Using in 9XR-PRO

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Using in 9XR-PRO

Post by MikeB »

It seems I've re-flashed all my modules to use the MULTI protocol! So I can't test this until I flash one back to the original code I have. I only ever had prototypes anyway.
I did find a bug in the code for that module, but I don't have the source code so I couldn't correct it anyway.

What firmware revision are you running (SVN and Date please)?

You might consider flashing the module to the MULTI protocol anyway.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

How can I select the 'A' value for use in a low signal alarm, the default DSM telemetry screen shows this value in the bottom left, and it is not much use if you cannot set an alarm when the value drops too low. Would it be possible to edit that telemetry screen so that it can be customised to suit individual model types eg electric or gas powered where you may want to monitor different telemetry values.

I have selected the A value as RSSI in the general telemetry screens and I noticed when I was in that screen the RSSI and TSSI value were identical, you would normally expect there to be a minor difference.

Dave
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

All the DSM telemetry values are 'mapped' to what would be FrSky telemetry values, so you are able to use the custom telemetry screens to display any values you like.

When you have 'A' as the RSSI value, is this the value appearing as both RSSI and TSSI?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

MikeB wrote:All the DSM telemetry values are 'mapped' to what would be FrSky telemetry values, so you are able to use the custom telemetry screens to display any values you like.

OK, I will experiment with these values to get a display that works for me.

When you have 'A' as the RSSI value, is this the value appearing as both RSSI and TSSI?

Yes it is

Mike.
Thanks for your help.

Dave
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'll investigate when I get a moment.
If it is on RSSI though, then the RSSI warning and critical settings should work and give alarms.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

That's true, but the value shown for RSSI is about 48 but the value showing for A is around 99/100, that is with the Tx and the Rx in close proximity. I had my low alarm set for 40 and the critical alarm set for 35, this was based on discussions in the Lemon telemetry thread on RCGroups and this was causing the alarm to sound with the model less than 50 meters away.

I have disabled the alarms for now and will wait for a solution from you.

Dave
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I think I've found the reason for the 48 value. The firmware does some averaging, and was (incorrectly) getting a value of 0 from another telemetry packet (for a different telemetry unit). So it averaged the 99 and the 0 over time.

I'm trying to test this, but seem to be having problems with my Lemon telemetry unit, the only one I have!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The "Music" test version of ersky9x should have the value of the RSSI correct, but I can't test it until I have my telemetry unit sorted.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

Thanks Mike I will give it a try in the morning and let you know the result.

Dave
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

Mike, the problem still exists, using the DSMX telemetry screen the tssi reports 48/50 and the A value on the bottom left reports 100, so nothing has changed.

Dave
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

Mike any progress on this one yet. :(
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm waiting on a replacement telemetry unit so I can test what is happening, otherwise I'll need to write some special simulation code.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

Ok, I don't want you to waste time writing simulation code I will wait until you advise me of the availability of a fix for the problem, if you want me to test anything let me know.

Dave
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I now have the fix for this. I've still to build all the firmware versions and post them.
I have a replacement telemetry unit, and using that, I managed to find a faulty resistor on my original unit and fix that!

Mike.

Edit: Now posted as "ersky9xProvR219t_music.zip".
erskyTx/er9x developer
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

Thanks Mike, I will test and report back.

Dave

Edit: Only had time to give it a short test today, I will give it a full workout at the weekend, but so far it looks good.

2nd edit. Having now used it for some time with a couple of different Lemon Rx's I can confirm that it works really well.
Bruce1

Post by Bruce1 »

I'm having trouble binding a receiver to an OrangeRX DSM telemetry transmitter module for 9XR Pro.

This is the transmitter module:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/orangerx-2- ... tible.html

Inserted module into 9XR Pro transmitter with ersky9x-r212 firmware.
In model setup page 01 (setup), set proto to DSM2 and set DSM Type to 9XR-DSM.
In model setup page 10 (telemetry), set UsrProto to DSMx.
In model setup page 11 (telemetry2), FrSky Com Port is set to 1 and Invert Com 1 is on.
Power up the receiver with bind plug in and orange LED is flashing.
Power up the transmitter with the bind button pressed.
LED on receiver flashes 7 times then goes out.
Transmitter module beeps 3 times twice and LED lights solid red.
Receiver is not bound as servos do not move with transmitter sticks.
Does same thing with telemetry receivers like the R820X and non telemetry receivers like the R410X.

I've searched the web and there doesn't seem to be much out there other than a few who had similar experiences.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thank you!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Is there a BIND option in the model setup menu? If so, use this option to start the binding, not the button on the module.
If there is no BIND option in the menu, hold the TRN switch on while powering up the Tx to start the bind.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
BLT

Post by BLT »

Yes, there is a bind option in the model setup, page 01. When I select it (with the RX in bind mode), the TX says binding, it beeps and the haptic vibrates. Does this over and over, but the RX never stops its fast flashing. I assume this bind is for binding the telemetry back to the TX. I haven't even gotten the TX to bind to the RX so moving the sticks moves the servos yet.

