Keep breaking XJT modules

Hardware Support for the 9XR Pro
EdwardMcRichy

Post by EdwardMcRichy »

Hey guys, before I go shell out $104 on a QX 7, thought I would try to see what if anything can be done. I have been using the Frsky XJT module in my radio now for almost two years, in that time I've gone through two modules, for some reason they keep breaking. This time the module is contantly beeping indicating an antenna problem. Before it started beeping I had problems connecting to my x4rsb then it finally started beeping and wouldn't connect with the quad. I replaced the antenna and it still beeps and sometimes will connect with the receiver. I really don't want to purchase another module if in 6 months to a year it's going to break again. I'm wondering if the radio is doing this to the modules or if I just have bad luck and only get broken modules when I order them.

I only use stock antenna, never power on without an antenna and sometimes the module won't power on until I tap it. If I buy another module I would have spent $36x3, $108. A new QX7 is 104 and there is less chance of it going bad, in my opinion.

Need help before i go and spend the money on a new radio but I don't want to keep buying more modules.
When I'm not flying I'm dreaming of flying, when I'm not dreaming of flying.....I'm asleep

jhsa

Re: Keep breaking XJT modules

Post by jhsa »

If you have to tap your module so it works, it means there is a bad connection problem between the radio and the module. Some 9XR-PRO have shorter pins in the module bay. Other people had the same problem.. Some managed to push the pins a bit further using a soldering iron..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

Thanks, João

that reminded me to check my radio also (new and not flown up to now), and the contacts extended only about 2 mm.
I resolderd them and pushed them out about 2.5mm more.

Reinhard
rsilk49

Post by rsilk49 »

I noticed that there is a slight movement of the module when clipped in the back of the radio, so I secured it with 2 pieces of electrical tape on either side of the module. I don't know if that will help, but I have never had a single problem.
S500 + Pixhawk 1 clone + Mauch PM + C&T Telemetry adapter + 9XR-Pro (Taranis gimbals)/XJT/X8R
EdwardMcRichy

Post by EdwardMcRichy »

I also put electrical tape around the module, however this is the least of my problems. XJT modules keep breaking and don't know why. At the risk of this happening again I just bought a QX7. I'll run Ersky9xr on it but just don't want to keep buying a new module every year.
When I'm not flying I'm dreaming of flying, when I'm not dreaming of flying.....I'm asleep

Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Plugging or unplugging the module with power on can destroy it. So if your module is rattling around and breaking contact occasionally, I would assume that that’s the cause of your module failures.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

As I said the module pins on some 9XR-PRO radios are TOO SHORT. Wrapping the module in electric tape won't make it any better.. :( The fix is probably try to push the pins further out, or replace them with longer ones..

Inserting or removing the module with the radio powered ON can also damage the radio. It already happened a few times..

João

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
EdwardMcRichy

Post by EdwardMcRichy »

Thanks everyone for your input. I've never removed the module with the radio powered on however I do understand that with the module being loose and turning it's self off and on can cause problems with the module and with that being said maybe that is the problem.

I'll also look into pushing the pins out more from the circuit board to see if that helps as Joao states.
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

This is, what it looked like on my radio.
The picture is a bit misleading as the pins extended 2 mm in reality

Reinhard
Module_bay.JPG
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Reinhard, does your radio really have that piece of plastic surrounding the pins? Mine doesn't, please check picture. That would prevent a DJT from being inserted in the module bay :o

João

EDIT; I failed to see that you have a module case inside the module bay :) Sorry ;)

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

jhsa wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:38 pm
EDIT; I failed to see that you have a module case inside the module bay
My bad, forgot to mention it.

Reinhard

Return to “Turnigy 9XR PRO radio”