Problems with FrSky DHT install

All mods related to the frsky telemetry series of the firmware
Oddshot

Problems with FrSky DHT install

Post by Oddshot »

Hi,

I am moving this from another thread as requested by the moderator, Included below is a video showing a bind attempt at the end of which are photos of the innards of the radio with all installed.

First let me say Thank You again to any who have offered assistance and if they are continuing to follow this, GREAT! I appreciate any help... I really would like to get this working and feel I can trust it, and not be compelled to go for the Futaba gear my RC friends are encouraging me to get... they are smugly out flying today... ugh!

To re-iterate, the problems I am experiencing are that I get an ALERT upon turning on the radio telling me that their is something wrong with the THR and AIL and switches need to be reset... does anyone else have that at start up? Doesn't seem to inhibit programming the radio... ???

Also, when trying to bind (following the instructions, with the switch in 2-way) all I get is a flashing orange and green flashing light with a beep every second (and this is new, previously there was no beep). When I release the bind button, it continues to beep and flash. If I plug in the Rx while holding its bind button, I get a green and flashing red on the Rx for as long as I hold it and then only a flashing red when I release... no bind, which is obvious when connecting a servo (I checked the servo).

Interestingly, when I had the Tx open this morning, determined to find the problem, I decided to just try binding with it open. I had the little LED/BIND button board out because I wanted to secure it a little better, and so with it out and the bind button being held, I powered up the radio and I got a flashing RED light and the beeps, I released, went to the Rx, held the button down, powered it on and boom, solid RED light. I then tried the servo in the channels and it worked... YEA! It is fixed... I thought...

Happily I re-secured the LED/BIND board, put everything together, making sure nothing was pinching or conflicting, I even covered any potential malevolent contacts with electrical tape...

...BUT, once together it went back to its old behavior, ugh!

So, now I am guessing there is somewhere in all the wires from the TelemetreEZ, Tx and FrSky module that is getting bent and breaking continuity and I only got lucky that that wire was making contact when I had the case open.

Here is the video:

[BBvideo 425,350]http://youtu.be/y0tpPQ6C4fs[/BBvideo]

So, if any of you who are interested in this problem have made it this far and have watched the video, THANK YOU for taking the time... and what do you think? Where did I screw up? Or did I get a bad part?

I am going to look, AGAIN, for any issues in all the wiring to see if something is too stressed or has been bent too many times and broken, hopefully there will be something obvious under the magnifying glass :)

Cheers!

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Re: Problems with FrSky DHT install

Post by Rob Thomson »

I suspect you have not moved the pins for the telemetry mod. There are two pins that need to be re routed as part of the mod. By memory, they would cause the throttle and aileron error if not moved.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

But the receiver stayed bound, right?
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Oddshot

Post by Oddshot »

Ho Rob,

No, I didn't, I just followed the instructions for the TelemetrEZ r1.0 and SP Programmer r2.4 and I dont recall seeing where I would have to do that.

Which 2 pins are you referring to? The Tx and Rx out of the FrSky Module? Or somewhere else in the Tx?

Thanks
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

could you please post those pictures you have on the video?

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Does the Frsky unit beep when you turn on the TX without holding the button down? If it does then it is startiing up in the bind mode by itself, which would explain why the RX red LED is flashing as the RX will act like it hasn't been bound if the TX is in bind mode..

Maybe the bind button on the TX is being depressed by the way that it has been installed. Is it free to move and does it give a click when you depress it?

Can you tell us what firmware you have installed on the TX... It sounds like you have the Frsky version which IIRC requires the switch modification to be done, which you wouldn't have done as the TelemetrEZ does the work for you.. Not being a user of TelemetrEZ I cannot say anymore.
Oddshot

Post by Oddshot »

jhsa, yes it is staying bound... however I can't get it to go into bind again...

...but here is a question, what happens when you guys:

a) Turn on your 9x? What does the LED do? Are there any beeps?

b) Turn on your 9x pressing the BIND button? Which colors/sounds?

c) Power up your Rx holding its bind button? Which lights/colors/sounds?

d) Rx light when powering up without the bind button depressed?

