9XR/9XR pro faceplate mod

Hardware Support for the 9XR Pro
AndreL

9XR/9XR pro faceplate mod

Post by AndreL »

Hi guys - I am grateful for the tremendous effort that all of you have provided to this site, definitely made my radio a-lot more enjoyable. I have read some posts recently on gimbal upgrade and the one upgrade to taranis particularly caught my interest. I reviewed some youtube vids on the matter, but was not successful in determining the stick throw and original faceplate modification of hole enlargement. I have not received my gimbals yet but the issue bothered me a bit. After sanding my plate a bit of the 9xr i have noticed that great care has to be taken not to crack the plastic s it is somewhat brittle. Determined to do one better i sat down in front of my cad and learned some new skills. This is 2mm pla to replace the original unit, it is 95 percent fit complete except for the final 5 that has to be done by fingers.
Attachments
plate.jpg

AndreL

Re: 9XR/9XR pro faceplate mod

Post by AndreL »

the fit of this was a bit tiring - but i knew that my old 9xr would come through
plate2.jpg
AndreL

Post by AndreL »

As i said, the final fit is done with your fingers and a heat gun. Since this is only 2mm thick it is very easy to mould. To make it fit and follow the total contour of the face the upper corners have to be slightly lowered (my lofting was slightly off and it was too much work to correct it about .5 mm) and if you wish to gain the stick clearance then you have to heat and form the upper of stick opening hole. Hence when finished it looks oval in the picture on the radio because it has been formed to flow downward. I am waiting for some carbon fiber vinyl car wrap to cover the plate, it is fairly inexpensive and should improve the appearance. As for the plate - it is no frills flat for ease of covering and i left out the large power switch assembly for the original inset provided. It is inset enough so it will not be easily tripped and at the same time it is usable. If you are interested in this application then i can post the stl files. I have yet to print my final plate where the switch holes are smaller to make for better fit in addition to other fine detail alignments. Unfortunately my printers hot end failed so maybee this week as parts come in i should be able to finalize.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Cool :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
bob195558

Re: 9XR/9XR pro faceplate mod (3D RC Printing)

Post by bob195558 »

Hi AndreL,
Good to see your post of 3D Printed RC Parts !!! :D
There is not yet a category for where to post "3D Printed RC Parts and Projects"
so for now, I am posting under the "Other Electronic Projects" category.
If you would like to see some of my 3D Printing Projects,
see here: (http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic ... 85&t=10815)
and (http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic ... 85&t=10702).
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).

Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

I've been considering doing something very similar to remove the need for the restrictor on the taranis gimbals but you've beat me to it!

Be interesting to have a look over the source files though, just to see how you've done it :)
Leigh

Current Kit:-
Taranis X9D plus running ErSkyTx - main radio.
Turnigy 9XR-Pro with internal FrSky DHT Module - used on the simulator.
Retired radios:-
Turnigy i10 with FlySky receivers.
Turnigy I6 - My first Tx now just used on Quads.
AndreL

Post by AndreL »

ok - I have finally rebuilt my printer, Installed the Taranis gimbals, realigned the final plate measurements for best fit and as luck would have it, vinyl covering came in. So I had a crack at that job, seems a bit harder than what youtube states but it is doable if you can live with few creases. Anyway here is the final result
new face covered.jpg
face covered flaw.jpg
for some of you with perfection in mind, as you can see the plate is about 2mm short on the sides, one day if I have some time to spare maybe i will rebuild it to compensate for the gap but this is the best for now.
Let me say that the taranis upgrade really do improve this radio's quality of performance. After watching some vids on how its done, i ordered a set and went to work as soon as they came in. All the videos i have seen people undercut the mount of the gimbal to make it flush with the original faceplate. This works but it rcesses the gimbal in too far if you wish to have top stick swing rate. Therefor I removed enough material on the gimbal mount to place the top surface of the gimbal flush with the radio case hence pushing the whole assembly up close to an 1/4 inch. As you can see in the pic above the gimbals outer rim is flush with the top of the plate - looks better in my opinion and has more throw clearance. If you should want to use the original plate from that moment then a slightly different grind mod is required.
face mod.jpg
face mod2.jpg
as you can see the rim that slips in to center the gimbal is removed to almost flush with the back surface. The fit of course is dependent on the individuals grind skill but it can be accomplished to fulfill the requirement.
This is the unit with the original plate fit (my somewhat less than black tint), and the gimbal positioning in the radio.
original plate mod.jpg
taranis gimbal install.jpg
Ok - finally what some of you might find useful - the stl print file for the plate
OOOps - the file attachment does not like the stl extension - any ideas on how to place this here? my apologies.
AndreL

Post by AndreL »

try this - all i did is change the extension to jpg - rename the extension to .stl and see if it woks for you.
To see if it does and you do not have cura or slicing product at home then drop freecad and open it with that. It is a cool cad program for home use and the best part its free.
well that didn't work either - sorry
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Just zip the file and post it :) easy ;) :D
João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
AndreL

Post by AndreL »

thanx jhsa. here you go -
deck2 - 2mm printfinal adjusted.zip
(556.13 KiB) Downloaded 367 times
OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

Hi, did you use the 3d or 4d carbon fiber vinyl sticker? thx
2x - Turnigy 9X with 9xtreme board;
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Frsky Taranis & Taranis +;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
Radiomaster TX16S Max mark II.
AndreL

Post by AndreL »

just the 3d - right over the print - just to prove the concept hence you can see some of the 3d print roughness coming through the vinyl application, but it still turned out not half bad. I printed it out of a-pla plastic and I use 3mm filament with 0.5mm nozzle yelding not the smoothest finish. The next one i plan to sand smooth and spray prime it for better adhesion purposes. On the finished surface i will attempt the 4d vinyl as it should vastly improve on the look. Another option was swirl paint and clear finish. At this point it's your choice of customization.
AndreL

Post by AndreL »

if you print 1 there are few things to to consider - first cut the center 2 bottom standoffs to your preference fit and the second is heat mold once in position.
new face covered heat mold.jpg
I heat these areas one at a time from the back side until the plastic becomes soft and i install the plate back on the radio to form it. Finger run will suffice as the surface is not that hot. Don't overdo it or the opening becomes too oval. Thats it - have fun.
OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

I thing you made the right choice, as the 4d would get too shiny. Thx for the info. I will do that. Do you mind adding you file to thingiverse?
2x - Turnigy 9X with 9xtreme board;
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Frsky Taranis & Taranis +;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
Radiomaster TX16S Max mark II.
AndreL

Post by AndreL »

yes - thingiverse - that is next on my list
AndreL

Post by AndreL »

I modified this 1 to unload some tension on the sharp corners for vinyl application purposes. I have observed that it tends to lift on sharp corners and sometimes needs to be persuaded back down.
deck2 - 2mm printfinal adjusted1.zip
(635.56 KiB) Downloaded 319 times

Return to “Turnigy 9XR PRO radio”