USB Problem

Rod5454

USB Problem

Post by Rod5454 »

I installed the 9Xtreme from smartyparts a couple nights ago. Been trying to figure out why the connection from the usb to my computer doesn`t have any effect. Nothing happens when I plug in the cable to prepare for flashing. Not sure what`s going on. I`ve tried 3 different usb cables and had the board out close to a dozen times. Can`t see anything wrong. Help!!!!! I needed to use my quad today so I removed the new board and went back to the original configuration. Can`t do that. When it`s turned on, and in small print, it says "9Xtreme". Any ideas? Thanks.

ShowMaster

USB Problem

Post by ShowMaster »

The 9xt board flashed support fw into you're 9x. The only way to go back would be to use a Usbasp programmer or another smartiparts board with USB.
If you're 9XT board reinstalled back works, you're only option I'm thinking is to load your quad info using the 9x buttons. If your 9x was original and had the original fw in it, it was limited as to what you could have programmed.
There have been reports of the 9Xtreme USB adapter board having connection issues due to faulty soldering.
If your able and can use an ohm meter, you could check continuity of the 5 USB connector pins to the 9xtreme board connector via the red cable. If a connection is missing, a careful touch of a hot soldering iron and thin tip, may fix it.
I'm talking about the actual USB mini pins the USB cable makes contact with. It may be easier to plug in a known good USB cable and measure from the large computer end of the cable. Larger surface area to probe.

Again, if the boards mated works as expected, then you should be able to program your quad values manually and fly.
If you're into quads, I'm sure you're a DIY'er and can work through this. Check out the 5 USB connections. Maybe only 4 and shell/shield ? USB female A connector to the USB white connector on the 9xtreme via the red cable would what I would check.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446360894.234723.jpg
bob195558

Re: USB Problem

Post by bob195558 »

Hi Rod5454,
When the 9Xtreme is powered up the first time it flashes your stock 9X M64 processor which removes all your old info on it.
I do not know if/how to restore the 9X M64 processor.

Also see here, maybe some help: (viewtopic.php?f=126&t=7756).

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi Rod5454,
Have you started the radio in the bootloader and then attach the USB cable and then run eepskye ? :?:

See download links here: (http://www.er9x.com/)

Bob B.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

What firmware did you have on the 9X?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

Rod5454

Post by Rod5454 »

I hadn`t done anything to it. Just programed it for the quad and put the DJT on it. Along with the D8R-2 Plus.
Also went back into it for another inspection, found a bridged joint at the "future connection" plug on the top left. The USB cable continuity check was confirmed with no problems. Powered up, connected to the USB, nothing from either the 9X or the computer. Not sure how to load the voice and all else w/o the USB working.
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Also what computer operating system and what USB do you have (USB2 or USB3)
that you are trying to make the USB connecting with ? :?:

Today a RC member's first time connecting to his desk top computer with its new Win10 upgrade, failed to read the 9Xtreme SD card.
This 9Xtreme is fully working with my Win7 desk top computer, but with his Win10, the USB (2) connection some times failed to make connection and was not able to read the SD card with every try.
This RC member had a laptop with Win8 on it and it did connect and work properly.
Your problem maybe with your computer. :idea: Can you try a different computer ?

Bob B.
Rod5454

Post by Rod5454 »

I want to thank you guys for trying to help. I`m not real sharp on the downloading kinda stuff so, please bear with me.
I brought the radio in the house to try it on my windows 7 laptop. Pulled the two horizontal trims together while turning it on and, Hello, It went to boot loader V1.5 connecting. Successfully loaded eepe and eepskye for Windows 419 on the laptop. I`m not sure I got it into the 9xtreme. It still says connecting. When I unplug the USB, it says boot loader no firmware. That's an improvement. Not quite there yet but getting closer.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

When you get the Connecting.. message, do you then get 2 storage devices appear on the PC?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Rod5454

Post by Rod5454 »