Maybe if I hear what you guys get, it can help me discern if all this is perfectly normal and the FrSky instructions are just a little off.

In my case:

a) It has varied, but right now I get a beep and a rapidly flashing orangy-green light

b) Varies as well, I get a beep every second and a slower flashing orangy-green light, but sometimes I get a slowly flashing fully red light and most recently a slowly flashing green light (and no, I am not smoking anything green)

c) This seems to vary according to what the Tx is doing, sometimes it is only a RED (flashing) on the receiver, just like in the instructions or usually it is both the RED and the GREEN immediately coming on

d) A solid RED comes on and sometimes I get a beep from the Tx and other times not

NOTE: All a, b, c, d I am doing currently with the case open and and other than the random inconsistencies, it seems to function, however, I don't trust this thing yet to do any flying (wish I had a cheap foamy to test it with)

Gonna close it back up and see what happen then... :)
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Possibly some confusion here. If you are using the TelemetrEZ then you do NOT need to re-wire the two switches, the TelemetrEZ does this for you, which is why it is EZ (eazy). The FrSky version of er9x automatically detects the TelemetrEZ board and sorts everything out.
Flaps30 is probably correct in that the bind button is catching when you mount it.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Oddshot

Post by Oddshot »

Wow... you guys are on this... Thanks, and sorry for the "Ho" Rob. meant to write "Hi" :)

Thanks Flaps, Yes I checked freedom of movement on the BIND button, seems fine unless the button is faulty, and YES, it does beep when turning on... and my firmware version is:

SVN: er9x-r790
VERS: V1.580-mike
DATE: 28.04.2013
TIME: 21:39:09
MOD: FRSKY NHT

Jhsa, I'm not sure how to insert multiple attachments, but hopefully you can see from this photo... the module is above the grounding pads, the TelemetrEZ is in its designed for location, the 3 way switch is next to the HOV THR pot and the BIND button/LED just in front of the antenna location.
IMG_0474.jpg
Oddshot

Post by Oddshot »

Thanks Mike B, yeah I am going to take it back out again... and see how that could be... the button clicks just fine and I over-sized the hole a bit... but maybe it is a bad button or just ever so slightly depressed, I made stand offs for that reason, but who knows ???
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

MikeB wrote:Possibly some confusion here. If you are using the TelemetrEZ then you do NOT need to re-wire the two switches, the TelemetrEZ does this for you, which is why it is EZ (eazy). The FrSky version of er9x automatically detects the TelemetrEZ board and sorts everything out.
Flaps30 is probably correct in that the bind button is catching when you mount it.

Mike.
Good point! So many different mods! Finding it hard to keep track of them all. Actually.. Maybe just lack of sleep! Bls+# baby is teething!

...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Oddshot....

Can you confirm that your toggle switch for the dht is in the correct mode?

It's about an year since I used one of the modules you have - but if I recall, you can set telemetry, none telemetry and program off the toggle?

Also... While going off random thoughts. What is the exact model of your receiver? I have seen some dealers are selling telemetry tx modules, with not telemetry receivers. This may have an impact on binding?

Oddshot

Post by Oddshot »

Rob, Yes it is in the 2-way position...

...also, i just removed the BIND/LED board and same result, beeps when it comes on and rapidly flashes and orangy-green... at least that is staying consistent :)

Could it just be that I got a bad DHT module?
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Oddshot wrote:Thanks Flaps, Yes I checked freedom of movement on the BIND button, seems fine unless the button is faulty, and YES, it does beep when turning on...
It should not beep when you turn the TX on. It will only do that when it has entered the bind mode. Does the button give a click when you press it?
Oddshot

Post by Oddshot »

... yes it gives a nice little click, as if it is working as it should... I even tried pulling up on it while turning on the radio but same little beep... and Thanks, I did not know what the beep was to indicate, the FrSky instructions are not very detailed.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Random thought here.

Can you plug a servo in while you do the bind?

I once had an rx that refused to bind unless a servo was plugged in!

Oddshot

Post by Oddshot »

...does anyone know how those switches are wired up?

