OK, let's document this!

s_mack

OK, let's document this!

Post by s_mack »

Now that people have had the 9Xtreme in their hands for a month or so... common questions start to arise, and now it is time to bring some answers. Help me out here, please. This thread is here to collect the procedures that need to be documented.

If you think of something - be it basic or advanced or whatever - please post a single line reply here with what you believe is an important topic to clearly document. If you have more than one distinct topic, please post separately for each. This thread is NOT intended for a discussion, just a list. Feel free to quote someone's post and write a "+1" if you agree. After a few days of collecting, I'll get to work prioritizing and researching documenting.

Whether you're posting the topic or a +1... if you know of a place where it has already been documented (partially or in full), feel free to provide a link there.

Thanks for your help.

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: OK, let's document this!

Post by MikeB »

Transfer models from er9x to ersky9x - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8234&p=107056#p107056.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
ProZak

Post by ProZak »

How to get speech onto the SDCard might be a handy topic.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7715
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Ersky9x manual needs to be done.. I don't know when Nigel will be available to work on it, but I'm ready to help when/if requested.

I think it can be based on the ed9x manual and in my opinion should cover all the platforms running ersky9x so we have only one manual...

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
hamerson

Post by hamerson »

How to get speech onto the SDCard might be a handy topic. +1

hamerson

Post by hamerson »

How to setup telemetry with some basic sensors for those of us who have never used any.
Amos
notlarc

Post by notlarc »

Only three things are, 1. SD card type and max capacity. 2. A more accessible battery, with an easier to find size and type. ie (CR2032 is more widely available.) 3. A way to save the original F.W, in case someone isn't ready for ersky9x or a hardware failure. Will have more suggestions after I find a CR1220 and install the upgrade.
lancaster

Post by lancaster »

Hi Steven

I used the 9XPRO documents to get me through the set up steps

viewtopic.php?f=122&t=5575

I think you could use this format as an outline and shorten/convert the text to suit the 9XT

Thanks for the help and support

regards
Hans
OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

Definetly a more accessible battery housing, plug and play bluetooth an haptic, and it would be perfect.
notlarc wrote:... 2. A more accessible battery, with an easier to find size and type. ie (CR2032 is more widely available.)
I also thought it was hard to find that battery type, untill, after searching a lot in various stores, i decided to enter a chinese store and ask for the battery. The attendant brings me a box full of those batteries, some from unknown brands and other from maxell at the same price i purchased from ebay and was still waiting for.
2x - Turnigy 9X with 9xtreme board;
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Frsky Taranis & Taranis +;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
Radiomaster TX16S Max mark II.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

jhsa wrote:Ersky9x manual needs to be done.. I don't know when Nigel will be available to work on it, but I'm ready to help when/if requested.

I think it can be based on the ed9x manual and in my opinion should cover all the platforms running ersky9x so we have only one manual...

João
Hi Joao

Let's go!

I'm ready and I agree it should be one manual for all ersky9x platforms, and that it should be based on the er9x manual (which is more up to date than last year's Ersky9x manual and already has essentially the right menu structure). I'll be in touch later today.

Nigel
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

EDIT: Oops -- so much for Steven's request not to discuss, just to state the topics needing documentation.

Definitely NOT the place to talk about changes/improvements to the board.

To clarify our purpose: What Joao and I are talking about is a manual about how to use the ersky9x firmware, similar to the major rewrite we did in early 2015 on the er9x manual. It's not about the 9Xtreme board per se, though it will, of course, mention the various platforms, including 9XR Pro, Taranis with ersky9x, and 9x with the 9Xtreme and AR9x boards.
Last edited by Daedalus66 on Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Daedalus66 wrote:
jhsa wrote:Ersky9x manual needs to be done.. I don't know when Nigel will be available to work on it, but I'm ready to help when/if requested.

João
Hi Joao

Let's go!

I'm ready and I agree it should be one manual for all ersky9x platforms, and that it should be based on the er9x manual (which is more up to date than last year's Ersky9x manual and already has essentially the right menu structure). I'll be in touch later today.

Nigel
Hey, :) great news Nigel..
There's a lot of work ahead, but I'M READY. :D
Well, need to do some real work sometimes, but I can manage it..

