Banggood 4in1 module, Flysky AFHDS2A and Telemetry

Hardware Support for the 9XR Pro
Sterling101

Re: Banggood 4in1 module, Flysky AFHDS2A and Telemetry

Post by Sterling101 »

Quick update...

After setting the value at +780 I was able to get three good links in a row before a bad link came up. I then did a sweep up to 1024 and on the way back down past around 650 it settled down and maintained a good link.
If I went back up to the top it would drop out again but I could restore the link by dropping back to around 650.

So I left the value at 650 and did the test again (Rx on, check link, Rx off) and managed 8 cycles before the link was bad. Same thing to restore the link as before.
I adjusted the value to more 700 and tried again and managed 9 cycles this time before I got a bad link up.

So, this time I went down to -1024 and worked back up towards 0. I got to around -800 or so and the link stabilised again.

In short I think the problem is still there, but it's a little easier to restore the link whilst watching the telemetry. I may try and get a look in the debug screen while I restore the link on the next failure. Will do a few more cycles and see what I can find...
Leigh

Current Kit:-
Taranis X9D plus running ErSkyTx - main radio.
Turnigy 9XR-Pro with internal FrSky DHT Module - used on the simulator.
Retired radios:-
Turnigy i10 with FlySky receivers.
Turnigy I6 - My first Tx now just used on Quads.

planger

Post by planger »

Ok so from what I understand 650 is the upper value and -800 is the lower value. Above or below it becomes choppy or disconnect. Then the middle value is (650-800)/2=-75. Try to set the value to -75, then rebind your RX and test to see If you can reproduce the issue (I'm thinking you'll be able to)...

Have you tried in any of your tests different values of RX_Num? I'm interrested if you are able to reproduce the issue using a different value.

Stupid question for my personal knowledge: where do you see the channel value being displayed with numbers like 1024, 650, -1024,...

Pascal
Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

planger wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:50 am Ok so from what I understand 650 is the upper value and -800 is the lower value. Above or below it becomes choppy or disconnect. Then the middle value is (650-800)/2=-75. Try to set the value to -75, then rebind your RX and test to see If you can reproduce the issue (I'm thinking you'll be able to)...

Have you tried in any of your tests different values of RX_Num? I'm interrested if you are able to reproduce the issue using a different value.

Stupid question for my personal knowledge: where do you see the channel value being displayed with numbers like 1024, 650, -1024,...

Pascal
I'll try the different settings tonight and report back.
I've set up a scaled to just display the value of P3 that I'm using to adjust the frequency so I can display that on the telemetry screen. Figured it would be handy to know the exact value :)
Leigh

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Yeah, scalers are great.. :)

João

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

New (test) versions of ersky9x will have the option byte with the 0x80 bit always set when in AFHDS2A protocol.
Getting er9x to handle AFHDS2A could take a while. The M64 won't be able to handle it, and I have to handle the telemetrEZ board that already sends extra serial data. Also, the telemetrEZ doesn't handle 100kbaud.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

planger

Post by planger »

Hi Mike, Don't get me wrong... I'm not saying that er9x must support AFHDS2A full telemetry frames. I'm only saying that I would like to keep both "options" so if someone has a radio which doesn't know how to decode full frames but instead a radio with a frsky decoder then they will have at least basic telemetry. I was giving er9x as an example and I'm pretty sure basic telemetry through FrSky is enough for most people anyway.
Thanks for updating the option on ersky9x, I'm sure it will be easier for everyone.

Pascal
Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

Well, tested binding with the frequency adjusted to -75 and more often that not it doesn't give a good link up at all.
In fact I seem to be struggling even more than before after re-binding.

I tried changing the Rx_Num but that doesn't seem to make a difference at all.

I have tried a test where I set the frequency to -75 and bound the receiver which it did well but I had a bad link straight away. I cycled the power to the Rx (and removed the bind plug) and still had a poor link. I then shifted the frequency up to 600 then down to -800 and suddenly the link stabilised and telemetry came through.
So I tried to bind at -800 and it wouldn't work so I slowly increased the frequency until the bind completed. This stopped at -471 and bound with full link up and telemetry.
I then did the Rx on/off test process and managed 5 good links until I hit a failure again.

I'm leaning towards this being a problem with the module and the A7105 portion more specifically. Hopefully the replacement won't be long before it arrives and I can try a new set of tests.
Leigh

Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

Well, the new IRX4+ module has arrived and has been upgraded to the latest version of Multi (1.2.12) and a quick test just in the same room.

I did the same system as before where I power the Rx up, wait for stable link and servo movement then power down, wait for telemetry lost signal then repeat the cycle again.

A couple of times it took a few seconds to stabilise the telemetry but after that it seemed to stabilise fine.
This was all looking very hopeful right until the 9th power up when it couldn't get a solid link and the signal to the servo was very erratic. Usual things fixed it and it carried on for a few more times getting good link ups on power up.
Out of 15 cycles I had two that were slow to stabilise and one that wouldn't stabilise at all.

