Wierd issue with right gimbal

Hardware Support for the 9XR Pro
EdwardMcRichy

Re: Wierd issue with right gimbal

Post by EdwardMcRichy »

MikeB wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:04 pm Don't go by the colours of the wires in the radio, they don't use standard colours, and sometimes they are different on different radios!
The gimbal colours are red, brown and yellow. Red should be 3.3V, brown 0V and yellow is the signal.
Use the measured voltages on the JST, 0V, and 3.29V are the power, the other is the signal.

Mike.
Mike,
If i'm understanding correctly where I read 0v, I'll put my black wire (on taranis gimbal), I'll put red on 3v. These gimbals have two different colors, the horizontal is green and the vertical is yellow so I'll put those where I read .3v. does this sound correct?
When I'm not flying I'm dreaming of flying, when I'm not dreaming of flying.....I'm asleep

EdwardMcRichy

Post by EdwardMcRichy »

I've switched some wires around, everything is going in the correct direction but still don't get full throw after doing calibration. I'm going to trim some of the face plate and re-calibrate to see if that does the trick.
When I'm not flying I'm dreaming of flying, when I'm not dreaming of flying.....I'm asleep
EdwardMcRichy

Post by EdwardMcRichy »

Now when I lower the stick it reads: RV 00AD -71.9, at center RV 00FB 0.0, at the top RV 02E 93.5

After doing this it now rests at center RV 00ED -13.9
EdwardMcRichy

Post by EdwardMcRichy »

Ok got everything to work. Mike you were correct it was wire ordering so I took some time to swap wires around. So for anybody who purchase the PR10 Taranis Gimbals this was my wiring order. With the radio open and looking at the back of the gimbals and working left to right.
Pitch and Roll (Right stick mode 2)
1st JST Vertical Wire Harness Black, Yellow, Red
2nd JST Horizontal Wire Harness Red, Green, Black

Throttle and Yaw (Left Stick Mode 2)
1st JST Vertical wire harness Yellow, Red, Black
2nd JST Horizontal Wire harness Black, Green Red

Thanks for your input Mike, I love Ersky9xr
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Good you now have it all working.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

EdwardMcRichy

Post by EdwardMcRichy »

MikeB wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:57 pm Good you now have it all working.

Mike.
Just flew 4 packs, the gimbals feel great though I'm not used to the way they feel so it's like learning all over again. Great radio, awesome firmware.....

Also blew the R9 resistor somehow when I had the radio open so had to bridge that before I went out to fly.

Thanks for your help
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

This may be a help with wiring new Gimbals to the Turngy 9x Radio: (viewtopic.php?f=94&t=10678#p133946).
Note: always better to use your Multimeter to be sure which Gimbal wire is which.
Last edited by bob195558 on Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
EdwardMcRichy

Post by EdwardMcRichy »

So i just updated my blog about this mod to the 9xr pro, hopefully this helps some one out. http://thehabitualcrasher.blogspot.com/ ... t.html?m=1
iFeghali

Post by iFeghali »

jtroutt19 wrote:Well. I just spoke with hobbyking (livechat) they are sending me a new one. I dont even have to ship this one back to them!! woohoo.
But I read that people put the aurora 9 gimbals in this thing. I will prolly end up doing that. I really like this radio. Couldn't ask for more. I have taken a vow to never use a spektrum radio. I have a buddy that that is all he will use. We fight all the time about whos radio is better. and even though my old 9x could do much more than his spektrum he still would tell me the spektrum was better. Even when I popped a spektrum module into the back of the 9x and bound to his planes while he was using the bathroom....so yeah.
Is it a plug & play swap ?

I never used my radio, I’m still learning how to use and setup it and I already feel like my gimbals are going bad.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Did you try calibrating your radio's gimbals?
Please go to "Radio Setup / Calibration" select it, and follow the on screen instructions..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
iFeghali

Post by iFeghali »

jhsa wrote:Did you try calibrating your radio's gimbals?
Please go to "Radio Setup / Calibration" select it, and follow the on screen instructions..

João
Yes I did. But the right gimbal behaves differently in the upper and lower parts. Sometimes it sticks up and takes more time to center.

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Ok, check if the case of the pot is moving on the gimbal.. It has happened and the fix is to somehow glue the pot case to the gimbal. then calibrate the sticks again. It might not be the issue, but its worth check. you could use hot glue for example, if that is the case..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
edelsailor

Re: RE: Re: Wierd issue with right gimbal

Post by edelsailor »

iFeghali wrote:
jhsa wrote:Did you try calibrating your radio's gimbals?

João
Yes I did. But the right gimbal behaves differently in the upper and lower parts. Sometimes it sticks up and takes more time to center.

