DSM2 Multiprotocol Module Binding

ersky9xr is the port of the er9x firmware to the 9XRPRO radio.
Derpdiherp

DSM2 Multiprotocol Module Binding

Post by Derpdiherp »

Hi, I'm trying to bind one of these:

http://www.dronejunkie.co.uk/product/bn ... cing-quad/

To my ar9x with the latest ersky9x firmware on it. The quad uses DSM2 / 22ms ( 1024 ).
i
I'm using a banggood multiprotocol module and I can't for the life of me get it to bind. I've triple checked that the quad is set up correctly in cleanflight.

The multiprotocol module has the most recent firmware on it with the correct protocols enabled, and has been soldered to accept serial mode. I've also bound it in the past to a FrskyX receiver.

I've set up the transmitter to use the external module, multi, DSM, DSM2-22.. From what I can see that should be correct. The only thing that has me thinking is the option for "rate" - I assume this is refresh rate. I know DSM2-22 is meant to be 22ms, but it only goes up to 11ms?

Any suggestions from anyone?

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: DSM2 Multiprotocol Module Binding

Post by MikeB »

Rate is the frame rate between ersky9x and the multi module, shorter is better.
Try setting the Type to AUTO, then binding.
Also, what do you have Option set to? You probably need to change it from 0, try 4, which will display as 4Ch for 4-channels.
However, using Auto should detect the required settings during binding.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Derpdiherp

Post by Derpdiherp »

Thanks Mike, I'm glad I was confused about the rate.

So far as I know Auto mode requires the receiver to have telemetry? I seem to remember reading that on the wiki. Is that not the case?

And yes I've tried using 6 - 8 channels in the options recently ( strictly it's supposed to only work with 8 according to the quads sellers site ) and that hasn't worked.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Many DSM receivers do respond during binding whether they have telemetry or not. The RF chip supports transmission at low power, enough when binding so Auto is worth trying.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Derpdiherp

Post by Derpdiherp »

Just tried it - still not working :(.

It's hard for me to say that the quad's defective when I'm using such a strange hardware combination to try and communicate with it and no other DSM receivers to attempt to bind to.

I'd be tempted to buy a OrangeRX DSM module to attempt it but everywhere seems to be sold out.

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

You may be doing this, but put the Rx into binding mode, then set the Type on the Tx to Auto and select the Bind option in the menu.
Before you do that, go to the telemetry menu and set the "Usr Proto" to DSMx, and make sure you have "FrSky COM Port" set to 1.
You may also need "Invert COM 1" set, depending on your build option of INVERT_TELEMETRY for the Multi module.

When binding, the mode reported by the receiver is displayed on the BINDING screen.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Derpdiherp

Post by Derpdiherp »

It's best to check! I double checked the telemetry options when attempting AUTO bind mode this morning and again there was no luck binding to it, I also double checked that I have the correct option in the source for the multimodule commented out for telemetry inversion and I do.

And yup I've been using the binding option from the protocol selection menu, and just in case there was something going on there I've also been attempting to use the bind button on the multiprotocol module.

It's certainly a head scratcher, I can't think of much else that could effect it other than either a problem with the quadcopter or a problem with the chip for DSM on my multiprotocol module - as I can bind to FrskyX fine.

I've contacted the supplier of the quadcopter for now for assistance, but if you or anyone else here can think of some other incantation I can shout at it to make it bind it'd be muchly appreciated!
Derpdiherp

Post by Derpdiherp »

And just to cover all bases - you mention that the mode should be reported on the binding screen - there's nothing appearing but the BINDING text.

It only seems to flash like it was attempting to bind normally on the multimodule as well.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

So the red LED on the module is on solid and when you select the bind option starts flashing quickly?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Derpdiherp

Post by Derpdiherp »

That's right. Solid until bind mode, flashes in bind mode, then solid after a few seconds - I assume that's because it's failed to bind.

On the quad end it just keeps flashing with no change or feedback.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Derpdiherp wrote:
I'd be tempted to buy a OrangeRX DSM module to attempt it but everywhere seems to be sold out.
It looks like HK is having serious problems with their Orange products FCC certification, or the lack/faking of it..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Derpdiherp

Post by Derpdiherp »

jhsa wrote:
Derpdiherp wrote:
It looks like HK is having serious problems with their Orange products FCC certification, or the lack/faking of it..

João
Ahh that makes sense. To be honest I'm surprised it's took this long for them to start getting red stamps and tape thrown at them. Not sure if that'll matter here in the UK though. Yet anyway.
Derpdiherp

Post by Derpdiherp »

Just to update this thread. Everything was fine with the multiprotocol module and AR9X + ersky9x.

Turned out the seller got frsky D stock and wasn't told. So when I finally give up and get a beecore to replace the old flight controller I take off the shell and there's a micro FrskyD receiver staring at me.

Much annoyance was had and I ended up switching to the beecore anyway. But overall a happy ending :)

Return to “ersky9xr”