I get continuity on the pins as indicated in the attachment... I assume that is normal?
IMG_0483.jpg
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

is that white connnector removable? if so remove it and check if the module still beeps when you turn it on.
tHE module should not beep when you turn it on without pressing the button

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Oddshot

Post by Oddshot »

Well... it is actually bound right now... from the one time I got it to work, and all the lights did as they should according to the FrSky instructions... BUT, I can't get it to go onto that mode again (assuming that each time I start with the button depressed it will go into bind mode)

Is there a way to un-bind this Rx without having another, to see if I can get it to go into bind mode again, as if this never did bind?

What my confusion is, one of them, is that the lights and buttons don't seem to function as they should, indicating to me that there is a problem somewhere in the system...

...however, it is bound now and will operate a servo... just with a beep and rapidly flashing orangy-green light at power on (and the THR/AIL ALERT)... if you guys say this is normal then I will consider putting it all back together and see if my quad does well, crashes or flies off into space...

well... on second thought...
Oddshot

Post by Oddshot »

jhsa, yep it beeps with the connector off... that goes, as you probably know, to the 3-way switch.
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

I have an unused DHT module in front of me here. :)
Oddshot wrote:...does anyone know how those switches are wired up?

I get continuity on the pins as indicated in the attachment... I assume that is normal?
IMG_0483.jpg
Yes there is continuity between the points you have marked with a red line.

The bind switch is connected to the thick black and yellow wire. Open circuit=Normal. Short circuit =Bind mode activated, when pressed before and during power up. It will stay in bind mode until power is removed.
Oddshot

Post by Oddshot »

So... am I safe to assume that I got a bad module and should contact Hobbyking for replacement?

And if so, should I go for the DJT module instead (if they will let me apply the credit), I really don't care anymore if the antenna comes out of the module or the radio... and the holes I made, I can cover.

...ugh!
Oddshot

Post by Oddshot »

And Thanks Flaps 30!
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

You are welcome. :) It would be nice to find out what is going on with your unit.

I run the DJT module as part of my main system. If you wish to use the telemetry, you will have to make some modifications to the board that the DJT module plugs into. Other than that it works very well and I trust it when my glider is just a speck in the sky.

I don't see anything wrong with the DHT module. The amount of work required to fit it put me off. You have done all the work and it would be a pity to have empty holes on it. :(
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Flaps 30 wrote:You are welcome. :) It would be nice to find out what is going on with your unit.
I run the DJT module as part of my main system. If you wish to use the telemetry, you will have to make some modifications to the board that the DJT module plugs into.

I don't see anything wrong with the DHT module. The amount of work required to fit it put me off. You have done all the work and it would be a pity to have empty holes on it. :(
Exactly the same work or even less than to modify the DJT.. You just have to solder the Power and PPM wires.. the TX and RX for the telemetry is connected with a servo cable.. Don't need to free any pins on the radio's back PCB.. Ok, you have to find a place for the bind button and install it..Other than that, much easier.. If you only want 2 way telemetry, you can even remove the 3 position switch..
I did both DJT and DHT ;)

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Oddshot

Post by Oddshot »

Well. I put the stock module back in (only had to re-solder then antenna wire), removed the TelemetrEZ and FRSky (obviously), re-burned the standard ER9x FW and... went flying... I couldn't deal with the FrSky issue anymore, I just wanted to fly my copter...

...so, just back in from a lovely sunset session (albeit I don't let the quad get more than a 30 meters from me with the stock module) and now I have to consider if I want to continue with this radio + a new FrSky module or not.

By now 3 of the case screws are stripped (and I was sooo careful too), but I could probably fix that, the tabs on the battery cover have broken off (now I tape it on) and I after this experience, I'm not sure I trust this radio set-up to guide my quad with expensive camera gear on board...

...I might have to eat crow and join my Futaba friends who say they have never had a single issue (that wasn't their own doing) and many of the other working aerial photography/video pilots who's gear I have taken note of.

Besides price and the satisfaction of mod-ing something, can anyone argue in favor of a FrSky mod-ed 9x over say a Futaba 8fg?

I eventually want to make money with this thing and would really love to do that with donation supported open source projects and the products they inspire, and hopefully become proficient enough to be of use on these forums... but so far, I have spent way more time at the work bench and very little time practicing my skills in the field.

