Receive 9xtreme and Installation

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Receive 9xtreme and Installation

Post by MikeB »

The firmware on the original 9X will have been changed to firmware to support the 9Xtreme. You will need to re-flash the original 9X to er9x to be able to use it.
Best to update the firmware on the 9Xtreme. Go here: viewtopic.php?f=126&t=7751#p103194 and download "ersky9x9XT_romPbDsm.zip".

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

Meunbe

Post by Meunbe »

MikeB wrote:The firmware on the original 9X will have been changed to firmware to support the 9Xtreme. You will need to re-flash the original 9X to er9x to be able to use it.
Best to update the firmware on the 9Xtreme. Go here: viewtopic.php?f=126&t=7751#p103194 and download "ersky9x9XT_romPbDsm.zip".

Mike.
Ok, so I tried to flash new firmware no dice. Followed Jhsas instructions, no issues pulling and placing programs and files.
But computer says usb malfunction item not recognized. Here are some pics.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I really appreciate the help!
Meunbe

Post by Meunbe »

Disregard previous entry, faulty USB cable. I was able to flash the latest firmware and download the voice files. I can get to the trainer menu and source is set to Jack. I tried checking ppm output. Values do not change. Any thoughts?
image.jpg
this is what you asked me to try? Right
Attachments
image.jpg
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Looks like you are using a stereo cable, or even one that carries power as well (4 connections). I've never tested such a cable, I've only ever used a mono cable (2 connections).

You have a Tx that has a plastic "shroud" around the module pins. This stops the DJT module from fitting properly, and may well stop some of the module pins from connecting. You need to remove this extra plastic around the pins, back to the level of the module bay.

Open up the radio, and remove the back board (held in with 4 screws). This removes the pins from the plastic. Now trim back the plastic shroud either using a sharp modelling knife of a Dremel type tool. Take care to only cut the plastic, not your fingers!
Then replace the backboard and try the DJT again.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

I think 2 (mono) 3 (stereo) and 4 (stereo + mic) pole cables are more or less compatible so it shouldn't matter. "shouldn't", of course, doesn't mean "doesn't". For the purpose of testing PPM though, I can't imagine it won't work with a 4-pole. You just have to figure out which pole is connected. It will be the tip + either the 2nd to last or last ring (should be 2nd to last if they constructed it "normally")

dflying

Post by dflying »

easy install, new instructions were fine with great pics.
Donated
dflying

Post by dflying »

probly not the best place to ask this one: sorry, but while i'm here (or please direct me);

is there a mix input that constantly varies like a test signal? I'd like to feed a lost model alarm that still goes off with E P and T mixed. looked everywhere in the manual.

Thx!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Try the servo test template. Templates are at the bottom of the mixer menu.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Meunbe

Post by Meunbe »

MikeB wrote:Looks like you are using a stereo cable, or even one that carries power as well (4 connections). I've never tested such a cable, I've only ever used a mono cable (2 connections).

You have a Tx that has a plastic "shroud" around the module pins. This stops the DJT module from fitting properly, and may well stop some of the module pins from connecting. You need to remove this extra plastic around the pins, back to the level of the module bay.

Open up the radio, and remove the back board (held in with 4 screws). This removes the pins from the plastic. Now trim back the plastic shroud either using a sharp modelling knife of a Dremel type tool. Take care to only cut the plastic, not your fingers!
Then replace the backboard and try the DJT again.

Mike.
I cut out the plastic shroud. DJT fits perfectly! Thanks, I was using a piece of tape to hold it on before :? . But that's not the problem. I've been using it like that for a bit, prior to installing the 9xtreme. I will go out and buy a mono cable today, just to make sure I don't fry anything!
And I agree installation was straightforward and easy! :D
dflying

Post by dflying »

dflying wrote:probly not the best place to ask this one: sorry, but while i'm here (or please direct me);

is there a mix input that constantly varies like a test signal? I'd like to feed a lost model alarm that still goes off with E P and T mixed. looked everywhere in the manual.

Thx!
perfect, ThX!
ValentinDurand

Post by ValentinDurand »

Bonjour,je viens de commander 9xtreme,j'en profite pour féliciter tout ceux qui contribuent à sa mise au point.Je viens de m'inscrire sur le forum et de lire tous les posts de ce sujet pour me faire une bonne idée du produit.J'avais tout arrêté depuis 15 ans et comme je suis nouveau retraité et que j'ai un peu de temps libre,j'ai acheté un quad et une radio 9x d'occasion au début de l'année et maintenant je me construit un hexa avec une carte quadrino nano et ma 9x que je voudrais améliorer.je suis complètement dépassé par la nouvelle technologie radio et pas très fort en ordinateurs,mais je compte un peu sur vous pour me donner un coup de main si j'ai des soucis.
Comme j'avais déjà acheté une carte RV2.4,elle sera à disposition dès que j'aurai mis l'autre.De plus j'avais acheté 2 nouvelles cartes mères chez HB et comme je me suis trompé,si ça intéresse quelqu'un,elle sont aussi à disposition.Ci joint les photos.
Merci d'avance.Alain
Attachments
IMG_0202.JPG
IMG_0197.JPG
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

For English speakers:

Valentin has been out of RC for 15 years, but having retired recently, he's getting back into it. He bought a used quad and now is building a hexacopter.

