9XTREME W/Freerider or Liftoff

franck3d

Re: RE: Re: 9XTREME W/Freerider or Liftoff

Post by franck3d »

drkavnger99 wrote:Frustrated at this point. I cannot get yaw to work in freerider or liftoff. When I calibrate yaw doesn't move unless I goto the extreme's and then it just jumps all the way to the end. I've tried calibrating the tx, set the 50/50 settings on the channels and calibrated in windows. I am running windows 7 and windows 10 both show same issue. It does work though the trainer jack and the smartpropoplus just fine just can't get it to work over USB. Running the last firmware released in December. Want to get away from the trainer jack as it's not very accurate and noisy. Posted earlier but got no responses I included a video to demonstrate it as well.
I had a similar issue with my Taranis and it cleared up when I uninstalled the smartpropoplus.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

drkavnger99

Re: 9XTREME W/Freerider or Liftoff

Post by drkavnger99 »

Found the answer. It wasn't smartproplus but a linguring driver for vjoy installed. This has solved my issue well that and a new taranis :P. Thanks for the help.
duststorm

Post by duststorm »

For those that use their 9xtreme as an input device for simulators, I kind of discovered that the USB connector is not meant to endure the stress of a wire for prolonged periods of time.
The connection started to break intermittently, but it wasn't until the micro USB connector snapped off the pcb that I really figured out what the problem was...

It didn't help that I had put a bit of hot glue on the USB pcb to make it sit in place in the battery tray. Apparently it put too much stress on the connector.
If you're going to use your remote as a controller, it's probably a good idea to take some precautions to improve the mechanical strength.

Now I'm looking at repairing the USB interface.
I saw this suggestion of ShowMaster which is not a bad idea: viewtopic.php?p=103323&sid=75f60b085dc2 ... 62#p103323
But if possible I'd like to fix it with what I have available.

I've resoldered the connector, but I can't get the device to respond properly.
Does somebody know whether the ID pin is supposed to be pulled to ground with a resistor, I couldn't make it out from the PCB.
Something like http://www.libstock.com/img/projects/21 ... 39_usb.JPG
Or was this pin simply disconnected or shorted?

Error I'm getting:

Code: Select all

[317363.651820] usb 3-10: new full-speed USB device number 92 using xhci_hcd
[317363.763899] usb 3-10: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[317363.980061] usb 3-10: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[317364.196211] usb 3-10: new full-speed USB device number 93 using xhci_hcd
[317364.196384] usb 3-10: Device not responding to setup address.
[317364.400484] usb 3-10: Device not responding to setup address.
[317364.604455] usb 3-10: device not accepting address 93, error -71
[317364.716539] usb 3-10: new full-speed USB device number 94 using xhci_hcd
[317364.716753] usb 3-10: Device not responding to setup address.
[317364.920834] usb 3-10: Device not responding to setup address.
[317365.124773] usb 3-10: device not accepting address 94, error -71
[317365.124843] usb usb3-port10: unable to enumerate USB device
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

We don't use the ID pin, I believe it is just open circuit.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
duststorm

Post by duststorm »

It might be something else that's gone wrong.
I could get it to detect the device in bootloader mode (connecting to usb without power on).
But turning it on and connecting to usb, results in the device not responding errors.

What's more, after a connection attempt with the transmitter powered on, the bootloader doesn't work anymore, until I let it rest for a while (capacitors discharged?).
I'm afraid something else got broken.

A little frustrating, since I didn't submit it to any forms of abuse. The only thing I did was use it as a USB controller for prolonged periods of time.

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

When you say the bootloader is not working until after it "rests", do you mean the radio won't start in the bootloader, or thereis no response to plugging the USB in?

When the radio is powered off, and you plug in the USB, do you get the tones on the PC and a "STM Bootloader" device appear on the PC?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
duststorm

Post by duststorm »

MikeB wrote:When you say the bootloader is not working until after it "rests", do you mean the radio won't start in the bootloader, or thereis no response to plugging the USB in?
The second.
The radio keeps working fine, it's just the USB connectivity that lets me down.
MikeB wrote:When the radio is powered off, and you plug in the USB, do you get the tones on the PC and a "STM Bootloader" device appear on the PC?
Yes, this is what I mean with the usb bootloader working.
But after I try using it as a USB joystick (by plugging it in after powering up), and I disconnect the USB, power it down and reconnect USB (without being powered) it will no longer come up as an STM bootloader device. Until I let it rest a while (at least, last time this was the case, I still have to redo this test to see whether it's consistently reproducable).

When I plug in the 9xtreme without being powered up, and it's not working, then I can hear the thing powering up and down a few times, as the speaker seems to make some noises.

I tried with different computers, both windows and linux, to rule out driver or computer issues.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The "rest" may be caused by the PC still looking for the joystick on that USB port and not recognising it has been unplugged. If it happens again, try using a different USB port immediately.