I'm not afraid of a healthy learning curve, I just want to be confident it will actually lead me somewhere I enjoy being.

I have been at this solid (clearly I have no life) for a few months now... almost all my spare time has gone into researching, learning, building, ordering, re-ordering, re-building, re-researching and I have yet to feel confident enough to send my camera up more than 10 meters for some pictures...

...but I don't wanna turn this technical thread into a remorseful lamentation.

SO, Thank You again to all who took the time to offer helpful suggestions/thoughts, the collaboration is one of the great things about any Open project... hopefully, I can muster the courage to stick with it for that reason alone.

Happy Flying Everybody!
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

The new Frsky Taranis system will do it all and all you have to do is install batteries and fly!
All for $199 when it goes on sale. Maybe hold off in a Futaba and save up your $200.
I feel your pain. The 9x is not a DIY project for everyone. Soldering and circuit wiring is something one usually doesn't just undertake without some prior experience. Save the 9x and Frsky parts and check around for a friend or flying buddy that can repair and finish your 9x conversion.
Too bad about the battery cover. I lost mine and Hobbypartz ordered a new one for me, $5 to my door last year. I was surprised!
I didn't check you location profile so where do you live? Members here have been know to repair or mod systems for those about to give up and buy a "Futaba".
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.
Oddshot

Post by Oddshot »

Hey ShowMaster,

Funny you mention that, I actually was just looking into the Taranis... sounds like a good set-up... and I assume I could still use the FrSky Rx I have already?

And Thanks for tip on the $5 cover, I'll check it out.

I'm not exactly "new" to all this, I worked electronic counter-measures systems on the B-52 and tax dollars taught me to solder and fiddle around with components and design/diagnose/repair simple circuits and what-not, BUT, that was a long time ago (late 80's)... although, struggles aside, it has been fun getting back in touch with it all... another reason I was drawn to the OpenRC concept.

I am in Oregon and it would be cool to meet some more experienced OpenRC-er's up my way... I guess I could look here at the members list... good idea!

Maybe if someone who has mod-ed a few 9xs had a look-see at my radio, they could tell what I did wrong or would know how to test the FrSky module (I don't have the schematics, equipment for that)... actually I am hoping Hobby King will take it back and send me another... crossing fingers.

I appreciate the empathetic thoughts... I know i'm certainly not the only one that has been challenged by doing-it-yourself...

...so hey, any tips on a good place to get in line for a Taranis?

Cheers!
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Hobby king usually doesn't take back tx I don't think. Several friends had to ding Paypal to get all gunfire money back after HK offered them only $10 for their bad tx.
Also after making mods to everything I'm sure they'll argue the point.
The SP EZboard has a good reputation but I've always done the trace soldering mods and used the DJT module fif telemetry. My first Turnigy upgrade did use a SP programming board and DHT DIY solder in module along with the trace modifications for Frsky telemetry.
It was too crowed inside so all my other conversions only used the modified DJT module and solder in lrigramming cable. I don't mount the HK programmer inside . I'm using the room for the sound module now.
So tell me more about what does work?
Does the SP ezBoard work? Does the DJT bind and work if the case is open? Did you ever get telemetry to display and work?
Maybe........
I'm interested in helping you get it all going as long as things are not too bad off or damaged.
I live in Los Angeles and have built up 6 Frsky telemetry systems and repaired 5 and so far they've all been flying planes.
I'm interested on seeing how the SP EZboard works if it eliminates the need for trace cutting and rerouting.
The cost if we do this is shipping both ways and $10 for a celebratory red wine only when it's all working. No wine unless it is working!
I used to vacation in Oregon and enjoyed fly fishing and camping.
PM me.
SM
My telemetry mods,
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367818534.563315.jpg
HK programming cable installed
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367818603.373131.jpg

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

When it finally goes on sale a good place to purchase the Taranis is aloft hobbies in San Diego. So far good products and customer service. He sells and "warranties" Frsky equipment. He sells DHT and DJT modules and I've been buying from him for almost a year now and do are other club members I fly with. A lot closer then china as well.
Taranis link
http://www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-taran ... combo.html
SM

Return to “FRSky Telemetry Mods”