change fuses. do you guys know what should be the value for Lock fuse and Calibration?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

eepe will have put the fuses correct. You may now have another problem, particularly if you have replaced the processor, maybe one of the pins is not connecting correctly.
Have a look here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=465&start=60#p5951 for test versions of er9x. Try the switch checking version first and report what you get. We'll get this sorted.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
orentlikher

Post by orentlikher »

i completely hijacked this thread, my appologize guys, but i managed to change the fuses with extreme burner AVR:
Low fuse- Oe, High fuse- 89, Extended fuse- FF, ( i also got some Lock fuse- FF, and Calibration- A7A7A7A6 i have no idea what these two are)

then re-flashed everything and everything seems to work fine, but i still have a line running through the middle of the screen and also it acts funny in a way. I dont know if its standard or what, but if I load the TX with Rud d/r switch in the off position then the radio loads, but becomes unresponsive to the menu buttons, as soon as I flicker the Rud d/r switch on, all the buttons begin working....kinda weird, i dont know...what do you think about this?
Also I will test if other options are working fine and if they are then hopefully i wont have to resolder the old chip...(in a weird way i was looking forward to resoldering it a little bit lol, love the smell of burning iron and flux, hehe)
orentlikher

Post by orentlikher »

maybe to be on the safe side i should resolder the old chip, who knows if this one would malfunction while the model is in the air.......what do you guys think?
erazz
9x Developer

Post by erazz »

It actually sounds like the ribbon cable for the LCD is either broke or not inserted correctly. You can try to open her up and reinsert the ribbon cable.
Z

BEWARE - WE ARE IN THE AIR!!!
What goes up... Should be controlled by a 9X!
orentlikher

Post by orentlikher »

erazz wrote:It actually sounds like the ribbon cable for the LCD is either broke or not inserted correctly. You can try to open her up and reinsert the ribbon cable.
is that in response to the line running across the screen?.... thank you for the suggestion, i will try it....

So far I observed a few weird things:

1. Menu buttons unresponsive unless Rud d/r switch is on.
2. It appears the Id2 switch is shown to be on, however Idle switch is off.
3. Throttle hold switch when switched on, shows to be switched on for a few seconds, then disappears and shows to be off.
4. And the empty line running across the screen.

Maybe i damaged the ribbon for the lcd, also the switches acting weird could that be due to maybe i bridged something. Right now i have a mess on the board of programmer connections and telemetry connections plus the resistors, will try to organize it a little....
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Have a good check to see if you have a short on the rudder switch, it is on pin 33, check there is no short to 32 or 34. A short to 32 would make one of the trims active continuously and this would block the menuu buttons.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
orentlikher

Post by orentlikher »

i will check right now if i bridged those pins and possibly just go ahead with swapping the chips...
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Just be carefull, it is very easy to damage the board or the chip..
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I would keep with the chip you have and check it carefully, particularly as you have already changed the chip once.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
GrootWitbaas

Doing the telemetry mod isn't that hard :D

Post by GrootWitbaas »

You said telemetry mod......what firmware have you loaded?
Also be very careful this board does not like lots of soldering, so I advise like the others, stay with the current chip and find the reason for the problems. Take it one at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
General trouble maker and wannabee Dev
orentlikher

Post by orentlikher »

well despite all the warning i proceeded to swap the chip with the original chip since i didnt want to wonder about the fuses being set correct or not and i should say after a whole niter it came out not too bad. I have to say these boards are very sturdy. In any case, i will keep my fingers crossed and will proceed with the reflash right now...thank you for all suggestions guys lets hope this will work
Attachments
Untitled-2.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg
orentlikher

Post by orentlikher »

GrootWitbaas wrote:You said telemetry mod......what firmware have you loaded?
Also be very careful this board does not like lots of soldering, so I advise like the others, stay with the current chip and find the reason for the problems. Take it one at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i was loading er9x-frsky.hex
orentlikher

Post by orentlikher »

Wow unveliavable. I flashed the er9x again on the old chip it wrote the firmware, then I got some alert but none of the keys were responding. I tried to flash again and now it seems that the eepe can't connect to the radio. It says target is not connecting. By the time this is over I will either airborne this radio or become a 9x expert with this forums help

Return to “FRSky Telemetry Mods”