USB bootloader and connecting to eepskye

lancaster

Re: USB bootloader and connecting to eepskye

Post by lancaster »

Hi Mike

Thanks for the update - I will give a try

I don't understand the comments regarding MULTI but I guess there are not relevant to me
I'm just using Turnigy and Orange modules at the moment

regards
Hans

lancaster

Post by lancaster »

Hi Mike

Well done - that's fixed my splash screen issue
Everything now working as it should

Many thanks for you hard work
regards
Hans
EvanVH

Post by EvanVH »

I hope this is as good of a place to post as any.

Lets start with the positive. I really wanted to thank all of you that are involved with this project. Great job. It has turned an inexpensive radio into a radio that can do so much. I never thought I could never afford a radio that can do what this radio can accomplish. :)

I am disabled with relapsing remitting MS. In November when I did the conversion I was managing my MS well enough to be productive. Then in December I had a MS relapsed and lost 4 or 5 months. No big deal it has happened before and I will happen again. We all have our trouble.

As of now the radio seems to work great. I have not flow anything with it but I can't find any issues.

Back in November when I did the conversion. Everything worked great.

Now The computer (Windows 10) is not seeing the SD card.

When I turn on the radio with the horizontal trim tabs pushed inwards the top of the screen says " Boot Loader V1.7 ready". Below this is is high lighted (reverse contrast) "ersky9x_rom.bin". If I plug the USB into the radio the screen changes the high lighted statement to a non high lighted "Connecting..". The computer does nothing. If I turn off the radio at this point the radio turns off. If I press on the menu key (hoping it would read the file) the screen changes into "Flash File" on top "NOT A VALID FIRMWARE" in the middle and on the bottom "[Exit]". If I turn the radio off now it locks up and I have to disconnect the battery.

If i connect the USB plug to the radio without turning the radio on the screen has "9xtreme" in the middle and r00.3 in the lower left and nothing happens.

The SD card has two folders in the root directory firmware and voice. In the firmware folder is this file ersky9x_rom.bin. It is the newest update.

I have no idea what I did. I just can't remember. I have looked and looked for info that will help. To no avail. I am lost and a bit over whelmed.

I need some guidance from the experts.

Thank you
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The correct firmware file for the 9Xtreme is "ersky9x9XT_rom.bin", which is why you get "NOT A VALID FIRMWARE".

The usual questions at this point are:
When you plug in the USB cable (radio powered or unpowered), does the computer make the "USB connected" noise?
Is the USB cable a 'proper' cable or just a 'charge' cable, does it work, transferring data, with some other device?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
EvanVH

Post by EvanVH »

Thank you Mike I am on course. I used my APM cord and it worked fine. I have so many of those cords. I think they multiply at night. I got the correct firmware loaded. It is starting to come back. For you sir I have nothing more than admiration and respect.

Evan

EvanVH

Post by EvanVH »

Hi folks. I can't get to the boot loader screen. Trying to do some programming on eePskye and write it to the radio.

When I turn the radio on while holding both horizontal trims inwards the screen goes pink for as long as I hold the trim buttons inward. Then after releasing the trim buttons the radio turns on just like it would do if I turned the radio on without the trims being used. I have not changed anything. It work just fine a couple of months ago. Any help would be great. Thanks

Evan
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Can you get into "Maintenance Mode"? (Hold both horizontal trims apart while you power on).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
EvanVH

Post by EvanVH »

Hi Mike

Yes I can get into the maintenance mode. The trims buttons also function just fine for trimming the airplane . Thanks for answering.

Evan
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I can't see any reason why that doesn't work, unless the bootloader in the flash memory has become corrupted.
If you copy the latest ersky9x firmware to the SD card (in the firmware directory), you can use maintenance mode to re-write the bootloader area from that file.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
EvanVH

Post by EvanVH »

So I did what you requested and nothing. The radio has always listed a STM32 BOOTLOADER in devices when the usb plug is connected with the radio. So the pc is recognizing the radio ? This may have happened after a bootloader update. I dont know if that helps Mike. I am sorry for being such a pain in the ass.

