Telemetry sudden stopped on XJT module

ersky9xr is the port of the er9x firmware to the 9XRPRO radio.
MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Telemetry sudden stopped on XJT module

Post by MikeB »

"Diag4" posted. This should show the word High then Low on two lines 5 times, then the COM1 invert is enabled, so you should then see High and low followed by Low and High 5 times, then it repeats High-High, Low-Low 5 times and so on.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

voodoo614

Post by voodoo614 »

I believe it did what you described. What is interesting, the first time I ran it, the High and low appeared first. After that, I was not able to do that again.

So that means my inversion appears to work?
Attachments
videocompress-034-20170929_150930.mp4
(12.35 MiB) Downloaded 380 times
voodoo614

Post by voodoo614 »

You mentioned something about sound. I have noticed that there is a lot more statics in the voice compared to before this happened.
d2f

Post by d2f »

Hi. Ive had similar problem - telemetry has dissapeared some day.
I have investigatet that debug counter starts to run when I try to move xjt in socket.
Counter runs when module is not completely inserted.
So have resolder xjt module connector, but no effect.
Have resolder 9xrpro module connector - no effect.

But after few days of intense dlg flying, telemetry starts to work!
And works fine!

Dont have clue why.

In time of not working ive found this thread and have tested all test patch (but not test firmware)
I am using r220 from begining with my 9xrpro.

Wysłane z mojego C6903 przy użyciu Tapatalka

voodoo614

Post by voodoo614 »

Mike. Anything else. Or you think this TX is dead as far as telemetry?

d2f

Post by d2f »

Have you try to debug while reinserting module?
Mayble it is the same problem as my issue?

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I haven't had time to do another test version, but I'll do something this evening. There must be a reason why you are not getting any telemetry, just need to find out what it is.
You could try the serial test again, after running the test that display HIGH and LOW. Run the high-low test and power of at a time when both words are high, then flash and try the serial test. The programmable inverter should be in the correct state.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

OK, I've posted a "Diag5". This starts doing the high-low test, inverting the signal after 5 cycles then putting back to uninverted after 10 cycles. After a couple more cycles, it changes to doing the serial test and different baudrates. For the first set of tests, it uses a loopback internal to the processor, changing to using the external hardware that loops back anyway.
It only sends the characters from A to F to reduce the test time.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
voodoo614

Post by voodoo614 »

d2f wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:19 pm Have you try to debug while reinserting module?
Mayble it is the same problem as my issue?

Already checked the trace from bay to the main board. Also tried a brand new XJT module.
d2f

Post by d2f »

I have also checked the trace, and place second module. Telemetry starts working when removing or inserting module to turnigy (switched on). Can you try it?
Watch counter on debug screen.

voodoo614

Post by voodoo614 »

I re-run the High-Low and turn off at High-High. Loaded the serial test and plug in COM 2 (bottom right on Futaba port) and the alphabet started. It stops when I pull the COM 2 and starts again when I plug it back in.

Loaded r220 firmware and still not telemetry.

Will test Diag5 and report back. I assume that I should have the XJT module in when I run Diag5, since it will test external hardware?
voodoo614

Post by voodoo614 »

Here is the result of Diag5.
Attachments
videocompress-023-20171006_003338.mp4
(14.25 MiB) Downloaded 275 times
jhsa

Re: RE: Re: Telemetry sudden stopped on XJT module

Post by jhsa »

d2f wrote:I have also checked the trace, and place second module. Telemetry starts working when removing or inserting module to turnigy (switched on). Can you try it?
Watch counter on debug screen.

NEVER EVER remove or insert the module with the radio turned ON, unless you want to damage it.. It wouldn't be the first one.

João

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
d2f

Post by d2f »

Can you link me to some those threads of damaged 9xr pro + xjt this way?
I did not found any before doing the test.

Last edited by d2f on Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

They are buried somewhere in these forums.. Please search the forums.
I know because I helped to find the problem and fix it.
I repeat again, inserting and removing the RF module while the radio is ON, may damage the radio. This happened with different radios including the PRO. So, if it happens to you, you have been warned :) If you don't believe me, keep doing it, you might be lucky as you have been until now :)

The 9XR-PRO is known to have too small pins on the module bay that sometimes prevents the module from having a good connection to the radio.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
bob195558

Re: Telemetry sudden stopped on XJT module (Do NOT remove module with radio power ON)

Post by bob195558 »

d2f wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:55 amCan you link me to some those threads of damaged 9xr pro + xjt this way?
I did not found any before doing the test.

jhsa wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:13 amThey are buried somewhere in these forums.. Please search the forums.
I know because I helped to find the problem and fix it.
I repeat again, inserting and removing the RF module while the radio is ON, may damage the radio.
This happened with different radios including the PRO. So, if it happens to you, you have been warned.
If you don't believe me, keep doing it, you might be lucky as you have been until now.

It is hard to find (search) where the info is about damaging radio when removing module with radio power on.
This is all I can find so far "PPM protection resistor": (viewtopic.php?f=126&t=8778).

(viewtopic.php?f=123&t=9114&p=118068&hil ... ge#p118068)

I am not able to find where jhsa helped to fix radio from removing module with radio powered on causing bad damage.

