9Xtreme Connecting XJT Module

bob195558

9Xtreme Connecting XJT Module

Post by bob195558 »

9Xtreme using external XJT module with Telemetry cable (Black and White wires) through back case,
I have changed the twin connector plug to individual (two) connector plugs.
Note: You may need to mod the Telemetry Cable (Black and White wires) because they are to short in length.
XJT Telemetry Cable 9Xtreme.jpg
XJT Telemetry Cable 9Xtreme.jpg (55.11 KiB) Viewed 25524 times
When using the D-series receivers, the telemetry Black wire connects to the Txd pin and White wire connects to Rxd pin.
D-Series telemetry settings: both DipSW OFF / Com1 / PXX / D8 or D16.
Also could use settings: DipSW 1 ON & DipSW 2 OFF / Com1 / PPM / D8 (this turns the XJT into a DJT module)
which will use the TSSI telemetry readings.
XJT as a DJT module_c.jpg
XJT SPort telemetry.jpg
To use the X8R receiver, S.Port telemetry, the Black wire connects to the S.Port pin.
S.Port settings: both DipSW OFF / Com1 / PXX / D16

Edit; added more info:
The radio decides whether the telemetry baudrate is 57600 or 9600 depending on the protocol, 57600 for PXX and 9600 for PPM.
When XJT module sends telemetry S.Port, 57600 baud using X-series receivers, connect the TX wire (Black) to Pin 5 or the
external S.Port Pin and radio setting are then set to Protocol: PXX and Sub-Protocol: D16 with both dip switches OFF (down).
You can solder the Black telemetry wire to pin 5 (bottom) of the 9x backboard. <br />Then set the protocol to PXX for the XJT module with D16 to use S.Port.
You can solder the Black telemetry wire to pin 5 (bottom) of the 9x backboard.
Then set the protocol to PXX for the XJT module with D16 to use S.Port.
When using telemetry baudrate 57600 for D-series receivers, connect the TX wire (Black) to 5 Pin or the external S.Port Pin
and radio setting are set to Protocol: PXX and Sub-Protocol: D8 with both dip switches OFF (down).

To have the TSSI signal reporting with D-series receivers, connect the telemetry TX wire (Black) to the external Txd Pin
and the telemetry RX wire (White) to the Rxd Pin, then set radio setting Protocol: PPM (baudrate 9600) and Sub-Protocol: D8
with dip switch 1: ON (up) and dip switch 2: OFF (down). These settings changes the XJT into a DJT module.

Also checkout "9Xtreme Add 2nd Internal XJT Mod" see here: (viewtopic.php?f=126&t=8226).

Bob B.
Last edited by bob195558 on Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:05 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).

PacketLoss

Re: 9Xtreme Connecting XJT Module

Post by PacketLoss »

Thanks for posting this Bob, was just about to start looking at connecting my DJT module for telemetry.

I see you've gone for the rear connection but I did see a pic of someone soldering to the back of the board inside the 9x (effectively the back of the pin headers that slot into the DJT module). I wasn't sure what module they were using and if this was dependent on other hardware so am wondering now if this is a real option with the DJT or if you have to go via the back connector!?
9XTremist

Post by 9XTremist »

@ Bob,
I have the XJT and the D8R ll Plus receiver and you stated "To use the D-Series receivers, telemetry, the White wire connects to the Txd pin." So, the white wire goes to the "transmit data" pin on the "data port" Where does the black wire go? To pwr?

Since I will be using the x receivers later you say "the black wire goes to the [signal] input on the 3-pin connection" where does the white wire go? To pwr?

Though they may actually go there, some people think the "Txd" stands for 'transmit "D" series data' and that the "S" stands for SPort connects here.

