Constant beeping from FrSky XJT module

Hardware Support for the 9XR Pro
larsks

Constant beeping from FrSky XJT module

Post by larsks »

I've recently acquired a Turnigy 9xr Pro along with a FrSky XJT module and X8R receiver. I am able to successfully bind the transmitter to the receiver: after binding and turning off/turning on both devices, the light on the receiver is green and I can control an attached servo.

However, the XJT module beeps *constantly*, and I can't find any information anywhere about what this might mean. This only happens when the transmitter is communicating with the receiver; if I power on the transmitter without powering on the receiver, the module is quiet.

The 9xr Pro is running ERSKY9X 218 (the current version), and is in PXX mode.

I'm hoping someone here can help me sort this out because the beeping is driving me batty. Thanks!

Kilrah

Re: Constant beeping from FrSky XJT module

Post by Kilrah »

Could be that receiver power supply is too low.
You can look at the telemetry data on the radio to confirm.
larsks

Post by larsks »

Kilrah,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Which telemetry value would have the receiver power supply voltage? I can see RSSI, TSSI, and SWR values right now. Adding TMOK to the display shows "1", which I guess means I'm getting "basic telemetry". As I understand it, things like Cvlt and Ctot require a voltage sensor, which I don't have at the moment. I'm currently feeding the receiver from a +5v power supply rather than a battery, which from the specs seems like it should be okay.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I don't know how the field is called in ersky9x. Could be A1.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The receiver voltage is RxV, and there is a calibration setting for the value on the Telemetry menu (2nd page). It is also shown as A1 (for backwards compatibility) unless there is a real A1 being sent.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

larsks

Post by larsks »

Mike,

Thanks for the note. I had just found a message from you elsewhere (thanks, past Mike!) that got me sorted out w/r/t to the voltage telemetry, and in fact it does seem to have been an under-voltage warning; apparently the +5V on my Arduino was actually putting out +3.3V, which I found out after sticking a multimeter on it.

Incidentally, with my X8R receiver, the voltage is only available as A1 (RxV shows 0).

Thanks again; enjoying the blessed silence from the XJT module.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

There is a calibration setting in the telemetry menu for RxV. If you haven't changed that, then RxV will read 0.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
baktoehold

Post by baktoehold »

I have exactly the same problem as Luis has shown in this video, the alarm in the DJT goes off as soon as the Rx is connected and continues after power is removed from the Rx. The solution is documented but I do not have an FLD-02 to change the alarm value. I've disconnected the Rx from everything but an independent power supply and that had no affect. I've seen posts where Mike Blandford suggests connecting the DJT directly to a PC running eePe, and no transmitter is needed (maybe? other than power 5v?).

So I built an RS232 cable from the Rx/Tx/GND connections on the back of the DJT that then runs into my PC and connects to COM7. (I know that connection works because I've built cables using the RS232/COM7 for a couple of Garmin GPS units.) DJT power is supplied by my 9xrPro (running ersky9rx_218, btw).

And then I need some help. The eePe 'help' brings up the pdf for the Er9x but nothing that I've found in there talks much about the use of the eePe program. Not sure what to put into the AVRDUDE Configuration - USBasp? USBtiny? There's no "Frsky" or the like. I'm not getting a connection, for sure. When I click on "Read Memory from Tx", I get this:
=================================================================================
Started AVRDUDE
C:/Program Files (x86)/eePe/avrdude.exe -c usbtiny -p m64 -P com7 -U eeprom:r:C:/Users/myPc/AppData/Local/Temp/temp.hex:i
=================================================================================
avrdude.exe: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x1781/0xc9f)

avrdude.exe done. Thank you.

AVRDUDE done - exit code 1
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

With everything connected, and the radio powered on, run eepe.
Now select the Telemetry|Teleemtry menu, and you should get a dialog box showing
Set your COM port at the top, then select the "Module" tab.
I think you then need to click on the "Start" button at the bottom right, then click on the "Read Alarms" button, the values should be read from the module.
Set all the alarms to "Disabled", then click on "Set Alarms".
Finally click on the "Exit" button.

You could then exit eepe completely, then repeat the operation to check the alarms read their new values.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
baktoehold

Post by baktoehold »

I have a 9xrPro(r218) with a DJT-to-Futaba Rx/Tx jumper for telemetry readings, and discovered a way to turn off the DJT alarm. The problem with this solution is that you have to do it every time you power up the Pro. After powerUp, use the Iron Cross button to the left of the display screen. Long LEFT to bring up the general menu. Goto Alarms>Frsky internal alarm>ON. Then power up your RC. Whatever YEL/ORG/RED alarms you have set on your Pro will fire, but the DJT alarm will silence. Now set Alarms>Frsky internal alarm>OFF, and both the Pro and DJT alarms will be silent.
Once the alarms are silenced and you power down the Pro, if the Futaba jumper is then disconnected the alarm will not return. However, once the jumper is plugged in, you have to go thru the above steps again to silence.
Last edited by baktoehold on Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

What do you have appearing on the "FrSky xSSI" menu. These are settings for the Rx RSSI and Tx RSSI in the module.
Try setting these levels to 0.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
baktoehold

Post by baktoehold »

They are at 0.
I have to conclude that from my 'solution' above, and using the eePe Telemetry window, that the Pro writes the Telemetry RSSI alarm values to the DJT when the Futaba telemetry jumper is connected. Those values are collected from the RC model Telemetry page (long RIGHT>RIGHT>Telemetry), not the General Settings page (long LEFT>FrSky xSSI).

After resetting all alarms/values thru eePe, if immediately reading alarms again thru eePe, the A1 and RSSI values remain 0. But if I disconnect from the PC, connect the Futaba, then reconnect to the PC/eePe, then the alarm values are again displayed on the eePe Telemetry window. And the RSSI alarms read from the DJT match the 45/Yellow, 42/Orange that are set in the RC model page.

BTW, the RSSI values are over 90, since I'm right next to the RC. So the 45 should not trigger the DJT alarm.

There are also A1 values set in the DJT written to by the Pro, as seen in the eePe screen capture. Again, these values come from the RC model Telemetry screen. (The set voltage on the Pro is converted to an integer value on the eePe - refer to the screen capture.) But the A1 alarms are Disabled, so that should not be causing the beep. Interesting problem.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The values for the A1 and A2 alarms, on the telemetry menu, are only still present for historical reasons. It is recommended that alarms are now set using "Voice Alerts", with the values on the telemetry menu left at 0.
The only value(s) that needs to be set there is(are) the 'ratio' setting and the type ("v", "V" etc.).

I'll run a few tests myself to see what is happening.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “Turnigy 9XR PRO radio”