9XR Pro New Purchase New to RC Noob

ersky9xr is the port of the er9x firmware to the 9XRPRO radio.
HigherPrimate013

9XR Pro New Purchase New to RC Noob

Post by HigherPrimate013 »

Hello all. Last week I purchased a 9XR Pro on CL that came with X8R Rx and XJT Moudule along with a Lipo monitor. No wires or parts for connections came with this lot.
I bought this in hopes of using it to control my new RC FPV crawler truck that I'm getting into the hobby with. This past week I have exhausted this site in hopes of getting this to all work, but my welder's brain has hit the wall hard.
I have managed to flash the contoller to er9x but I cannot seem to figure out how to program a model to control my truck or import a template that I have found in these forums into my radio.

HELP!

I made a video of the state the radio is in now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqIyESzj7Ok

I've read all of the manuals and I'm not afraid to admit that I am just out of my wheelhouse with programming it.

Can anyone help me with a step-by-step to program this thing? I need the long range capabilities of this radio that the bundled radio just won't match.

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: 9XR Pro New Purchase New to RC Noob

Post by MikeB »

Go to http://www.er9x.com/, and you may download the 'latest' revision (r221) of ersky9x.
You will also find a manual for er9x there. While ersky9x is more capable, most of the er9x manual is still valid.
Regarding the throttle warning, have you done the stick calibration, and is the radio set to mode 2?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
HigherPrimate013

I have done the calibration. I'm sure I don't know how to set mode 2. I have gone to the site you listed and flashed the radio with the latest firmware. I have the latest manual and every time I try to follow it I just can't get the outcome I want. I seriously need the 9XR Pro For Dummies version. I tried page 10 method to upload template to radio process and still get conflicts there with file types eepm and eeg something, don't remember title now, but it just doesn't work out.
HigherPrimate013

R221 is installed.
HigherPrimate013

Ersky9x-r221
10:33:12
MOD: REVB-X

RETA
MODE 2 RUD THR ELE AIL

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

When the 9XR-PRO first appeared, manuals were created for it and are posted here: http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic ... 581#p79505.

Are you still getting the throttle warning at power on?

Have you installed eepe on your PC? (eepe is also available at http://www.er9x.com/.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
HigherPrimate013

Throttle warning still comes on, but goes away when you pull stick down. Says throttle is reversed in settings though. I do have eepe and eepeskye installed.

I have downloaded and thoroughly read every bit of literature available on the internet and lots of the posts here over the past week and this just becomes more confusing and frustrating.

Can someone PLEASE post a step by step video on YouTube on how to set this up. I've also watched most of the videos there and noone does a Step 1, 2, 3... video there on how to set this up for a plane, much less a rock crawler fpv truck.

This is frustrating enough to toss in before even getting started, but oh well...

Thanks for your responses, Mike. But to be fair, there's so much conflicting info out there it's just too convoluted for a beginner like me.
HigherPrimate013

I've rebuilt engines in newer full size cars that were far more simple than programming this thing.
HigherPrimate013

Hey, hey, hey! I made some progress. Got the radio to boot up without warning and with the voice greeting. Now if I could just program it to run a truck with lights and pan/tilt FPV control, I'd be golden!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Lights and camera panning are some of the easiest programming you can do with this radio.
Also, not very useful to show how to program a certain plane or truck because they all need different settings. You need to understand the basics, for example, how to program a simple switch. And this, the Er9x manual explains, and very well. As Mike said, please go to www.er9x.com and download it. It even has a chapter with examples at the end.
At the end of all my posts there is a link for some video tutorials that I have made. Some are quite old, but still good to learn the basics. The difference is that there are new features, or some existing features were renamed..

João

My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The default settings tend to be mostly for a fixed wing 'plane. For a ground vehicle you need to decide what you want the channel outputs to control, then you may configure them in the "Mixer" menu.
A few questions:
1. Does the throttle stick need to be "off" in the middle position and then give both forward and reverse?
2. What do you want the other sticks to control? (e.g. what controls the steering?).
3. How do you want to control the pan and tilt, using sticks or pots?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
HigherPrimate013

Thanks for the replies and guidance guys. I'll pore over the manual some more.

I have just managed to update the firmware for my FrSky XJT module successfully.

The throttle will need to be sum zero (middle position) so I am assuming, hopefully correctly, that I will need to assign throttle controls to the right (aileron) sprung stick. I would also need the throttle and reverse to be able to switch to 80% expos for slow crawling over rocks.

That will leave steering l/r to the rudder (left stick).

I plan to assign l/r panning of the camera gimball servo to the same left stick rudder control, but at 70% so that it doesn't pan as fast as the steering while the truck is in motion. Also when the truck is stopped, I would like to use the left/right controls of the right stick (same as throttle stick) to pan the camera gimbal left and right for driving adjustments in case I have to view 180° for reverse or adjusting route without moving the steering. Don't know if this is possible without conflict though. Could another switch be assigned to allow 2 l/r pan controls?

I also hope to assign the pan up/down servo of the gimbal to what would normally be the left stick throttle up/down assignments also at 70%. Basically, where the steering goes, the camera goes but slower.

I would like to assign the lights to the gear up/down switch and maybe another switch for ess motor sound module (maybe but not vital).

So, yeah. Now I just have to figure how to correspond my ideas to this controller and make the X8R receiver comply with the esc of the truck.
Wow. I only needed to edit this forty times to make them a complete sum of ideas.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

All should be quite possible, take the items one at a time.
For the throttle, you may want to disable the normal throttle warning since the right stick is biased to the centre.
This is done in the "Radio Setup" | Alarms menu and applies to all model memories.
Also, in the "Radio Setup" | Controls menu you may rename the stick functions.
Expo and triple rates are set in the EXPO/DR menu for the model.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
HigherPrimate013

Thanks for your time and responses. I know you have a lot on your plate. Hopefully I'll get there. Your tips will surely help.

Return to “ersky9xr”