Thanks,
9xxuser
If you think that musical sounds come from ESC's
then you probably believe that "Star Trek" was
filmed on "Remote Location"
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

My first post had an error to making the FrSky telemetry connection to the XJT Module for D-Series Receivers.
This photo corrects the error with the telemetry wires to the DJT module:
DJT Telemery Connection_b.jpg
DJT Telemery Connection_b.jpg (112.72 KiB) Viewed 25827 times
Also this should help:
9Xtreme Telemetry RX TX Wires_b.jpg
9Xtreme Telemetry RX TX Wires_b.jpg (149.29 KiB) Viewed 24809 times

Update info added "Multimodule Telemetry Wire connection as a DJT": (viewtopic.php?f=26&t=10428&p=132130#p132130).

Bob B.
Last edited by bob195558 on Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
9XTremist

Post by 9XTremist »

Hey Bob,
Thanks for replying. For the DJT bl = tx and white = rx.
BUT what about the XJT using the "D" receivers and the XJT with the "X" receivers. Do you still say bl = "S" pin and white = power pin on "X" receivers on XJT?

thanks
If you think that musical sounds come from ESC's
then you probably believe that "Star Trek" was
filmed on "Remote Location"

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

When using an XJT you always connect to the smart port regardless of the receiver type, there's no reason to connect to the old serial port.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

For the XJT module the black wire goes to the SPort signal pin, the white wire is not needed. If you are only using the XJT module, then you may solder the black wire directly to pin 5 (bottom pin) of the module connector.
The white wire may be connected to to the +pin if plugging the two-pin connector in to the back of the XJT.

You could splice a 'Y' into the black wire and solder this to pin 5 of the module connector, then for the XJT you don't need to plug anythin in to it.

For the DJT module, the black wire goes to the Tx signal and the white wire goes to the Rx signal.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

MikeB wrote: For the XJT you should be using PXX. This allows you to select D16 (for X Rxs) and D8 (for D Rxs).
With the telemetry black wire connected to pin 5 of the module connector (bottom pin), the telemetry all works for both types as well.
Mike.
MikeB wrote: For the XJT just connect the black wire for the telemetry connection to pin 5 (bottom pin, old antenna connection).
You don't actually need to cut any tracks on the back board for this as pin 5 doesn't connect to anything except the big antenna pad.
For a DJT (with wiring mods), you would need to cut the tracks for pin 2 on the back board, and then wire the white wire to pin 2.
(Note: This is the SPort connection not Sbus, Sbus is output by a receiver to control servos).
There is no need to remove telemetry mod wiring that moves the THR and AIL switches to different pins of the Atmel processor.
The 9Xtreme just needs good contact to the 4 pads for the pogo pins.
Mike.
MikeB wrote:Yes, the XJT is already outputs the telemetry on pin 5 of the module connector, there are NO mods needed on the XJT.
Mike.
For Smartieparts 9Xtreme installation Instructions: (http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/index. ... page&id=33).
Also see more info here: (viewtopic.php?f=95&t=7182).
Last edited by bob195558 on Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
BlackGuns

Post by BlackGuns »

Mind if I ask for clarification on "For the XJT just connect the black wire for the telemetry connection to pin 5 (bottom pin, old antenna connection)." ?

When looking at the back of the XJT there's two columns of pins. The left column has Rx, Tx, +5v, Gnd. The right side says Smart Port, + and -.

Should we connect the black wire from the 9xtreme Frsky connector to the Smart Port pin (upper right pin so to speak)?

I'm only asking about the XJT (not the DJT). Please excuse me if I'm being extra "thick". Going to pick up an XJT module and want to make sure I don't mess it up.

Thanks,

Ed
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Actually, they don't mean those pins but rather the pins that mate with the module internally in the 9X. Soldering is required to do it this way, but it is a better result. You solder a wire to "pin #5) which is the bottom one" and connect it to the black wire included with the kit.

