9Xtreme vs Taranis

aesmith

9Xtreme vs Taranis

Post by aesmith »

Hi,

Sorry if this one's been done to death, but I'm trying to choose between adding the 9Xtreme board into my 9X, vs buying a new Taranis. If I go the 9Xtreme route, with an XJT module, will I be giving up any function over the Taranis with it's built-in module? The functions I'm interested in are ..
Receiver compatibility (although to be honest I'll probably buy new X series for anything that needs telemetry)
On screen telemetry with voice alerts
I'd really like a left hand slider, but I'm sure it would be possible to relocate one of the 9X pots

Advantage of the Taranis I think would be the internal module vs external, and the additional switches and sliders. Disadvantage cost of course. Advantage of the 9Xtreme would be cost and not wasting my perfectly good 9X.

Would be interested in anyone whose made the same comparisons, and in what they concluded.

Tony S
----------------------------
Tony S

aesmith

Re: 9Xtreme vs Taranis

Post by aesmith »

I should add that what I'd really like to understand is the integration between radio and module, does the Taranis do anything that the 9Xtreme+XJT doesn't do?
Tony S
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Have a look..

viewtopic.php?f=126&t=7987

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

The 9Xtreme vs Taranis question is a common one. I never intended this product to be a "vs. Taranis", but the features are so similar and the fact the processor turned out to be identical make it a natural question. For someone who doesn't currently have either, I suspect it is a tough sell to convince them they should have the 9Xtreme - although it is still somewhat cheaper and the 9Xtreme offers an RGB backlight and (I believe) a higher degree of hack-a-bility vs. the Taranis.

Your case (current owner of a 9X) is precisely what I designed for. Why throw out a perfectly good unit? For the incremental cost of the 9Xtreme, you get vastly superior processing power, immensely increased model memory, telemetry and voice capability, the RGB backlight and more.

You mentioned internal module... of course you can install a DHT inside the 9X and a XJT or DJT on the outside.

Are there extras with the Taranis? Of course. It has, arguably, nicer gimbals and a nicer screen and some say nicer switches. It also has built-in haptic, whereas you need to get a vibration motor and solder a couple of wires to get haptic with the 9Xtreme (the functionality is built in... I just don't provide the actual vibration motor).

I'm biased, obviously, but I'd recommend you stick with your 9X. The Taranis is an excellent transmitter and I've even recommended to people that contact me about the 9Xtreme (but who don't currently own a 9X) to go that route if cost isn't their primary concern and they can live without the RGB backlight. But you already have a 9X. In my mind, that heavily shifts the decision.
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

s_mack wrote:You mentioned internal module... of course you can install a DHT inside the 9X and a XJT or DJT on the outside.
Cheers. I have a DHT internally at the moment, the module bay being used for different non-Frsky radios with a switch to select between them. On the 9Xtreme that's supported with soft switching as part of the model config I believe?

Ideally I'd replace the DHT with an internal X series module, but not yet sure if that's practical.
Tony S

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The internal connection on the 9Xtreme does support the PXX protocol used by the XJT. It should be possible to hack a XJT module and install it internally. I don't know of anyone who has done so though.
Both internal and external modules include power switching so while a module isn't being used it may be powered off.
The 9Xtreme, with ersky9x, also allows the 2-position switches to be upgraded to 3-position ones, and also allows for extra pots/sliders to be added.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

MikeB wrote:The internal connection on the 9Xtreme does support the PXX protocol used by the XJT.
I presume the external connection supports PXX as well?
Tony S
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Yes, of course, but on your last post you asked about replacing the internal module?
That is why Mike referred to the internal connection, I guess ;) :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

aesmith wrote:Hi,

Sorry if this one's been done to death, but I'm trying to choose between adding the 9Xtreme board into my 9X, vs buying a new Taranis. If I go the 9Xtreme route, with an XJT module, will I be giving up any function over the Taranis with it's built-in module? The functions I'm interested in are ..
Receiver compatibility (although to be honest I'll probably buy new X series for anything that needs telemetry)
On screen telemetry with voice alerts
I'd really like a left hand slider, but I'm sure it would be possible to relocate one of the 9X pots

Advantage of the Taranis I think would be the internal module vs external, and the additional switches and sliders. Disadvantage cost of course. Advantage of the 9Xtreme would be cost and not wasting my perfectly good 9X.

Would be interested in anyone whose made the same comparisons, and in what they concluded.

Tony S
9Xtreme is a great board and the taranis is a great radio. If you have the 9x radio go for the 9xtreme. If not, go for the taranis, its a great radio for the price. My opinion.
2x - Turnigy 9X with 9xtreme board;
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Frsky Taranis & Taranis +;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
Radiomaster TX16S Max mark II.

Return to “9Xtreme upgrade board”