This will be a couple months work guys, so do not expect anything very soon. This will be a huge amount of work as it was with the er9x manual..
Nigel, whenever you want my friend.. :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
wilsa97

Post by wilsa97 »

hamerson wrote:How to setup telemetry with some basic sensors for those of us who have never used any.
Amos
+1
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Good ideas already posted.

About the rtc battery, it should last for 3 years or more I'm thinking.
Amazon sold me mine right to my door. Not a big deal to change it. Adding a battery pin connector on the top of the board would allow any 3v battery holder and battery to be used as another option. There's room in the case for a holder on a dongle.
Prior to mounting my board, I pushed a mounting screw through the mounting holes that needed the spacers to position them. I then put a dab of hot glue on their sides to hold them in position and on my board. Makes it much easier to add and remove the board, now or later, without the spacers falling off.
A 2 pin extension could be supplied or offered for extending/connecting to the black and white Frsky cable. If your passing it through a case back home it's a convent disconnect that allows the case halve to fold open. If your connecting to pin 5 of the module bay for the xjt module interfacing, you would cut it to make a one end folder pig tail adapter. If your doing a Dht internal telemetry mod to use the module pins, it would again be cut to make a 2 conductor adapter. I'm currently using a 2 pin jst connector and pigtail for my xjt module connection.
Maybe another USB connection option to avoid removing the battery cover but that's not high on my list and it does now, protect the USB from dirt and damage.
Maybe links to accessories like for speaker mounting or extra bling others have created.
Header for a haptic device and premade or DIY haptic options. The Frsky haptic being the best option for most that don't want to make it. Breakout pins would be onboard for haptic and the rest would be add at your own risk.
Upgrading sticks would be covered again in a link with the other upgrades and accessories.
Again, ideas, suggestions that may cover most installs.
Finally, a well done utube video or several walking the new owner through the opening of the 9XT box, to a fully taking rtf system.
Just my thoughts to sort through.
im2lar

Post by im2lar »

Specificaly;

"Hooking up telemetry from an Internal Frsky DHT Module".
and;
"Hooking up telemetry from an External Frsky Module". (already covered)
and;
"Make a Y connection to use either Internal DHT, or External Module".
(since the radio can't do both at the same time)

Thanks.
Last edited by im2lar on Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

I have alot of photos already for most of the modifications that can share for the cause.
Custom 9x with M64/Telemetry Mod
ProZak

Post by ProZak »

Prepare your 9x transmitter...

Revert electronic hacks back to stock so that any issues that may arise may be easier to diagnose, plus it just makes sense - else caveat emptor :P

Be sure to clean contact points between 9x & 9Xtreme connection pads/pins with Isopropyl Alcohol (Isopropanol). If any crucial pads have been soldered, then desolder/flatten them.
DBush

Post by DBush »

- Installation tips (clean spring pins, make sure not sticking)
- Ersky9x manual
- Upgrades/hacks
+ Telemetry
+ Voice
+ Adding switches/pots
+ Adding dual transmitter
+ Haptic
+ etc.
- Where to get the latest software updates

Some of these aren't related directly to the 9xtreme, but certainly of interest to a 9xtreme users and if compiled in one place would make people happy!
wombat67

Post by wombat67 »

notlarc wrote:Only three things are, 1. SD card type and max capacity. 2. A more accessible battery, with an easier to find size and type. ie (CR2032 is more widely available.) 3. A way to save the original F.W, in case someone isn't ready for ersky9x or a hardware failure. Will have more suggestions after I find a CR1220 and install the upgrade.

+1

CR1220 not so easily available
Gravel

Post by Gravel »

Still haven't gotten sound working, have loaded voice files and don't now know if it's the speaker or a software issue. No option to select piezo speaker appears on my menu.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I think the battery issue was created by real estate space. Some other batteries and holders can be hogs. + - pin headers on the board top would give options as I mentioned.

Yes to getting it on the list if a new board design is in the works and the real estate allows it.

