Adding FrSky DHT Module to FlySky TH9X + 9Xtreme (with external Orange DSMX Module)

whobby

Adding FrSky DHT Module to FlySky TH9X + 9Xtreme (with external Orange DSMX Module)

Post by whobby »

Hi,

I'm preparing myself to install a FrSky DHT Module to go with D4R-II Receivers, into my FlySky FS-TH9X upgraded with a 9Xtreme board.

I've read many threads here at openrcforums and other places, about installing / moding the 9X+9xtreme, but i've not found a specific one for the DHT module, most talk about the external JIT/DJT modules

The HW installation seems to be simple, but i'm not sure if i understood how later i must configure the ErSky9x to get the telemetry working.

I expect to use the DHT module together with the D4R-ii RX, to get RSSI and battery voltage telemetry info. Until now i've used mostly DSM2/dsmx RX (with a Orange DSMX TX Module on my Flysky 9X). I want the ability to continue using the external Orange DSMX Module (not at the same time as the internal DHT module, but as easily as possible switch between the two, when i change quad's.

I understood that the HW connections go as :
- from the DHT module red/black/yellow wire to "pins/pads" 7, 8 and 9 of the expansion grid of the 9Xtreme board,
- the provided black+white FrSky cable from the 9Xtreme to the TXd and RXd pins on the DHT module. Pins (-) and (+) to be left alone.
- find a place to put the bind+led board, 3way switch and antenna.

Also, i've understood that on the Quad, i'll connect the black+green wire from the telemetry port of the d4r-ii RX to one of the UARTs on my X-racer f303 v3.1 FC. Additionally i'll connect the CH2 to my RSSI input on the FC RSSI dedicated input pads. The FC will receive a connection of the main battery lead to it's VBat pads. (CH3 and CH4 of the D4R-ii are shorted so that CH1 has PPM and CH2 RSSI).

That's pretty much up to where i'm now. I know that i'll need do config on the ErSky9X software to activate/use the internal DHT Module for this quad model, and to get the Telemetry data received and displayed. Beside of that i think on betaflight i'll have to do some other config.

Bellow are some images of the peaces i'll be using.

Thanks in advance for any recommendation , tip, tricks, do's & don'ts.

Regards.
-w
Attachments
FrSky D4R-ii RX.jpg
9Xtreme Expansion Grid pads_c FrSky DHT and Haptic Mods.jpg
Orange JR DSMX Module.jpg
FrSk DHT TX Module.jpg

jhsa

Re: Adding FrSky DHT Module to FlySky TH9X + 9Xtreme (with external Orange DSMX Module)

Post by jhsa »

whobby wrote:
I expect to use the DHT module together with the D4R-ii RX, to get RSSI and battery voltage telemetry info. Until now i've used mostly DSM2/dsmx RX (with a Orange DSMX TX Module on my Flysky 9X). I want the ability to continue using the external Orange DSMX Module (not at the same time as the internal DHT module, but as easily as possible switch between the two, when i change quad's.

I understood that the HW connections go as :
- from the DHT module red/black/yellow wire to "pins/pads" 7, 8 and 9 of the expansion grid of the 9Xtreme board,
- the provided black+white FrSky cable from the 9Xtreme to the TXd and RXd pins on the DHT module. Pins (-) and (+) to be left alone.
The question is, will you only use the orange module in the external port, or you might want to also use other modules that can also output telemetry?
The reason I ask is that you can't use the same telemetry connection for both modules, as far as I know. There is another telemetry connection on the 9xtreme (COM2) but it would need a level converter.. Check that picture of the expansion grid you've posted above. Note that you NEED the level converter or you could damage the processor if connecting the DHT telemetry output directly to COM 2.

By the way, did you change the orange module's firmware, or does it have the stock firmware?
- find a place to put the bind+led board, 3way switch and antenna.
You need the LED and bind button board, but the 3 way switch is not necessary, unless you want to use "V" receivers, or update the module's firmware. If you just plan to fly "D" receivers like the D4R-II, then you do not need the switch.

To configure which module should be ON for a given model, is very easy to configure in the "Model Setup / Protocol" menu. The radio can control the power to both modules, so you can have one ON, the other, or both ON at the same time.. :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
whobby

Re: Adding FrSky DHT Module to FlySky TH9X + 9Xtreme (with external Orange DSMX Module)

Post by whobby »

jhsa wrote:
The question is, will you only use the orange module in the external port, or you might want to also use other modules that can also output telemetry?
The reason I ask is that you can't use the same telemetry connection for both modules, as far as I know. There is another telemetry connection on the 9xtreme (COM2) but it would need a level converter.. Check that picture of the expansion grid you've posted above. Note that you NEED the level converter or you could damage the processor if connecting the DHT telemetry output directly to COM 2.
No plans of using any other Telmetry module. So if i use (only) the DHT as telemetry, connecting it to the pins/pads i mentioned in the first post, i don't have to worry about a level converter, correct?

By the way, did you change the orange module's firmware, or does it have the stock firmware?
No, i didn't change or upgrade the modules firmware. I've installed it as i got it from hobbyking. Do use it mostly with Lemon-RX Sat receivers and some 410/610 orange RX.

Should i have upgraded or changed the firmware to better work with ersky9x?
The only mod i've done, was changing the antenna connector from it's backwards pointing position (very anoying) -- as can be seen on the image.

You need the LED and bind button board, but the 3 way switch is not necessary, unless you want to use "V" receivers, or update the module's firmware. If you just plan to fly "D" receivers like the D4R-II, then you do not need the switch.
Only D4R-ii receivers. In the future maybe i'll upgrade to Taranis and X4R or is there some internal módule like the DHT that i could use to have it installed on my 9X to use with the X4R SBUS receivers?

To configure which module should be ON for a given model, is very easy to configure in the "Model Setup / Protocol" menu. The radio can control the power to both modules, so you can have one ON, the other, or both ON at the same time.. :)
Thank you, i'll look into that config.

thx
-wm
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

whobby wrote:

No plans of using any other Telmetry module. So if i use (only) the DHT as telemetry, connecting it to the pins/pads i mentioned in the first post, i don't have to worry about a level converter, correct?
Correct. Then you just use the Black wire connected to the "TX" pin on the DHT's telemetry output.
Go to the "Model Setup/Telemetry" menu, and make sure that "Frsky COM Port" is set to 1.
No, i didn't change or upgrade the modules firmware. I've installed it as i got it from hobbyking. Do use it mostly with Lemon-RX Sat receivers and some 410/610 orange RX.

Should i have upgraded or changed the firmware to better work with ersky9x?
No, not at all if the module is working ok for you.. The module with the original firmware has been reported to have problems with some BNF toys. If it is working with your models than you don't have to worry about it ;)
Only D4R-ii receivers. In the future maybe i'll upgrade to Taranis and X4R or is there some internal módule like the DHT that i could use to have it installed on my 9X to use with the X4R SBUS receivers?
Not as far as I know. There is a DIY multiprotocol module that can handle the X frsky protocol, and could be installed inside the radio, or used as external. But I never used the X protocol, so I can't tell how good it works.
Actually the multiprotocol module would in fact replace all your modules :) including the orange one ;)

João

EDIT: Link to the commercial version of the multiprotocol module

http://www.banggood.com/2_4G-CC2500-A71 ... 48377.html
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

Return to “9Xtreme upgrade board”