Turnigy QBot radio adapter

ersky9xr is the port of the er9x firmware to the 9XRPRO radio.
sdavies

Post by sdavies »

I guess that this is a bit off topic but I'm losing hair rapidly.
I have just received a Turnigy QBot quad-copter with a Turnigy QBot radio adapter and am trying to get them to work with my 9XR Pro. with FrSky module.
I have tried both the provided Futaba and JR connector cables and both Rx first and Tx first binding but nothing happens after the Rx LED flashes for a few seconds and then goes out.
I have tried both Futaba (green LED) and JR/Turnigy (red LED) modes and have also tried turning training on hard by assigning the rudder switch to all trainer channels.

Can anyone suggest other Tx configuration options that might be relevant?

Cheers and thanks,
Stephen

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Turnigy QBot radio adapter

Post by MikeB »

I don't know what a "Turnigy QBot radio adapter" is. Please provide a link to the device so we can help.
If it is using the trainer port, then you need to set the trainer source to "Slave" so the Tx outputs trainer PPM data rather than receives trainer data.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

It’s like the AnyLink, a separate RF module with its own battery that plugs into the trainer port. The transmitter needs to be switched OFF so that plugging in the external module can turn it ON.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/q-bot-micro ... tore=en_us
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

As Daedalus says, either leave the Tx OFF, and plug the JR jack plug in, or set the "Trainer Source" to "Slave".

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
sdavies

Post by sdavies »

Sorry for not replying earlier but I had to go interstate for a few days.
The solution seems to be along the lines suggested but the trainer setting seems redundant.
I set the module to JR mode, turned on the module power and plugged it in using the JR cable with the Tx off.
This turns on the Tx and somehow forces it to training slave mode (even though I had set it back to jack).
Suddenly, it flew - luckily without hitting anybody/thing.
I had to reverse all channels except rudder to make it controllable.

Cheers and thanks,
Stephen

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Rule number one, test the trainer setup with the model powered off. That is why you have the output main screen (the one with the bars) on your radio. You can see if all outputs match the normal setup (Master radio) when you turn the trainer switch and move the sticks on the student radio..

João

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

The Tx has to be in Slave mode so it will send the signal out the trainer port to the RF module (otherwise, it will be in Master mode and send it to the internal module). This is accomplished by plugging in the module with the Tx turned OFF; the action of plugging in then powers up the Tx in Slave mode.
As you discovered, there is no reason to assume that channels work in the correct directions with this setup. So it is vital to proceed with great care and not have the motor live when testing (or take the prop off).

João
We’re not talking here about a trainer setup (master and slave transmitters) but about plugging an external RF module into a single transmitter.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Ah, ok.. Didn't realize that, my bad sorry.. :)

João

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

There are two options for this.
The first is, as described above, to plug the trainer cable in with the radio powered OFF. This powers the radio on, and it automatically goes into slave mode on the trainer port.
The second is to go to the radio setup menu, and select trainer. Set one of the four trainer profiles to have a source of "Slave".
Now on the model setup, go to the protocol menu and edit the trainer protocol. At the bottom, select the trainer profile you configured above. This will output the trainer CPPM signal, even if the radio is powered on.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Thanks for that clarification.
sdavies

Post by sdavies »

Using the JR-style trainer cable, all is now AOK but I cannot get the Futaba cable to work.
As I understand it, the only big difference between the cables is that Futaba includes power and that is why it has so many pins.
Plugging in the Futaba cable does not turn the Tx on so I have been trying Mike's option 2.
I have changed Trainer profile 0 to Slave mode and then gone to the Protocols menu in Model Setup.
The initial entries are only Trainer Polarity, Internal Module and External Module.
If I select External Module, I get four more options; none of which seem to reference a trainer profile.
What am I missing?
Cheers and thanks,
Stephen
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

What version of ErSky9x are you using?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I don't believe the Futaba port on the 9XR-Pro is compliant with a real one, it is wired correctly only when used as an input, not as an output, it was meant for people using head trackers.

Normally the Futaba connector uses 2 different pins for in and out, but here the input pin is used for both (just connected to the same signal of the JR port which does both with one).

I.e. for a module use the JR port.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

If you haven't updated to a test version of ersky9x (or r221 just released), then the trainer profile to use for a model is the Model Setup|General menu (near the bottom).

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
sdavies

Post by sdavies »

OK. I'm on r220 but will update to r221 ASAP and then try the Futaba cable again.
Given the comment regarding the Tx wiring it may still not work.
That's not a big deal as the JR set up works.

On a side issue, when using the JR cable, the rudder channel is not centred on the main page display even though offset and trim are zero and the Tx has been recalibrated.
Playing with trim and offset on this channel does not seem to work as usual and even seem to be reversed.
Is it possible for the QBot module to mess with such things?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

As I understand the Futaba connector, if the "master" transmitter sends battery voltage to the slave, on pin 4 of the connector, this should turn the slave Tx on without needing to turn the slave Tx on.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

That's how it is on original Futaba radios, but none of the 3rd party "reincarnations" implemented that, becasue in the end it actually became a source of problems more than anything even on original Futaba sets and people started using cables without the power wiring.
Worked back when it was designed and all radios used 8-cell NiCD, but then some started using 4-cell, 2s or 3s, and you had better not mix the wrong ones with a power-carrying trainer cable.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

On the 9XR-PRO, the 'power' voltage from the Futaba socket is used to turn the soft power switch on. It looks like as long as the voltage is at least 5.2V this works, and is correctly detected by the firmware as "powered from the trainer input".

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
sdavies

Post by sdavies »

The QBot adapter only has 3.7V.
Still no joy with the Futaba cable with r221 etc so I will give up on that and just stick with JR.
Thanks for the inputs,
Stephen

Return to “ersky9xr”