Using in 9XR-PRO

MikeB
9x Developer

Using in 9XR-PRO

Post by MikeB »

To use this module in a 9XR-PRO, set the protocol to DSM2 (it does DSMX as well), and select the type as "9XR-DSM".
Make sure the telemetry is set to COM1 and "Invert COM1 is ON". This is done in the Telemetry menu.
Binding is done at power on, either by holding the button on the back of the module in, or the trainer switch pulled forwards. Keep the switch held or the button pressed until bind completes.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

Suncoaster

Re: Using in 9XR-PRO

Post by Suncoaster »

I am attempting to setup some telemetry options, I have the Flight Pack Voltage and Temperature Sensor and I cannot see which options I should use in a custom telemetry screen, I have tried Batt and T1 but they do not appear to work also can you display RSSI and TSSI using this module. I will be interested to try the Current Sensor when it becomes available. So far though I can't see much to wean me off FrSky.

Dave
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

T1 should work as the temperature sensor. The flight pack voltage is mapped to "FasV", Batt is the transmitter battery voltage.
RSSI should also work, on a scale of 0 to 31. This telemetry doesn't provide a TSSI value.

To check you are receiving the telemetry correctly, you should find there is an extra telemetry display screen with most of the DSM telemetry data showing, RSSI on the top line.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

Deleted. I found the right place. I was only pressing the down button and not the left and right buttons.
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

I now have the display screens and the various labels but there is still no data being displayed. I have changed the UserProto to DSMx in the telemetry settings, is there anything else I need to change. I had power to the Rx and the telemetry cable attached to the Rx and the battery at the time I took these screen shots.
Telemetry1.jpg
Telemetry2.jpg
Telemetry3.jpg
Sorry to be a nuisance but I would like to get this working.

Dave

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Set proto to "DSM2", and DSM Type to "9XR-DSM"

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Please confirm you have "FrSky COM Ports" is set to COM1 and "Invert COM1 is ON".

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

Confirmed
telemetry4.jpg
Done.
Telemetry5.jpg
I can also confirm that I am using the test version from the 26th of June. Over to you again.

Dave
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

What receiver and telemetry unit are you using?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

This Rx
OrangeRx R720X 7Ch 2.4 GHz DSM2/DSMX Full Range Receiver. PRODUCT ID: 9171000582-0
and this sensor
Flight Pack Voltage & Temperature Sensor for OrangeRx Telemetry system. PRODUCT ID: 9171000551-0.

Dave
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Not had one of those receivers to try!
I notice the manual says you can disable the telemetry when binding by putting a bind plug in the throttle output. If you have a servo plugged in to the throttle output when binding maybe this could look like a bind plug and the telemetry is disabled.

There are some diagnostics available for the DSM telemetry, although they are really only present for my testing, but they might help. Press UP long, then RIGHT until you get to the DSM DIAG screen. This appears as just a mass of numbers.
There are 5 4-digit (hex) numbers on the top line. What is happening to the fourth one along this line?
I expect one of three possibilities.
It isn't changing at all.
It changes about once per second, counting up.
It is changing quite quickly, counting up.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

The module appears to work correctly, including telemetry, with a range of Orange and Lemon receivers, though I haven't yet flown with it. I now find that like the other new Orange modules it refuses to control throttle on a UMX Sport Cub S or Radian. These are ones that use DSMX 22ms protocol.
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

MikeB wrote:Not had one of those receivers to try!
I notice the manual says you can disable the telemetry when binding by putting a bind plug in the throttle output. If you have a servo plugged in to the throttle output when binding maybe this could look like a bind plug and the telemetry is disabled.

I will check this as well, as the last time I bound the RX I did have a servo plugged in but I cannot remember if it was in the throttle output. You were absolutely right, I did have a servo plugged into the throttle output. Once I removed the servo and rebound everything works. :oops:

There are some diagnostics available for the DSM telemetry, although they are really only present for my testing, but they might help. Press UP long, then RIGHT until you get to the DSM DIAG screen. This appears as just a mass of numbers.
There are 5 4-digit (hex) numbers on the top line. What is happening to the fourth one along this line?
I expect one of three possibilities.
It isn't changing at all.
It changes about once per second, counting up.

