Dead 9Xtreme

mmilan

Dead 9Xtreme

Post by mmilan »

S_mac,
I just lost one of 5 9xtreme boards. I was trying to flash an orange module with muti protocol firmware and accidently put 12v onto either the clk pin(most bottom in the module bay) or the data pin(topmost pin). I can not find any burned or distorted chips or traces on either the 9xtreme or the (newer) 9x motherboard. I therefore think that I must have damaged the cpu. The radio will not even turn on. I would just buy another 9xtreme but they are now soldout! Good for you but bad for me. :( Any suggestions would be apprectiated. Or do you have the facilities to repair this one? I also measured voltages at various spots on the 9xtreme. I do not know what is narmal at all points, but the only obviously abnormal voltage was 1v on the 3v source at the expansion thru-hole grid.

Thanks
Mike

mmilan

Re: Dead 9Xtreme

Post by mmilan »

Anyone else that might help please chime in. Steve said that he doesn't quite know where to start looking. I since have put a recovered 9x motherboard (with 2561) under the 9Xtreme board. It came from a functioning 9x, I am getting 12v at the vbatt via, 5v at the 5v via, and 1v at the 3v via on the 9Xtreme's expansion grid. There is no measurable voltage on any of the module bay pins. I can not detect anything coming on when switching the main power source on. But as above I can measure voltage on the 9Xtreme board.

Mike
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Reading what you wrote above, It looks like you might have blown the 3.3V regulator.

You don't have any voltage at the module bay because the power to the module is controlled by the processor. If you zapped the processor with 12V, you very likely killed it. I don't have the schematics to the board, but if you have 5V on the expansion grid, maybe the soft power Mosfet is still functional.. We don't know how is the external Module's soft power Mosfet though. At the moment things aren't looking that good. If you repair the 3.3V regulator you will see if there is any damage to the processor. But you will have to get the 3.3V going first. I would try to help, but as I said, I have no schematic for this board.So i can't even tell you what parts to buy.. :(
There are a couple people that do. One of them is Steven, of course..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The 3.3V regulator is VR2 and is a XC6206. First check is probably to see if it is getting warm/hot. If it is, then something is loading it down to 1V. If it is not getting warm, then it is probably faulty itself.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
mmilan

Post by mmilan »

Thanks Joao and Mike. I will check tomorrow and order the parts if necessary. I will follow up when checked.

mmilan

Post by mmilan »

Ok, I found one very hot chip with a label of 662.. So I assume that is the 3.3v regulator. I traced the circuit as best as I could visually and did not find any other hot chip. Where might I look next?
Attachments
IMG_1329.JPG
mmilan

Post by mmilan »

Also, I found the VR and ARM2 at DigiKey. The VR with that number has a 2.5v output. Is that ok?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

That is the 3.3V regulator. If it is getting hot, then it may be OK, but something else (the processor?) is causing too much current to flow.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Remove the SD Card as it might have been zapped as well..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
mmilan

Post by mmilan »

Thanks, I will order a central processor. It will take a few days to get here. Then I will let you all know what happens. Also I found Kal's recent topic and experience which outlines how to program a new chip.
KAL

Post by KAL »

If you decide to desolder the STM with ChipQuick please be careful.
There is some 'chickenfood' very close to it (disappears very quickly :) ).

I therefore decided to cut each leg of the STM with an xacto-knife and desolder 'em one by one.
But there you have the risk to rip off a track together with a leg or
cut tracks below if applying to much pressure to the knife...

Klaus
( TH9X / 9XTreme / FrSky DHT / Spektrum / Multi / RotEnc )
( 9XR PRO / erSKY9x  / FrSky DHT / Spektrum / Multi / RotEnc / P3 as Slider )
mmilan

Post by mmilan »

Thanks for the warning Kal. I already desoldered it. I am a plastic surgeon with a microscope and lots of patience. It came off with no collateral damage. Now I am awaiting the STM chip. Also Joao, I took the SD card out as you suggested and the vr still got hot. I sure hope that the new STM chip does the job. Joao do you think that the 9x motherboard with a 2561 chip will still work with the 9Xtreme?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

With the processor out, does the regulator still get hot?
The 9X should put "9Xtreme" on the display, even if the 9xtreme board itself is not present.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
mmilan

Post by mmilan »

Yes, Mike it did display 9xtreme on the screen and the VR did not get hot. So this points to the STM that had a short. I may need some help when it comes time to flash the chip (not sure how to work with Defuse from STM but will try to figure it out.
Thanks for helping me diagnose the problem Mike, Joao, and Klaus.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

You really zapped that chip :mrgreen:
I zapped an Atmega128 chip with around 10V, several times, :) I saw the screen going dark a couple times before I realized it could be some serious problem with the voltage. I have accidentally shorted the output of an AMS1117 voltage regulator, which is not protected, and it started outputting the battery voltage to the CPU :o

After I noticed what happened, the radio was going absolutely crazy :) But decided to try re-flash the firmware before I replaced the chip.. Well, to my big surprise, it worked.. it got only confused :)

I guess I had a bit more luck than you with yours ;)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
mmilan

Post by mmilan »

Hooooooray!!! :D Thanks to Mike, Joao, and Kal(Klause), My 9Xtreme is fixed. The STM processor was the problem.

I followed Klause's STM- DeFuse settings:
viewtopic.php?f=126&t=9679#p123655 ,
and used Mike's DFU file that he attached,
download/file.php?id=15293
Then it was routine procedure to reburn the lastest test version firmware. The eeprom was still there. I think Mike said that it is in another chip anyway. I sure learned a lot with this.(have to make a positive out of a negative from what I thought was a transmitter for parts. It is still my backup transmitter. I hope that this can save someone else's 9Xtreme from the junkpile

Thanks again
Mike
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I don't know if you already did add a 100 ohm resistor to the PPM pin, and soldered a diode on the switch board to protect the board.. The diode protects against reverse polarity.. If you still didn't do these mods I do recommend them..

Please see here:

viewtopic.php?f=126&t=7987

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Well done. While you are looking at the board/Tx , you might look up the 100 ohm addition to the PPM signal and the reverse polarity mod.

We typed at almost the same time!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

That is happening quite often lately :) The exactly same thing at the same time :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
mmilan

Post by mmilan »

Sounds like Twilight Zone (if you guys are old enough to remember. I will do those mods to all five of my 9xtremes. If it saves one board it is worth it, since the 9Xtreme is no longer available.
Thanks again all.
Mike

Return to “9Xtreme upgrade board”