So it seems the new module hasn't fixed anything but at least that's ruled out now as even if the RF module wasn't great on the iRange modules it should still be ok at these short ranges of up to 2 metres.

Now this is maybe completely impossible but I might see if I can work out exactly how the code AFHDS2A works as if I can get it to check after a second or so after connection and if it hasn't got a good link up it re-tries it would probably get around the issue but I'll need to do some more learning of the code I think for that...
Leigh

Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

Still trying to work things out on this. Mike, is there a way without changing the coding that I can access the raw telemetry stream coming in from the receiver in real time at all?
I would like to be able to see the Rx Noise, SNR and Error rate as the problems are coming through to see if I can get any information based on those.
Is this something that could be done via script accessing the registers directly at all?
I know the registers are stored at the following points :-
Rx Error rate = 0xfe
Rx Noise = 0xfb
Rx SNR = 0xfa

Just think it might be useful to see if there is anything obvious from those points when it starts going wrong which is still more often than not.

I did a plain CSV log of a test and the first power up was slow to react but did get there, the others seem to get link nice and quickly and it remains stable but the last one from 1:20 onward in the log couldn't maintain a stable link at all.
I then flipped the option from PWM_IBUS to PWM_SBUS but still had bad link. As soon as I flipped to PPM_IBUS it stabilised and remained ok when I re-selected PWM_IBUS.
I then stopped the logging and tried again for another power cycle. Still initial bad link that didn't stabilise itself and had to do the same as before with the sub protocol to stabilise it.
So it seems the problem wasn't the original module, this new one is running the latest firmware from Pascal's repository (1.2.12) and I'm on v221g2 of ersky9x from the test thread. I have even re-flashed both module and Tx today to rule those out too from fresh compiles/downloads.

I'm more than confused with this and pretty much ready to throw in the towel with the whole idea and switch to genuine FrSky module and receivers but if I can get some input it would be great before I bin the whole system.
Attachments
Flysky_Tst-2018-01-21-221423.zip
(2.25 KiB) Downloaded 376 times
Leigh

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'll get those three values stored in Cus1, Cus2 and Cus3 in the next test version, probably tomorrow.
I've got a problem with adding more attachments (or deleting any) in the first post on the test versions thread, so new test versions are currently on the fifth post of the thread.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

Thanks Mike I'll keep an eye out for it.

Incidentally I just did a test with the receiver on bad link up I walked downstairs and to the other side of the house and at the farthest point it stabilised and gave great RSSI/TSSI.
May be coincidence but will test more tomorrow...
Leigh

planger

Post by planger »

Leigh,

Is the only way to see a bad link is through RSSI/TSSI?
I would like to see if you could disable the telemetry in Multi _config.h file (and therefore loose the RSSI/TSSI information) to see if it helps.

Pascal
Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

planger wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:55 pm Leigh,

Is the only way to see a bad link is through RSSI/TSSI?
I would like to see if you could disable the telemetry in Multi _config.h file (and therefore loose the RSSI/TSSI information) to see if it helps.

Pascal
Thanks Pascal,

I'll give that a try now and do some more testing.
Leigh

Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

OK, test with telemetry disabled in the module seems to give the same results.

First power on was a two second delay before smooth servo movement was apparent. Second power up was good, as was the third.
The fourth is showing the servo jumping around so a bad link has been established but it's not improving at all over time. I have had the test rig running for around 5 minutes on this cycle and it hasn't stabilised at all in that time.

If I move the transmitter around (currently around 3 metres from the receiver) I can get the servo to jump very erratically like it's losing link completely for a few frames. So I have just switched through the sub protocols and it has stabilised fine again.

So the problem doesn't appear to be related to the telemetry stream.

Is there any way that the receiver and module could start out of sync when the receiver is powered up at all? Almost as if it's hopping along the channel next to the one the transmitter has moved to? Maybe when I change the sub protocol it forces a re-sync to happen which is why it smooths out and gets a good link when the change takes place?

Just a thought in case it's something to do with that...
Leigh

planger

Post by planger »

Could you try with the attached file instead?
Telemetry still disabled.

Pascal
Last edited by planger on Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

I've recompiled and uploaded and the first power up was a bad link.
Second, third and fourth were fine but the fifth is a bad link again and isn't stabilising.

Tried the sub protocol change again and switching to PPM_IBUS I lose servo movement completely as I'd expect, then if I switch to PWM_SBUS it doesn't re-connect at all with the servo it seems but when I switch back to PWM_IBUS it reconnects and smooths out fine again as if it's re-synchronised the link.
Leigh

planger

Post by planger »

Can you also disable failsafe in _config.h ?

Pascal
Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

Just tried with failsafe disabled and first four power cycles were a bad link with the servo movement being rough.
Fifth cycle was a good link and stayed smooth no problem at all.
Leigh

planger

Post by planger »

Can you try the attached version?
This is the bear minimum to get the protocol going...
Attachments
AFHDS2A_a7105.zip
(3.52 KiB) Downloaded 314 times
Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

Still the same unfortunately. First link was good, second and third bad.