This is the option that I am seeing

It is changing quite quickly, counting up.

Mike.
Sorry for taking up your time with my mistakes, you have much better things to do with your time, but that is a mistake I will not make again. :oops: Now to set some voice alarms, what would be a safe numbers to set for RSSI. The other values I can work out for myself.

Dave
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I would say it is actually poor for the Rx to detect a "Bind Plug" on the throttle channel with just a servo plugged in. Electric flyers may well have an ESC plugged in to that channel when binding.

You will probably need to work out suitable RSSI values by testing. This module supports "Range Test" mode, chosen in the "Protocol" menu. In this mode, the output power is reduced and the RSSI value is displayed. Move away from the model checking the controls still work while seeing what the RSSI value is.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

That sounds like a plan, I will report back with findings. Once again thanks for all your help. :D

Dave
adamxr

Using with Walkera Ladybird

Post by adamxr »

Hi Mike,
Do you have any info you can provide for binding this new module using the Walkera / Devo protocol to something like the Walkera Ladybird? Or their other BNF models?

Not sure which Proto to select in the Protocol menu - seems like the module only "wakes up" when its set to DSM2 / 9XR-DSM, but then I guess the Devo protocol is different to DSM, so wouldn't bind?

So far I've tried binding my little Ladybird using the above settings, also tried "PPM", and "Multi / Devo", in different sequences (power on radio first, power on model first) but with no luck so far - the status LED on the model just continues flashing, as if still waiting for a valid bind signal...

I should note that the Ladybird will also bind Ok to the Devo TX it came with, and the 9XR module will bind Ok to OrangeRx receivers, so both appear to be otherwise functioning Ok.

Thanks,
Adam
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I don't know regarding the Walkera use, I don't have any Walkera kit to test. It was a surprise to me when it appeared on sale saying it supported Walkera, there was no mention of this during development.

Normally you use DSM2 and 9XR-DSM to get the module working for DSM use. My only suggestion is to try the following:
Set the protocol to PPM.
Bind to a DSM Rx by switching on while holding the bind button pressed on the module.
Once bound look to see if the LED on the module is flashing. If it is, try pressing the bind button an see if the LED flashes differently. If it does, then pressing the bind button is changing the RF protocol between different DSM modes. Does the module have a mode where it does 4 flashes then a pause. If so, try binding to the Walkera in that mode, using the bind button on the module at power on.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
adamxr

Post by adamxr »

Ahhh right, Ok thanks Mike.
Tried the steps above, but not much luck -
Firstly the module doesn't seem to respond at all when the protocol is set to PPM - no flashing LED or beeps from the module when powering up and pressing the bind button.
Then tried with protocol set to DSM-9XR - the module binds ok (to an OrangeRX receiver) using the button on the module, the LED flashes twice continuously, but pressing the bind button again the LED doesn't flash any differently.

Open to any other suggestions! But have emailed HK product support anyway to see what they come back with - will post any useful info I can get.

Cheers,
Adam
Daedalus66

Using in 9XR-PRO

Post by Daedalus66 »

Can't offer any insight regarding Walkera, but the behavior in DSM mode described above is consistent with my experience (and with the way the other new Orange modules work). That is, binding the receiver to the module is what sets the module in the correct DSM mode (DSMX 22ms or whatever). To use a receiver of different mode, even if bound previously, you must rebind, as that's the only way the module can be made to change. In these new modules, pressing the bind button three times no longer changes mode as it did in the first generation modules.

The mode is indicated by the number of flashes of the module LED. In the case mentioned above, two flashes indicates DSMX 22ms.

The internal module does not work with the PPM setting in my experience. It needs to be set to DSM2 protocol and then to 9XR-DSM type.

A receiver previously bound in DSM2/9XR-DSM mode will appear to link if the protocol is changed to PPM but won't actually control servos.

The other thing to note is that like the other two new modules, this one does not work properly with recent UMX models such as Radian, Sport Cub S or NanoQX. The throttle channel does not function.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
adamxr

Post by adamxr »

Ahh Ok, thanks for the input Daedalus :-)

Am still plugging away with the HK product support channel (they're asking for a video of the issue??)... Wish me luck!