Bob B.
Last edited by bob195558 on Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

d2f: Definitely check the length of the pins in the module bay. You want at least 12mm from the plastic at the back of the radio to the end of the pins, preferably 13mm or more. I have 13.5mm on my 'PRO, but I did change the pins as I had some longer ones lying around!

voodoo614: That test worked correctly, so I'm now not sure what might be wrong. You might also check the length of the pins on your radio. I find my XJT module is mechanically a bit loose in the 'PRO module bay. Try running the "Diag5" firmware, but normally i.e. not holding the right trim at power on, with the XJT module in place and a receiver powered on. Do you get telemetry now (there is a change in the main code related to the Com1 inversions operation)? If you don't get telemetry, try pushing the module sideways to see if the telemetry then starts working.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
voodoo614

Post by voodoo614 »

I tried the Diag5 firmware. Still no telemetry. I even took cover off the XJT module to make sure the pins are making good contact. Move the module to no avail.

I did notice that the telemetry display blinks. Is this significant? Blinks regardless whether module is in or not.

When running the diagnostic program, it does the same thing whether module is in or not.
Attachments
20171008_002346.mp4
(6.79 MiB) Downloaded 304 times
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Really odd this problem.
Please try:
Connect a voltmeter to the bottom two pins of the module connector, bottom but one is ground. Do this very carefully so you guarantee no pins or connections can short to any others.
Now run the DIAG5 test. When the upper line shows HIGH, the voltmeter should read 3.3V, when the line shows LOW, the voltmeter should read 0V.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
voodoo614

Post by voodoo614 »

Multimeter seems to change from 0V to 2.6V. The switching is done too quickly for my multimeter to can't keep up. I can't tell for sure if it is actually 3.3v.
voodoo614

Post by voodoo614 »

I found something interesting. Pin 5 S. Port from JR bay, should be connected to the left pin on J18. But is connected to the right pin, which should be ground. And the left pin on J18 is grounded.
voodoo614

Post by voodoo614 »

Any thoughts on the trace being different?
d2f

Post by d2f »

MikeB wrote:d2f: Definitely check the length of the pins in the module bay. You want at least 12mm from the plastic at the back of the radio to the end of the pins, preferably 13mm or more. I have 13.5mm on my 'PRO, but I did change the pins as I had some longer ones lying around!
I have changed pins two times. 1st time for much longer pins and ribbon cable, second time as long to fit xjt in place (adding 1mm more wont fit xjt - to long). Also, i did try to fit xjt without plastic case - board directly on pins.
And then, moving module out powered 9xrpro cause debug screen counter works.
I will not try this anymore, but now module is inserted and telemetry works. So i will not remove module until it works.

Also, what was discovered by me last time - my futaba port wiring is not full - have only ppm cable soldered but no com.
Some early version? Mayble some other issue.

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Where did you buy your radio from? The only radios I know didn't have the COM port at the Futaba port were the test radios sent to the beta testers..

João

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
d2f

Post by d2f »

From private person as almost new one. Ive got it as as new as that person changed gimbals to taranis ones. Ill try to contact him and ask about beta.

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Mine also doesn't have that connection as it was a test radio. I never added the connection.. Could you please post a picture of your radio? I would like to see the display area..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
d2f

Post by d2f »

jhsa wrote:Mine also doesn't have that connection as it was a test radio. I never added the connection.. Could you please post a picture of your radio? I would like to see the display area..

João
Tell me, please, what do you see here ;-)Image

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I see that your radio is a normal production radio.. I am surprised that it doesn't have the connection to COM2 on the futaba port.. Someone messed up, probably on a monday :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
voodoo614

Post by voodoo614 »

Mike,

I just wanted to update you what is going on with my radio.

So, I went ahead and bought myself the new Horus X10S. I bound my quads and telemetry worked. I put in the XJT module and bound the quad, and telemetry did not work. My initial thought was the XJT unit was bad is probably correct. If you recalled, I did get a new module unit, but it still did not work. Now I am thinking the second XJT was DOA, or the radio was still funky when I was testing. After all the Diag firmwares, I think the radio somehow started working again. Remember at first, the Diag result was not you expected. So now, I am thinking, if I get a new XJT module, it will work. I returned the new module unit I bought so I can test the new unit.

All I know is telemetry works with the internal iXJT on the Horus but not when I use the external XJT.

Anyway, any thoughts on why my pin trace doesn't match up with the schematic?
conker

Post by conker »

Well, I'm having the same problem SPort seems to be not working on my 9XR Pro... I've run debug firmware from Mike results look ok. I checked with logic analyzer output from SPort Pin on 9XR Pro it outputs some data when trying to flash new f/w, however, no reply comes from XJT module or as a matter of fact anything I connect to this pin. Now tricky bit, if I bridge TX pin with SPort (TX outputs telemetry regardless). Firmware won't acknowledge anything coming in so no RSSI/SWR data... I'm out of ideas what could be wrong.

In addition, my bootloader menu after a second gets stuck every time, pressing any key won't do anything... Like if radio goes to hard fault or something.

What I want to do is to attach a debugger to the radio, I have SEGGER Jlink, so for sure I can do it, but I have no idea where are SWD/NRST pins routed on board I don't really wanna solder directly to the MCU. Any help would be appreciated since I wanna finally get over this (super annoying). I'm one step from buying Horus X10S but really hate when I'm forced to do so.

Return to “ersky9xr”