He bought a used 9x and is planning to upgrade it with a 9Xtreme card. As a result, he has available a SmartieParts v2.4 programmer. As well, he bought two boards for the 9XR (which don't fit in a 9x) and so has these available too.

Valentin:
J'espere que j'ai exprime les points principaux de votre message.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

You do a better job than Google Translate did, thanks. The post probably belongs in a classifieds section (do we have one?) as people here are unlikely to need either of those things.
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

I have used: Where to buy / Spares / Modules? Selling up? (viewtopic.php?f=42&t=6726). :)

But it is under (Other Forums), should be moved to be by itself maybe ? :?:

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
ValentinDurand

Post by ValentinDurand »

Bonjour,je vais me renseigner pour le port et je donne la réponse.
ValentinDurand

Post by ValentinDurand »

Voilà,le tout pour 43,50 USD port compris.00
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Everything for $43.50 USD, shipping included.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

For anyone with a spare HC-05 (or HC-06) bluetooth module, I seem to have an HC-05 working with the 9Xtreme!
I'll be posting a new test version of ersky9x for the 9Xtreme with this in soon.
There are (currently) 3 main possible uses for this:
1. Relay raw telemetry data out over bluetooth.
2. Receive SBUS data over bluetooth from a PC running eepskye.
3. Use with another ersky9x Tx as a wireless trainer connection.

I've been testing use 3. This generally seems to work. I need to do a bit more testing, and test the other two functions as well.

The connections needed for this, if you want to get started, are to use 3.3V and GND together with Tx and Rx from the bottom row of the 15 expansion pads, and use a wire from the PA5 pad (left of the board) as the control signal for the HC-05. For the control signal to work, you will need to modify the HC-05 as shown in this post: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7640. That post/thread also includes some information on using bluetooth.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Just posted the test version with bluetooth in it (here: viewtopic.php?f=126&t=7751&p=103194#p103194). I've tested all three functions (had to fix a couple of bugs) and they all work.
I've only tested this connecting to "COM2". If you are not using the I2C connection, this may be used as a "COM3". I have code in to select this as your bluetooth connection, but I haven't got round to moving the wires and testing if it works.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I will wait until this is working. :) With so many pins available I don't think i2c will be needed on this board...
Mike, did you look into that option that was in ersky9x before where we could have the radio outputting PPM on the trainer port when connected to another radio via BT? In this case maybe outputting the channels over USB joystick as well.

Thanks

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I happen to have an Arduino on my I2C driving the rotary encoder. So, I'm going to have to remove that, then re-solder wires to check if "COM3" is working, which is why I haven't done it yet.
If you are not using the COM2, then you can wire to that, and it is then only 2 wires to move to use COM3.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Regarding PPM on the trainer port. I don't remember changing anything, so I think you may have done the following, which works anyway.
Plug the trainer cable in to one Tx, no power on. This will operate in trainer student mode and output the trainer PPM signal.
Now, instead of using the trainer menu to switch the outputs use PPM1 to PPM4 as extra mixes on the channels, controlled by a suitable switch.
Turn on the 'other' Tx and let the BT connection establish, you now have the PPM1 to PPM16 available. Use the 'other' Tx for the student, and the first Tx as the teacher.

This, at least, gets something working for you to use.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Hmm, I wonder if it was like that all the time.. :o I gotta check that later or tomorrow.. I got the feeling that might be the case
though.
Thank you Mike

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I almost certain it was like that. I have, however, found the code that disabled processing the trainer data when powered due to the trainer cable being plugged in. I've now changed this so if the trainer source is BT, the trainer processing won't be disabled.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Just posted a test version for the 9Xtreme. You now have a choice of using a bluetooth module on COM2 or COM3.
To use COM3, you need to set, in the Hardware menu, "I2C Function" to COM3, then "Bt Com Port" to COM3.
The I2C SDA signal is COM3 Rx (data IN to 9Xtreme), and the I2C signal SCL is COM3 Tx (data OUT from 9Xtreme).

This version also includes the trainer output PPM as described on the previous post.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Thanks Mike will test all that. Will install haptic and the BT on the 9XT later in the evening. Then the radio can probably be closed until you find/add some new hardware support.. wi-fi comes to mind ;) :)
Will test the PPM trainer output. Question, would it be possible to make it an option? Not just when using BT.. I mean, it must be using BT and be turned ON somwhere, otherwise it might be limiting other possibilities..
Another interesting possibility, and reason to have this as an option, would be the ability to receive trainer over BT and from the Jack at the same time.
This would allow the FPV people to connect their head tracker to the trainer port while still allowing a spotter connected via BT and using a trainer setup. A spotter is necessary in some countries.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

You can't have TWO sources of trainer input active at the same time.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I thought it could be possible if using different ranges of channels to avoid conflicts..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Bluetooth and SBUS both supply 16 channels.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

yes I know.. But you can't have a radio receiving for example trainer over BT from a spotter, and at the same time a head tracker to control your FPV Camera.. This could be useful for many.. I don't fly FPV but for others it might be a good thing..

Hmmmm, well, errrrr.... I could teach two people at the same time :D ;)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:

Return to “9Xtreme upgrade board”