Evan
EvanVH

Post by EvanVH »

Mike

Can I by pass the usb cable and just pull the card out of the radio and update the card every time I need to update the firmware ??? I am really lame at this. :roll:

Evan
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Don't be concerned, it should work, we just need to find out why it isn't!
Yes you may flash from the SD card, but you still need to get into the bootloader to do that.

Please confirm you are powering on the radio with the trims inwards, AND without the USB cable connected.

The fact that the screen goes pink, suggest the bootloader is starting to operate. If necessary, I'll do a special version of the bootloader that changes the backlight colour as it progresses so we may see how far it is getting.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
EvanVH

Post by EvanVH »

Yes I am powering on the radio with the trims inwards without the USB cable connected.

Thanks so much Mike
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've sent you a test version of the 9Xtreme bootloader via PM.
Please put this file on your SD card in the firmware directory, then start the radio in maintenance mode and flash the bootloader.
Then try starting in bootloader mode and see what colour the backlight becomes.

Don't try flashing the actual firmware if the bootloader does run.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
EvanVH

Post by EvanVH »

Mike

First off I did change the name of the file to the correct name used for the firmware. I hope that was what you intended me to do.
I then turned on the radio while holding both horizontal trims inwards the screen goes green and this shows up on the screen.

Boot Loader V2.2 Ready

ersky9x9XT_rom.bin

At this point I turned the radio off.
We are making progress Mike. (?) What is next ?

Thanks again

Evan
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Ok that you changed the name, but you didn't need to. You may keep more than one version on the SD card. In some ways it is better to keep a different name as this is a special test version.

With the display you have, it looks like the bootloader is actually operating, It has found the file on the SD card and displayed it.
Next, with the bootloader showing the display, connect up the USB to your PC. The display should show "Connecting. . ." and the PC should find 2 hard drives.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
EvanVH

Post by EvanVH »

Looks like it works great Mike. I will run it through it paces this weekend. I cant thank you enough.

Evan
RzRomano

Post by RzRomano »

Hi Mike,

I've run into a similar issue as Evan. I can access both the boot loader and maintenance mode, however I cannot get Windows 10 to recognize the USB in boot loader mode. Every time I connect it I get an error that the USB device descriptor request failed. No mounted SD Card and no access to memory in Eepskye. It doesn't matter how many times I try to plug and unplug the cable.

The USB cable is the proper type, and works when I use it as a PC controller for simulators. I've even flashed the newest test ROM and Boot Loader. I'm on V2.4 and still having the issue. When I remove the sd card and try it I have no problems. The SD card is working as I can see the rom files listed on the boot loader.

Any advice?

-Remy
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

When running normally, go UP LONG, then left a few times to the SD CARD STAT screen. What is the number on the second line at the right of the screen?

Also, start the radio in bootloader mode, toggle the TRN switch (you should see "SD Card Off" flashing on the second line), then plug in the USB. Does this work (but with no SD card showing on the PC)?

What sort of USB port are you using USB2 or USB3?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
RzRomano

Post by RzRomano »

On SD Card stats it has the number 4. I'm using USB2 ports.

I actually think I got it fixed.

I tried to flip the TRN switch in the Boot Loader, but I kept getting the same USB errors. So I went ahead and opened the radio up and removed the SD card again. At first it didn't recognize the radio, but after unplugging and re-plugging the USB cable I got it to work. Then I re-inserted the SD card and tried again. Success!

Not sure what was causing it previously, but it seems to be working perfectly now. This has been plaguing me for months.

Thanks!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The number '4' you report is the "cluster" size on the SD card. With a small number like '4', this means you arelikely to need more accesses to the SD card to read the FAT while reading a file. We recommend you format the SD card with a cluster size of '32'.
This is particularly significant when playing voice files.

See this post: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40&p=126263&hilit=formatter#p126263 for the recommended formatter to use on a SD card.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
RzRomano

Post by RzRomano »

That was actually the program I used to get my SD card recognized in February, as it wasn't even being read prior to that.
I went ahead and formatted again, selecting format size adjustment. Now everything is working even faster and better than before!

Thanks Mike!

Return to “9Xtreme upgrade board”