I did get two devices. Also I can`t find any sign of USB3 on either of the two computers I`m using. Windows 7 Enterprise in the shop and Windows 7 Home Premium in the house.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Mike's the one that really knows how this all works! I'll jump in with this. If you see 2 devices on your computer in the trims center power on mode, and your seeing the connecting message on the 9x screen, you should be good to go. If in eepesky, select file, preferences in the drop down, do you see the 9Xtreme option in the drop down options and have selected it? If so, try a read memory from Tx's download option and see if it does.
The ic icon with green down arrow on it.
My version of eepesky
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446476519.271869.jpg
Rod5454

Post by Rod5454 »

Ok, This got me a little further. Thanks. I got to eepesky, selected file, preferences, selected 9xtreme in the dropdown and was able to have a successful burn with the hex and rom.bin. (Hope that was a good thing). Unhooked the radio from USB, shut off and started with trims in, it says no firmware. I`m gonna try to recruit some help with this from someone that knows more about the computing end than I do.
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Rod5454 wrote:I did get two devices.
Also I can't find any sign of USB3 on either of the two computers I'm using.
Windows 7 Enterprise in the shop and Windows 7 Home Premium in the house.
Hi Rod5454,
The reason I asked about USB3 computer connection is because it has been a problem, some times in the past,
with other components trying to make USB connection, but this is not a possible problem with you.
You are using USB2 anyway and you have connection between your computers and your 9Xtreme radio.

You should download the er9x manual (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6473#p90349) to help you to
understand better, how erSky9x works, as erSky9x_9xt is much like er9x radio firmware.

Also now that you have USB connection, it would help you if were to update the erSky9x_9xt firmware at (http://www.er9x.com/).
Also needed, is to calibrate your radio after flashing to the newest erSky9x_9xt firmware.

I am using eepSkye (Revision: 419 Oct 25 2015) and make sure you have in Preferences / Version to download: 9Xtreme selected.

Bob B.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Rod5454 wrote:Ok, This got me a little further. Thanks. I got to eepesky, selected file, preferences, selected 9xtreme in the dropdown and was able to have a successful burn with the hex and rom.bin. (Hope that was a good thing).
That probably means all is working as it should
Unhooked the radio from USB, shut off and started with trims in, it says no firmware.
On the SD Card there should be a folder called "firmware" and we can keep different firmware files in it, in case we need to go back to an older version. Some people (like me) download the firmware file, copy it to the "firmware" folder on the Card, and then flash it from the radio, not eepskye. If you do not have any firmware file inside this folder, the radio will report "No Firmware".

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Yes, no firmware is normal if you haven't loaded any .bin files into the as card folder. It doesn't mean you don't have firmware.
So does your Tx's Fire up into ersky9x?
Do you see the menu screens? Can you scroll through them? Can you set your backlight colors and levels?
In eepesky even can you download your model memories?
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi Rod5454,
Also, on your SD card, have a folder named: voice, with the erSky9x voice files in it
and then you will have more voice sounds on your 9Xtreme Radio.
See here for the zip file download: (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7715).

Bob B.
Rod5454

Post by Rod5454 »

It does fire up into ersky9x and I can get into the menu and work with it. I can do the colors and model memories. I`m gonna try working on loading the voice files now. Thank you guys sooooo much. I may be ready for a flight in a couple more days if I can remember how to set up the model correctly. Haven`t done that in a long time.
Gravel

Post by Gravel »

Hi Guy's, I am having the same issues. Installed my 9xtreme and can access the menus and programme models but am having no Joy getting my PC to talk to Er9x. I get a TX disc not mounted message. I have started TX in Bootloader mode, it shows in Devices and printers as Taranis mass storage device x 2 but I can neither read nor write to either board or SD card. I have no hair left to pull out so doing lots of head scratching. Any ideas?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Are you using eepskye from here: http://www.er9x.com/? The version you need is at the bottom RIGHT, marked "Provisional 419 release" and "Use for 9Xtreme".

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

And if/when you are using, eepSkye check Preferences / Version to download: 9Xtreme is selected too. :)

Bob B.
whobby

Post by whobby »

MikeB wrote:Are you using eepskye from here: http://www.er9x.com/? The version you need is at the bottom RIGHT, marked "Provisional 419 release" and "Use for 9Xtreme".