It is odd if the STM bootloader works OK, but the other USB functions don't work.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

OFFTOPIC
I found this nice tutorial on how to play FPV Freerider and deal with the different settings. It will be very helpfull for beginners.

Lesson 1 Lesson 2

Lesson 3 Lesson 4

Lesson 5 Lesson 6

Lesson 7 Lesson 8

Lesson 9 Lesson 10

Lesson 11 Lesson 12

Lesson 13 Lesson 14

Lesson 15 Lesson 16

Lesson 17 Lesson 18

Lesson 19 Lesson 20

Lesson 21 Lesson 22

Lesson 23 Lesson 24

I was planning to do one myself, but this one is very good and i think its better than mine would be. :lol:
Enjoy
2x - Turnigy 9X with 9xtreme board;
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Frsky Taranis & Taranis +;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
Radiomaster TX16S Max mark II.
duststorm

Post by duststorm »

Unfortunately I have not been able to make the USB joystick feature work in a stable way anymore.
I really wanted to continue playing Liftoff with the 9X, so I decided to build a separate USB dongle to connect to the trainer port.

I built a PPM2USB dongle (http://thomaspfeifer.net/ppm2usb_adapter_en.htm) as also mentioned in another thread on this forum.
It works pretty well. On my USBASP dongle I had to bridge a second connection though, the GND header pin to the GND pin of the USB connector, because it was not connected.

However, the PPM2USB dongle does not work as easily out of the box with Liftoff as the OpenTx/ersky9x usb joystick feature does.
To make it work, I had to select the Taranis preset in Liftoff's controller options to be able to have joystick input in the game. But if I dare touch the "assign and calibrate" button the input drops out again. This left me no way to change the axes and calibrate the inputs from within the game.

To get around this, what I did was select the Taranis preset from the controller settings, and immediately save and exit the settings.
Then open up the user settings xml file (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Liftoff\Liftoff_Data\Saves\Player\UserData.xml)
and replace the relevant input settings with the snippet below:

<inputSettingsList>
    <InputSettings>
      <gameVersion />
      <inputSettingsName>Input Settings</inputSettingsName>
      <axisThrottle>Joy1Axis3</axisThrottle>
      <axisPitch>Joy1Axis2</axisPitch>
      <axisRoll>Joy1Axis4</axisRoll>
      <axisYaw>Joy1Axis1</axisYaw>
      <invertThrottle>true</invertThrottle>
      <invertPitch>false</invertPitch>
      <invertRoll>true</invertRoll>
      <invertYaw>false</invertYaw>
      <deadBandPitch>0.05</deadBandPitch>
      <deadBandRoll>0.05</deadBandRoll>
      <deadBandYaw>0.05</deadBandYaw>
      <calibrationSettingsThrottle>
        <center>0.5</center>
        <min>0</min>
        <max>1</max>
      </calibrationSettingsThrottle>
      <calibrationSettingsPitch>
        <center>0.5</center>
        <min>0</min>
        <max>1</max>
      </calibrationSettingsPitch>
      <calibrationSettingsRoll>
        <center>0.5</center>
        <min>0</min>
        <max>1</max>
      </calibrationSettingsRoll>
      <calibrationSettingsYaw>
        <center>0.5</center>
        <min>0</min>
        <max>1</max>
      </calibrationSettingsYaw>
The calibration settings are optional and relate to how I set my outputs on the remote.
It might work for you simply with the default calibration settings.

This was tested with version 0.3.2 of the game.

Perhaps it is possible to modify the PPM2USB code so that it behaves exactly the same as an opentx/ersky9x controller, avoiding the need for this hack. Might be I look into this when I have some more time.
Last edited by duststorm on Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
duststorm

Post by duststorm »

I can get the STM bootloader to show up on USB. Sometimes it requires me to try a different USB port, and it's a bit tricky and requires a few tries sometimes.

However, I am having trouble to get any of the other USB modes to work, like USB joystick and the 9xtreme bootloader mode.
I always get "Failed to enumerate USB device" errors.

[244923.656275] usb 3-9: new full-speed USB device number 85 using xhci_hcd
[244923.768333] usb 3-9: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[244923.984464] usb 3-9: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[244924.200583] usb 3-9: new full-speed USB device number 86 using xhci_hcd
[244924.328971] usb 3-9: device descriptor read/all, error -71
[244924.440724] usb 3-9: new full-speed USB device number 87 using xhci_hcd
[244924.440835] usb 3-9: Device not responding to setup address.
[244924.644956] usb 3-9: Device not responding to setup address.
[244924.848951] usb 3-9: device not accepting address 87, error -71
[244924.961040] usb 3-9: new full-speed USB device number 88 using xhci_hcd
[244924.961132] usb 3-9: Device not responding to setup address.
[244925.165293] usb 3-9: Device not responding to setup address.
[244925.369300] usb 3-9: device not accepting address 88, error -71
[244925.369377] usb usb3-port9: unable to enumerate USB device
This is preventing me from flashing new firmware.
Perhaps I should try accessing the SD card directly.
Can I do this from the maintenance mode menu?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

You access the SD card either in bootloader mode over USB (which you are having trouble with), or by removing it from the 9Xtreme and plugging it in to the PC directly. If you do the latter, you may at least copy new firmware to the \FIRMWARE directory, then replacing the SD card, then using the bootloader to flash the firmware from the SD card.