Reset the third by swapping sub protocol again.
Leigh

planger

Post by planger »

Then I don't know what to do else. Like I said the protocol is really at the bear minimum with just the TX sending a packet every 3850µs.

I think you already did it but can you try different RX_Num numbers? (you need to rebind the RX for each different RX_Num). The goal of this test is to generate different hopping channel sequences.
You could also test to force your global id to something else in _config.h (you need to rebind as well each time you try a different one).

Pascal
Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

I'll try a test on a different RX_Num now just to confirm but I think I did already try it.

How does the link actually establish when the receiver is powered up?
Is the module always sending a packet out and when the receiver is powered up it communicates with the packet that's been received and establishes the link at that point?

I'll try forcing the global ID to something else too, just to see if that will change things.
Leigh

Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

OK, so I tried a different RX_Num and re-bound the receiver and had the same link problem within 3 power cycles.

I altered the Global ID in _config.h and without re-binding I've had enough good links without fail to lose count. It seems a little odd that with the line set to #define FORCE_GLOBAL_ID 0x13285671 I shouldn't need to re-bind but it seems to be the case?

I'll do some more testing to see if that has actually resolved the issue but it's got potential so far!
Leigh

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

If you change the global ID you need to rebind. That is the ID the receiver stores when you bind it to the module. If you change it, the receiver is not bound anymore :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

jhsa wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:26 pm If you change the global ID you need to rebind. That is the ID the receiver stores when you bind it to the module. If you change it, the receiver is not bound anymore :)

João
That's what I thought - seems strange it still links up???

I'll re-bind anyway and re-test...
Leigh

planger

Post by planger »

Sterling101 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:27 pmHow does the link actually establish when the receiver is powered up?
Is the module always sending a packet out and when the receiver is powered up it communicates with the packet that's been received and establishes the link at that point?
With the latest code, you have a one way conversation only from TX to RX (nothing coming back from the RX).
Like for most protocols, the TX sends packets at a regular schedule using a sequence of RF channels which are known by both the TX and RX (for afhds2a the TX sends the RF channels it will use to the RX at bind time).
The sync is done on the RX side only. It is supposed to find the TX (received a packet with a matching global ID) on one of the RF channels and from there follow the RF sequence at the same regular schedule than the TX. Normally they should find each other all the time.
So basically a bad link would be:
  • Bad RF channels sequence -> but like I said it's exchanged at bind time so it's not something changing over time so I can't think of anything, RF channels are made uniq and spaced (at least 2 in between consecutive channels) so the RX can't believe he is in sync but at the wrong place in the sequence.
  • Bad regular schedule -> it would be strange that sometime the schedule is correct and not others...
What you do when you switch the sub_protocol (ibus, sbus, ppm, pwm) is that you reboot the protocol. Rebooting the protocol stops the TX to send packets which forces the RX to decide that the link has been lost and to launch a research.

Pascal
planger

Post by planger »

Sterling101 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:29 pm That's what I thought - seems strange it still links up???

I'll re-bind anyway and re-test...
Really? Are you sure you are forcing the global ID? That sounds really strange but worse investigating further.
Can you answer this question: after changing RX_Num, does your RX still establish a connection?

Pascal
Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

OK, so it was me - I hadn't uploaded the new firmware to the module with the reset global ID!
However, I did the update and did a test again after re-binding.

I got to 24 cycles before a bad link cropped up so I kept going and got another 100 cycles that were clean with a good link up.
So then I re-flashed the normal firmware to the module, with everything working and no custom global ID and managed 5 attempts before a bad link.

I'm going to try enabling all the bits we've dropped out now but leave the custom global ID in place and test again to see what difference that makes.

Pascal, do you mean when I have the connection live and stable if I change the RX_Num to a different one does it still stay connected?
Leigh

planger

Post by planger »

Sterling101 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:45 pmPascal, do you mean when I have the connection live and stable if I change the RX_Num to a different one does it still stay connected?
Forget it was to demonstrate that you were not forcing the global ID because what RX_Num is doing in the background is to change slightly the global ID.
Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

Ah, well I tried anyway and changing the RX_Num did disconnect the receiver as expected and the link restored when I switched it back again.

I have restored all the changes though and left the new global ID configured and after 50 cycles it seems to be fine.

I stopped at 50 as my hands are now starting to hurt from the constant plugging and unplugging of the XT60 connector.
I'll see if I can rig a switch up to make things easier and do another 100 cycle test soon to confirm things are working better.

Could it be that because I only made a numeric value for the Global ID the receiver is happier to talk back to the module? Perhaps the default generated ID's were too high a value for it to handle correctly?
I suppose it's difficult to tell without knowing exactly what the generated ID actually was on both this module and my old one...
Leigh

Return to “Turnigy 9XR PRO radio”