I got one battery locally and on Amazon. Radio Shack $6 I think and Amazon $5.50.
My board arrived before Amazons battery order and I couldn't wait. Amazon battery arrived the next day! I have a spare now.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

wombat67 wrote:CR1220 not so easily available
In the UK, I got a pack of 5 CR1220 from CPC-Farnell (online mail order) for £1.62 (around 32p each!).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Suggestions I got by email:

- How to access SD card from PC
- How to use voice
- How to install DJT
- How to get telemetry on screen

A reminder that this thread isn't meant for discussion or for suggestions for improvements to the 9Xtreme design... I want to put together documentation of what we have now so people aren't having to trip through a forum looking for the info.

We'll get there :)
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Ok, how to install XJT and DJT.
I'm still going with...

Black and wire through a case back hole to plug the connector into either modules data port. No soldering if the data ports are used. Push the pins out of the cable to allow a smaller case back hole. Then put the pins back into the connector.
Hot glue the spacers/stand offs to the board, aligned using a board screw. Much easier to work install and remove the board. I did this on all my sp 2x boards also.

If some soldering can be done,

For the XJT add a pigtail jst extension to module bay pin 5. Easy internal black wire connect and disconnect.

For the DJT, a link to the latest internal mods and module bay pins mods recommended.

Haptic

Sd audio files

Latest FW

Very important
Making a polarized 3 pin battery connector adapter out of the dry pack cable.

NEVER USE A 2 PIN CONNECTOR INTO THE 9X BATTERY PORT!
ckleanth

Post by ckleanth »

list or combine all useful hacks for the 9x

for example
the taranis gimbals guide byjhsa
the reverse current protection and instructions how to do it (maybe add a components kit with the 9xExtreme since it was meant to protect for this)
how to reroute the last pin for telemetrey on the rf board and associated changes in a DJT module for all wires to be internal
If it has wings it will fly...
Gravel

Post by Gravel »

- How to access SD card from PC +1
- How to use voice. +1
- How to install DJT
- How to get telemetry on screen +1

For me the voice one has been a real pain, have looked at lots of discussions but not found a working answer yet.
Cheers
Gravel
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

[quote="Gravel"
- How to use voice. +1
[/quote]
This is really well documented here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6473

Page 61.
This is the er9x manual but the voice works the same except that ersky9x can use named voice files while er9x can only use numbered voice files..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

s_mack wrote:A reminder that this thread isn't meant for discussion or for suggestions for improvements to the 9Xtreme design... I want to put together documentation of what we have now so people aren't having to trip through a forum looking for the info. We'll get there :)
Hi Steven,
I do the same thing wanting to expand into er9X / 9XR-Pro (erSky9x) manual(s) instructions and not staying with 9Xtreme board installation instructions.
Though they do over lap each other when installing the 9Xtreme board, as there is a need to understand some parts of er9X/erSky9x firmware
to complete the installation.
Setting up the Radio Setup menus, like Hardware and Calibration of the radio pots with also an understanding of how to setup the Protocol, Mixes, Telemetry, Voice Alarms, Setup and Models menus.

I suggest that you include in your installation instructions information for the Telemetry to the FrSky modules
and Speaker connections to the 9Xtreme.
Could use better description to what each of the connectors are for on the 9Xtreme board itself.

1) When reviewing your 9Xtreme: Installation Instructions,
you left out the RX / TX Telemetry wiring instructions which also could have instructions for all the options to be choose from
when connecting to the DJT, DHT, XJT modules.
View how your instructions are for your TelemetrEZ board: (http://smartieparts.com/shop/index.php? ... page&id=19), could modify
and use what fits for 9Xtreme.

2) Where to find and install the SD card files/folders to the SD card for the sound to work.

3) When a customer is powering up there newly installed 9Xtreme board the first time, what they should see happening
so that they know what is normal to expect until the Radio Setup menus are properly set.

4) Instructions how to use boot loader and how to connect USB to there PC eepSkye.

5) The need to update the erSky9x-9XT firmware and how to do that.

6) Reference to the strings in openrcforums where more how to in-depth information is located.

7) More photo's showing before and after installation.

Hope this is a help. :)

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
orejass

Post by orejass »

I would say:

Ersky9x manual ( i know we will have to w8 a while for this)
Telemetry (both HW connections and some basic config for displaying telem)
Haptic
Software downloads/updates

nothing else comes to mind atm.
juandbotiva

Post by juandbotiva »

+1 on FrSky telemetry setup (both hardware and ersky9x config).

Return to “9Xtreme upgrade board”