Alternatively, use the supplied cable (which you probably have to make longer because I was daft when I chose its length) and plug it into the pins you were thinking of, with the white wire going to TxD (although it isn't really used - it just needs to go somewhere and that's safe) and the black wire going to S-port (the one to the right of tXd)
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

s_mack wrote:Actually, they don't mean those pins but rather the pins that mate with the module internally in the 9X. Soldering is required to do it this way, but it is a better result. You solder a wire to "pin #5) which is the bottom one" and connect it to the black wire included with the kit.
I'd do it this way. solder some kind of connector. Easier if you need to separate the 2 halves someday.. :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
BlackGuns

Post by BlackGuns »

BINGO!! Now that makes sense. I'd rather solder and keep the wires internal. Thanks a bunch.

Thanks,

Ed
CivicBill

Post by CivicBill »

Hi All I am struggling a bit with the Telementry all I recieve is the RSSI. What should I get as default ? Regards Bill
CivicBill

Post by CivicBill »

Hi my first post here. I have problem with telemetry I can only receive the RSSI.
Need pointers to receive other data. "Need the Manual". Hope I’m Posting in the correct forum
Regards Bill
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6473

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi Bill,
What are you using for telemetry sensors with your FrSky XJT module, D Series Sensors or X Series Sensors ? :?:

Here is a zip (pdf) file of the FrSky XJT module manual:
XJT Manual.zip
(164.92 KiB) Downloaded 440 times
More FrSky XJT module info here: (http://frsky-rc.com/product/pro.php?pro_id=104)
and (http://frsky-rc.com/product/product.php ... %20Sensors).

For more info see: (viewtopic.php?f=95&t=7182) and (viewforum.php?f=126).

Bob B.
CivicBill

Post by CivicBill »

Hi All Thanks for your prompt replys. Its late here off to bed .
Its a TGY 9X Extreme board Fr Sky XJT and X8R rx. Only thing that s not working properly is the Telementry. only the RSSI.
I will post what I have done etc Sunday PM Regards Bill
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi Bill,
You are then, using the X8R receiver which uses the S.Port (Smart Port) X series sensors.

When no S.Port sensors are connected to your X8R receiver's S.Port connector,
I believe you will only have RSSI / SWR telemetry reading from your model.

See here for some of the X series sensors which you can purchase: (https://alofthobbies.com/radio-gear/frs ... nsors.html).

In erSky9x / Model Setup / Telemetry, you will need to setup your telemetry setting.
Also in erSky9x make settings: erSky9x / Model Setup / Protocol / External: ON / Proto: PXX and Type: D16.

Bob B.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Easy way to connect the black wire to pin 5 of the 9x module bay pins for the XJT Sport interface. Also lets you separate the case halves without any soldering required later.
Works great!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446997072.831373.jpg
CivicBill

Post by CivicBill »

Hi Bob B. Thanks for the Reply.
Yes that’s what I am getting.
I downloaded the ER9x 2015 manual before I received the SmartieParts Board as I have 2 TGY 9X TX’s, I hate it when the manual is different from what you are working on. :(
Flashed one with no sound or Telemetry modules to get the feel of the system so when I received the upgrade not so much to learn in one go.

All great but for the Telemetry.
I have an Fr Sky Lipo Voltage Sensor from one of my friends for testing, He uses a Taranis and he receives “everything!” he has a Taranis Mavlink APM Pixhawk Telemetry adapter from http://www.droneshop.biz/parts/electron ... apter.html.

Unfortitnaly it runs LUA scripts which are not compatible with this system.
Managed to bind as settings: erSky9x / Model Setup / Protocol / External: ON / Proto: PXX and Type: D16. The Country was set as Ame set as Eur Still no RSSI . :(

Not to worry weather rotten in the UK have properly a week or so before it gets better I’ll go and play with my IOT’s projects for a “rest”

Regards Bill
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi Bill,
Are you, while holding both horizontal trim toward each other and powering up your new 9Xtreme radio (Boot Loader)
and then connecting your USB cable to your PC ? :?:
You then should see this:
9Xtreme Boot Loader Connecting_b.jpg
After some time has pasted, you should see two folder asking to be opened which one of will be to your SD-card files.
SD card folders open on PC_b.jpg
You should have eePe/eePSkye installed on your PC and so use eePSkye with your new 9Xtreme erSky9x_9XT radio.