Cheers,
Adam
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

You'll need it to get through to them!
adamxr

Post by adamxr »

Sooooo, after months of chasing up and trying to escalate from HK support, no response at all from the actual product team or anyone useful.. All the HK email support guys could do was have me fill in an RMA for a refund :/
What a colossal waste of time!...

Pure speculation, but the module (and most of the new telemetry receivers) have been on backorder pretty much since they were first released - wonder if HK got into some patent dispute, and been "advised" not to talk about them??

Oh well, the DSM side does still work fine for my purposes, have since got around the walkera prob with the ladybird by swapping out the flight controller with a quanum pico 32 board (aka scisky32, has a DSM2 receiver built in) which is actually quite fun, tinkering with CleanFlight on a micro quad :)

Think I've read that nano QX issue discussed elsewhere too, I did notice a quirk with binding to ORX satellite receivers connected to an Ardupilot-based quad, wonder if the issue is the same (or related) -
- With the sat hooked up to a 6ch ORX receiver (with bind plug connected) the sat would bind up fine (ie flash when powered on, then go solid orange when TX was powered on with bind button pressed).
- However when I connected the sat back to the Pixhawk based flight controller (they support direct connection of sat receivers) the controller seemed to get no response from the receiver..
- Connecting the Flight Controller to a PC for diagnosing, the mission planner software has a screen with bars that represent the stick inputs from the TX, which normally move up and down when you move the sticks - all blank, ie zero input from the sat...
- A quick search on the issue found the Ardupilot devs had not yet implemented the DSM sat protocol for greater than 8 channels..
- Sure enough, when I changed the number of channels to 8 (or less - defaults to 12 I think?) the bars in Mission Planner lit up instantly, and everything started working!

Cheers guys
Daedalus66

Using in 9XR-PRO

Post by Daedalus66 »

Thanks for the update and the advice on Orange satellites.

Nothing seems to have changed on the HK front except that the Orange DSMX/DSM2 modules are no longer usually on back order. They work well with stand alone receivers from Spektrum, Orange and Lemon but still don't work with the integrated DSMX receivers in models such as Radian UMX, Nano CPX, the Nano QX, 180QX and 350QX quads, and models equipped with SAFE receivers.
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

Mike, Daedalus66

I have just received one of the Lemon 7ch telemetry receivers and I am attempting to set up a custom telemetry screen in addition to the default DSMx screen. I have noticed that rssi appears on the top right of the screen along with Timer1 (at least I think it is Timer1), the value for rssi appears as 31 and does not seem to change. I haven't had a chance to do a range check yet, I will do so tomorrow at the flying field. Apparently Lemon now return rssi in the A field and I noticed that the A field on the bottom left of the screen has a value of 100 in it, all the other fields across the bottom show either 999 or -999.
Would it be possible to remove the timer1 value and report rssi using the A value returned by the Lemon telemetry and if so how would I set this up.

Dave
Telemetry1.jpg
Telemetry1.jpg (27.81 KiB) Viewed 22452 times
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I believe the "rssi" value is actually the stength of the signal received by the Tx module. When I first coded the screen I thought it was from the receiver. I have, very recently, changed the label to "tssi" because of this. Yes it is timer 1 at the top right.
I'll need to check exactly what the Lemon receiver is returning. At one time the A value was not a real rssi value but just an indication. I've just asked on the RcGroups Lemon telemetry thread.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

Any updates on this Mike?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I have renamed the rssi text to tssi, but I haven't added an option to use the 'A' field as the RSSI value (yet).
I've raised the priority of this in my 'ToDo' list.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Wimh

Post by Wimh »

Tried my 9xr pro dedicated Orange module today in vain. Cannot get it to bind to a new 820 x receiver. Receiver goes in bind mode OK, rapid flashing, when I start Tx in bind mode this changes to slow flashing and then no light. Led on module goes red(flashing) , module beeps 3 times, then 3 more times and goes out as well...servos go to neutral while binding, but unpowered after LEDs out... I don't get it....
Wim
Belgium
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Does it bind to any other receivers?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Wimh