RTC not working

Hardware Support for the 9XR Pro
Suncoaster

RTC not working

Post by Suncoaster »

My RTC is no longer working, I have replaced the CR2032 battery but it makes no difference. There is 3.2v measured at the battery holder but that's it.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Dave

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: RTC not working

Post by MikeB »

Check the RTC does run when you set it (I think you may have already done that).
The battery supplies power to the RTC chip (U2, a MCP79410-I/SN device) via resistor R81 (100 ohms) and diode D7, ending at pin 3 of U2. Check the battery voltage reaches each of these.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

MikeB wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:21 am Check the RTC does run when you set it (I think you may have already done that).
The battery supplies power to the RTC chip (U2, a MCP79410-I/SN device) via resistor R81 (100 ohms) and diode D7, ending at pin 3 of U2. Check the battery voltage reaches each of these.

Mike
The RTC does not run, and the checks you have listed will require daylight to check as my eyesight under artificial light is not the best. I will check this tomorrow and report back.

Dave
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Please be careful not to short anything while measuring :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

If the RTC doesn't run at all when you set it, as opposed to not keeping the time when poaered off, then the problem is unlikely to be the battery.
I'll possibly need to see if I can do some specific test firmware to help investigate.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer

Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

Suncoaster wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:16 pm
MikeB wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:21 am Check the RTC does run when you set it (I think you may have already done that).

Mike
The RTC does not run, and the checks you have listed will require daylight to check as my eyesight under artificial light is not the best. I will check this tomorrow and report back.

Dave
I have 3.2v at pin 3 of u2.

Dave
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The RTC is an I2C interface dvice, so you should see 3.3V on pins 5 and 6. Pins 1 and 2 connect to the crystal (X2).

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “Turnigy 9XR PRO radio”