The trainer switch does the same thing as pressing the bind button on the back of the module.

What am I doing wrong?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The ersky9x firmware is, I think, the firmware as shipped. You might consider updating to the most recent release and trying that.
Do you have eepskye on your PC?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
BLT

Post by BLT »

Yes, I have the ersky9x-r212 firmware as shipped with the transmitter.

In the comments, the fellow in this video says he upgraded his firmware to version 220 and he still has the exact same problem as I.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_2f-ML6gEk

In Model Setup page 11, Telemetry2, there is "FrSky COM Port". This is set to 1 and cannot be changed on my TX.
But I'm using Turnigy telemetry, not FRSky aren't I? Shouldn't there be a setting for whether or not you are using the FrSky telemetry?
In the radio setup screen under "Hardware" is where the manual says it should be, but there is no such option on mine.

Any ideas?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

BLT wrote:Yes, I have the ersky9x-r212 firmware as shipped with the transmitter.

In Model Setup page 11, Telemetry2, there is "FrSky COM Port". This is set to 1 and cannot be changed on my TX.
But I'm using Turnigy telemetry, not FRSky aren't I? Shouldn't there be a setting for whether or not you are using the FrSky telemetry?
As far as I know that setting was renamed to "Telem. Com Port" as it doesn't apply only to Frsky, it applies to all telemetry..

In the radio setup screen under "Hardware" is where the manual says it should be, but there is no such option on mine.
You are using a really old version of ErSky9x and referring to a very old manual. For sure many bugs were corrected since then, as well as new features and options were implemented.
As Mike said, I would consider updating the firmware to the latest version.
I am quite sure that if something is broken in that version, it was already fixed, and I think he won't fix it again only for that version :) :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

BLT wrote:In Model Setup page 11, Telemetry2, there is "FrSky COM Port". This is set to 1 and cannot be changed on my TX.
There is, you already have it set "In model setup page 10 (telemetry), set UsrProto to DSMx."

It would help if you update to the latest release as there have been many changes since r212.
I'll see if I can find a module to test myself. I think I've re-flashed all the ones I have to use the MULTI protocol so I may need to flash one back!

Mike.
Edit: Just checked, I have re-flashed all my modules, I'll need to flash one back to test.
erskyTx/er9x developer
BLT

Post by BLT »

Good advice. I updated to the latest ersky9x-r220 and it fixed the binding problem.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

Next I'll work on the actual telemetry.

Thanks again!
BLT

Post by BLT »

jhsa wrote:
You are using a really old version of ErSky9x and referring to a very old manual
João
The only 2 manuals I could find were the ErSky9x Explained for r204 from May 2014 and the Er9x Manual 2015 Edition. It was in that 2015 manual that I read about the radio setup hardware screen that mentioned FRSky Mod Done.

I have updated to the r220 firmware. Is there a more recent manual that I have missed?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

BLT wrote: It was in that 2015 manual that I read about the radio setup hardware screen that mentioned FRSky Mod Done.
Ahhhh, you mentioned the "Frsky COM port", not the "Frsky mod done". This is in Er9x not ErSky9x. The 2015 manual, even if it can be used for Ersky9x which is what you use on your radio, it is for radios with Er9x. This is a lighter version of the firmware that runs on radios with AVR processors.. The hardware menu is completely different..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Wimh

Post by Wimh »

I updated to version 220 in the hope I could finally bind an orange receiver, but now I no longer have a bind option, neither my trainer switch nor the button on the module activate bind mode( they did before the update???) How do I check if the module gets powered at all? Why do I have to set an "internal" or "external module? How?
Wim
Belgium
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Wimh wrote:Why do I have to set an "internal" or "external module? How?
Because Ersky9x can handle 2 modules.. one internal and the other external..
The module bay is the external module, and that is the one you need to configure for your module..
I have 2 modules installed in some of my radios.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Wimh

Post by Wimh »

Then what is the internal module on the Pro? And why no more light on my orange module after the upgrade? Where can I find the correct settings for the orange module in version 220 ?
Wim
Belgium
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

What Tx module do you have?

There is a 3-way connector on the back board of the 'PRO that provides power, ground and a PPM/serial signal for an internal module.

You could try the latest test version of ersky9x (ersky9xProvR221a5.zip), from the test versions thread.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Wimh wrote:Then what is the internal module on the Pro? And why no more light on my orange module after the upgrade? Where can I find the correct settings for the orange module in version 220 ?
The 9XR-PRO itself CANNOT switch the power to the module via software, so power should always be present in the module bay as soon as you turn the radio ON..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:

Return to “Orange DSM Telemetry module”