Bob B.
arh60

Post by arh60 »

Over a Pixhawk I am Using XJT Module , X8R receiver and "APM MavLink to FrSky SmartPort Converter" from airborneprojects.com, connected to S.Port on both sides and only have RSSI / SWR.

erSky9x settings: erSky9x / Model Setup / Protocol / External: ON / Proto: PXX and Type: D16.

MissionPlanner on the Pixhawk is setup for Frsky on Telemetry 2 port. (and tested on telemetry 1)
(a) SR1_EXT_STAT 10
(b) SR1_EXTRA1 0
(c) SR1_EXTRA2 10
(d) SR1_EXTRA3 3
(e) SR1_PARAMS 1
(f) SR1_POSITION 1
(g) SR1_RAW_CTRL 0
(h) SR1_RAW_SENS 10
(i) SR1_RC_CHAN 0
5. Find the command node SERIAL1 and set:
(a) SERIAL1_BAUD 57
(b) SERIAL1_PROTOCOL 1

The SmartPort Converter manual said to Load the Lua telemetry files to the Taranis remote.
https://www.airborneprojects.com/wp-con ... _10_24.pdf

I am not able to do load any Lua, Can not see how it is done

OR is it not compatible with the 9Xtreme
thks a bunch
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

MikeB wrote:For the XJT module the black wire goes to the SPort signal pin, the white wire is not needed. If you are only using the XJT module, then you may solder the black wire directly to pin 5 (bottom pin) of the module connector.
The white wire may be connected to to the +pin if plugging the two-pin connector in to the back of the XJT.

You could splice a 'Y' into the black wire and solder this to pin 5 of the module connector, then for the XJT you don't need to plug anythin in to it.

For the DJT module, the black wire goes to the Tx signal and the white wire goes to the Rx signal.

Mike.
Okay, I fully understand this now...
One more question...
If you are using the Orange LRS Module... will having that wire connected cause any problems? Soldered I mean.

I assume this shouldn't be a problem... the OOTB Rx with Turnigy worked fine.. Binds and works... That is great news...
I will read up on the Orange LRS Module and see what that Pin5 is used for.

Thanks.
Last edited by LTMNO on Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Custom 9x with M64/Telemetry Mod
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

arh60 wrote:I am not able to do load any Lua, Can not see how it is done
Lua is only supported on the Taranis with OpenTX.

You should have most of the info in the normal telemetry parameters, just not the fancy custom graphics.
arh60

Post by arh60 »

It is not my case, I only get Rx= 84, A1=0.52 Swr 0. :(
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Have you configured the A1 ratio (in the telemetry menu)?
Also, have you configured a custom telemetry screen to display other items?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
CivicBill

Post by CivicBill »

That is the same problem I have.
Bill
arh60

Post by arh60 »

Yes I have try different values. And then have fully try all the differents categories on all 3 telemetry screens
CivicBill

Post by CivicBill »

Hi finally found the problem of no telemetry.

Went back to first steps.

The picture I had downloaded re modfying the XJT was incorrect I had connected the TX and RX leads to the uart instead of the Sport this was done early on before I received the upgrade board and it all worked ok then I fitted everything
Then I had the telemetry problems.
Rewired it correctly
I first checked the FrSky Lipo Voltage Tester it worked as it should, Then I tried the Teensy 3.1 board programed as this link at the moment with no mods just worked
http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/amp-t ... 1#comments

Now I can display and hear the information I require.

Time spent checking not wasted ,all information a Plus.
The hardest faults are all the easiest ones when solved.

Many thanks to all with their info.

Bill
ps I cannot find where to find the Thank Button on the Forum
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Its the ThumbsUp button on the right uppers side of the post. Next to the ! " mark.
Last edited by LTMNO on Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Custom 9x with M64/Telemetry Mod

Return to “9Xtreme upgrade board”