I'm suspicious of your USB connection, or something related like the oscillator speed in the processor that controls the data rate over the USB.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
duststorm

Post by duststorm »

MikeB wrote:You access the SD card either in bootloader mode over USB (which you are having trouble with), or by removing it from the 9Xtreme and plugging it in to the PC directly. If you do the latter, you may at least copy new firmware to the \FIRMWARE directory, then replacing the SD card, then using the bootloader to flash the firmware from the SD card.
What are the steps to flash from SD card?
I created a folder /FIRMWARE on the card's root, and put a 9xtreme firmware .rom file in there.

It's not starting in "Maintenance" mode and selecting "Flash bootloader", right?

Do I start it with the horizontal trims towards the inside and then do something? What should I see on screen?
MikeB wrote:I'm suspicious of your USB connection, or something related like the oscillator speed in the processor that controls the data rate over the USB.
I've tried eliminating various problems. I tried with different USB cables (ones that work for other applications, not just for charging).
I've tried on two linux and one windows machine, on various USB ports, to no avail.
But the USB has always acted up a bit, requiring multiple tries. After the connector broke off things have not improved. I fear it's possible something got damaged. I did try repairing the micro usb board, I even replaced the usb connector, but that did not seem to do work.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

You use the bootloader (both horizontal trims INWARDS at power on) to flash the firmware. The bootloader should start and display a list of files for you to select from. You just need to use UP and DOWN to highlight the one you wish to flash, then use MENU LONG to action the flashing, and MENU LONG to confirm.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
duststorm

Post by duststorm »

When I power on the remote with both trims inwards I get a purple-pink background but no text on screen.
I thought this menu was the same as what you get with the USB lead plugged in (9Xtreme in the middle of the screen and the version in the bottom) and that I could unlock it after fiddling with the USB lead, but perhaps I was wrong.
In that case I have never seen that menu produce any output on my screen, it just shows the colored backlight, without any text. Keeping it on for minutes does not change anything.

I think it's stuck there. If I press EXIT for 5 seconds, it does not reboot in normal mode. On the other hand, in maintenance mode this works fine.

Is there something I can try like re-flashing the bootloader? Or is there another way to flash new firmware onto it, eg using the STM32 standard bootloader?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

If you have the firmware file on the SD card (in the FIRMWARE directory) then yes, you may use maintenance mode to update the bootloader.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
duststorm

Post by duststorm »

I upgraded the bootloader using the maintenance menu, with a freshly compiled ersky9x bin on the SD card, and that solved my problem. At first I was a little confused as to whether the bootloader code was integrated inside the firmware bin file, or whether it was a separate file (eg. the lbm file). For reference: it's the first. Just choose the firmware bin file for flashing the bootloader.

After that, the bootloader menu worked, and allowed me to flash that same file on the SD card as the firmware.

Even if I'm without USB support, now at least I'm able to update the firmware now :).
To facilitate accessing the SD card without having to open up the transmitter every time, I made a quick (and dirty) mod.
SD card access mod
SD card access mod
I made a hole in the battery compartment where the SD card slot on the 9Xtreme is, and padded the edges with some foam cutouts to make a compartment that prevents the SD card from falling inside the case.
I know, it looks as if some rodent knawed its way into my 9X. I didn't bother to make it look good, it's hidden behind the battery anyway ;)

PS: Sorry for going so offtopic, I guess I got a bit sidetracked.
OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

Man i love that mod...how were you able to bite that off??? :lol:
(Dont take wrong, i had to do this joke! Thumbs up.)
2x - Turnigy 9X with 9xtreme board;
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Frsky Taranis & Taranis +;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
Radiomaster TX16S Max mark II.
duststorm

Post by duststorm »

OctavioS wrote:Man i love that mod...how were you able to bite that off??? :lol:
A pedigree dentastick a day ;)
dasfliege

Post by dasfliege »

where can i download the 9xtreme usb driver, please?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The 9Xtreme should appear as a standard, HID, joystick, so the required drivers for your computer should be part of the OS.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

dasfliege wrote:where can i download the 9xtreme usb driver, please?
I think, if I remember correctly, I did not need new USB drivers for the 9Xtreme Board.
But if you need Smartieparts USB drivers, I think they are here: (http://smartieparts.com/shop/index.php? ... page&id=36).
See here for other 9Xtreme info: (viewtopic.php?f=95&t=7182).

Bob B.

Add Edit: MikeB. knows, thank you Mike. :)
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).

Return to “9Xtreme upgrade board”