Mike.
Hi Mike,

I'm on a mac osx 10.10.?, i've downloaded the latest version from er9x.com, but on the left side, as on the RIGHT side (where it is noted as "Use for 9Xtreme" there is no mac version.

When i plug the USB in the computer, with the radio (FlySky TH-9XB with just installed 9Xtreme board) power switch in OFF position, i get like a very low sound/beep, than a humming sound remains, and on the display i see in the centre "9Xtreme" and at lower left corner, "r00.3". And on my mac osx system preferences, USB device listing, i get a "STM32 Bootloader" listed (see attached image for detail). If i disconnect the radio, this device disappears. Is this STM32 bootloader not the main controller of the original Flysky board?

I'm probably stupidly missing something (i'm new to this).

If i power ON the radio without the usb connected to my laptop, the radio starts fine, get a splashscreen/welcome voice message... can navigate the menus and info pages..

Can someone indicate me a direction to investigate.

Thanks in advance.
-werner
Attachments
STM32-bootloader.jpg
STM32-bootloader.jpg (45.14 KiB) Viewed 12403 times
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

I'm not sure if there's a Mac version yet. Someone in the Mac world needs to help out and port Eepskye over. I could be wrong, maybe that's been done and I missed it, but not that I've heard of. Can you get access to a Windows PC in the meantime?
Is this STM32 bootloader not the main controller of the original Flysky board?
No, it isn't. The FlySky 9X runs on an Atmel Atmega64 or Atmega 128. The 9Xtreme runs on the ST Micro controller.
Gravel

Post by Gravel »

Hi Mike, I am using the eepsky from your link above. Have now gotten to connecting screen on TX but will go no further. I have tried 5 different USB cables, which I have transferred data from my phone with but no joy on Er9x. I have loaded ersky9x9xt_rom onto the SD card so that firmware shows now on boot loader screen, just can't get TX talking to PC. Iam using Windows 7 and the drivers all appear to installed and working. The 9xtreme install was no problem just a slow process of learning the other little tricks. I only got to the connecting screen after accessing the TX via 'My Computer' which I saw someone else had done, this seemed to wake things up. Now stuck again.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

If you have the "Connecting" screen showing, do you have TWO storage devices also appear on your PC?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
whobby

Post by whobby »

s_mack wrote:I'm not sure if there's a Mac version yet. Someone in the Mac world needs to help out and port Eepskye over. I could be wrong, maybe that's been done and I missed it, but not that I've heard of. Can you get access to a Windows PC in the meantime?
Hi s_mack,
thanks for quick answer and help.

I've a win7 virtualmachine. got the version of the RIGHT side from the er9x.com download section, plus the .bin from the middle left last one.

needed to add a driver from STMicro, and after this, booting the radio with the trim sticks "to center", connecting the usb to laptop=>virtualmachine, i get the two new storage devices (one is the SD card i've added and another one with two files .bin).

After finding that eepskye is installed beside eepe install, but i've to get the it directly in the install directory, i've loaded it and it recognizes the radio.

I'll play around it for some time and ask if i'm stuck again. :)

Thank you, again.

2 Dump question (maybe):
- what's the difference between eepe and eePskye (if there is a topic here at openrc forum, point me and i'll try to figure it out, but i've done some searches and could not find a answer other than... for 9X with board .. you must use eepskye and not eepe.

- and as for the eepskye source code is it the one at github (https://github.com/MikeBland/mbtx/tree/ ... pe/eepskye) ?

Thanks.
-werner
Last edited by whobby on Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

er9x runs on the original 9X board that uses an Atmel AVR processor.
ersky9x runs on ARM processor based boards, of which the 9Xtreme is one.
For er9x you use eepe.
For ersky9x you use eepskye.
I can't build the MAC version of eepe/eepskye myself, I'll see if I can get it built. There are some things being sorted. I'm still using QtCreator 4.7. The latest you download is 5.5. To use this needs some changes to the sources. I'll be moving to 5.5 when I get some time to download, install, and use it.
The sources are where you indicate.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Eepe is to be used with 'er9x", and eepskye is to be used with "Ersky9x" which is what the 9xtreme uses.

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

Return to “9Xtreme upgrade board”