This has issue been discussed before. If the software or firmware is good, the Gimbals are bad.

The problem is that the potentiometer is defective. I will say it bluntly! These gimbals are poorly made. There is no trunion bearings to support the potentiometer shaft. Therefore through use (often a heavy finger), the potentiometer shaft experiences excessive axial movement and this places undo wear on the potentiometer disc, eventually rubbing off the resistance plating. This in turn causes open circuits, which the software can not adjudicate.

This can be determined (if there is defective resistance plating) be using a continuity tester.

The solution. Replace the gimbal. Most try to butcher in better (high quality) gimbals from other radios in (there is more on this in this group and on the web.

I fully suport Turnigy's Radio software. It has great potential to program any thing a user can imagine. But I am severely disssapointed in the cheap hardware (non bearing on shaft potentiometer).

P.S. Most of the high end radios use optical encoders. But it is a fact that better resolution is availble to software by using resistance potentiometer's. And there are manufacturers of extreme resolution potentiometer's with roller bearing support of the shaft. Why Turnigy did not source these is beyound my pea brain comprehension.

Regards, and best of luck.

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

michel49

Post by michel49 »

On my stick one of the pins of the pot was not crimped properly, not the case which moved.
iFeghali

Post by iFeghali »

I’m not sure I was clear enough. My problem is not a software or electrical issue. It’s mechanical. I can see the right stick struggling to move back from top to center. I believe it’s either the spring (I suppose there’s one) or something is sticky.

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

jhsa wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:48 pm Ok, check if the case of the pot is moving on the gimbal.. It has happened and the fix is to somehow glue the pot case to the gimbal. then calibrate the sticks again. It might not be the issue, but its worth check. you could use hot glue for example, if that is the case..

João
Please check this..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
iFeghali

Post by iFeghali »

By the way, if the pots are low quality can’t we just replace them for a better one instead of the whole thing ?

iFeghali

Post by iFeghali »

jhsa wrote:
jhsa wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:48 pm Ok, check if the case of the pot is moving on the gimbal.. It has happened and the fix is to somehow glue the pot case to the gimbal. then calibrate the sticks again. It might not be the issue, but its worth check. you could use hot glue for example, if that is the case..

João
Please check this..

João
Ok I’ll do as soon as I arrive home

edelsailor

Post by edelsailor »

Yes the potentiometer can be replaced, if you can source it. When I determined that my issue (same symptoms) was indeed a bad potentiometer, I found a simalar potentiometer on Bangood and Alibaba. When I say simalar, I mean the resistance rating configuration. The pots in my 9xrPro are 20, 000 Ohm, 0 Ohms in the center and a 60 degree rotation on each side. I am only relying on my memory in regards to the resistance of 20, 000 Ohms. But I ran into a problem with the shaft configuration, the modification could accomplish a fit into the 9xrPro gymbal.

As I mentioned in my posts in the past in regards to this issue, I intend to machine myself (I am a hobbyist machinist) a set of gimbals using high quality/high resolution potentiometer's. But as shortly after my issues with the 9xrPro, I aquired anothe radio for flying at a really good discount because of a going out of business sale of my local hobbie store. The 9xrPro, is shelved for the time being. I am still interested in my gimbal project, because I know with extreme resolution potentiometer's, the 9xrPro will out fly any radio out there costing much much more.

If you are determined to continue using your 9xrPro, there are used ones available, and a decent and adept hobbyist can disassemble the gimbals, and replace the pots into your radio. There is no left or right pot per say, they are universal.

If you are interested in my gimbal or the potentiometer out of them, I could be interested in helping you out, but I travel and do not expect to be home again before the end of September.

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Which 9XR-Pro Gimbal is it ? (Left or Right)

And which mode is this 9XR-Pro radio ? (mode 1, mode 2, mode 3 or mode 4)

The Throttle pot is different from the other three pots.

There may be some replacement pots some where if you can find them.
They are not common pots.
The 9XR-Pro Gimbals are odd things now and not made anymore.

I have some mode 2, left side (throttle) new in the box, 9XR-Pro Gimbals.
I also have several sets of used 9x Gimbals.
iFeghali

Post by iFeghali »

Mode 2. Only right gimbal has issues but if I’m gonna replace anything I would replace both of them and for something with better quality and easy to install. I guess it’s too much to ask :/

iFeghali

Wierd issue with right gimbal

Post by iFeghali »

Ok I fixed my right gimbal by pulling it off the radio and pushing a little bit the elevator pot away from the gimbal. Then I pushed it back in. Recalibrate and works like a charm now.

bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Now you see how poor quality these pots are.
Just by pushing it around can brake or fix them.

Return to “Turnigy 9XR PRO radio”