Banggood 4in1 module, Flysky AFHDS2A and Telemetry

Hardware Support for the 9XR Pro
MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Banggood 4in1 module, Flysky AFHDS2A and Telemetry

Post by MikeB »

To give me a comparison, please create a log file when the telemetry is working OK.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

MikeB wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:55 am To give me a comparison, please create a log file when the telemetry is working OK.

Mike.
Here's one I just took. Same process though - Power on Tx, start raw logging, power up Rx and allow log to build. Power off Rx then stopped log.

Would you be able to give me some pointers on how to read the raw log at all? I've opened it in my hex editor but other than a few patterns that are visible I don't know exactly what I'm looking at in the stream.
Would be handy for my own reference so I know what is coming through on the stream so could give a bit more info if required.
Fixed_Wing-2017-12-24-100215.zip
(1.17 KiB) Downloaded 272 times
Leigh

Current Kit:-
Taranis X9D plus running ErSkyTx - main radio.
Turnigy 9XR-Pro with internal FrSky DHT Module - used on the simulator.
Retired radios:-
Turnigy i10 with FlySky receivers.
Turnigy I6 - My first Tx now just used on Quads.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

You will see some Multi status frames:
4D 05 27 01 02 00 00
The 4D is 'M' to mark the start.
The 05 is a count of following data bytes.
The 27 are flags.
The 01 02 00 00 is the Multi firmware revision.

You will also see "frames" beginning AA. These are the AFHDS2A data and are 30 bytes long.
The first byte after the AA is the Transmitter RSSI.
The remaining 28 bytes are 7 sets of 4 bytes.
The first byte of 4 is an ID, the second byte is ignored (don't know what that is), the 3rd and 4h bytes are the data for that ID, least significant byte first.
IDs I handle are:
0 - Rx voltage
1 - Temperature
2 - RPM
3 - External voltage
FC - RSSI

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

Thanks Mike that's great.
I'll see if I can make head of tail of the logs then and maybe be able to help.out with the diagnosis easier.
Leigh

Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

OK, so after a few days away due to the usual Xmas fun and 3D printing a new plane I've got back onto things.

Looking at the logs, when the system is working fine it does it's startup then after the initial AA frame entry there seems to be quite a lot of FF filling in the data frames.
This doesn't seem to be apparent with the one where it struggles to maintain connection.
Might be unrelated but it's about the only difference I can see by comparing the streams from both logs.

What I have noticed though is when the link is struggling to hold telemetry the servo's I have connected become quite notchy when you try and move them. It's as if the transmitter portion of the module doesn't quite get going properly so rather than it being a problem receiving telemetry it's actually doing it right and the problem is actually a link issue from the module to the receiver.

Doing some basic on-off tests this morning I found it completely random as to whether the link is good or not. I did 10 tests. Power to the Tx wasn't touched at all but the Rx was powered up, allowed the telemetry to stabilise and checked for one minute.
When the link is good, the TSSI comes up to around 240 almost immediately then about a second later the RSSI and RxV come through as well.
When the link is bad, the TSSI starts at 0 and it takes a good 20 seconds to get anything through. TSSI then will jump between around 75 and 95 and RSSI normally below 45. RxV telemetry will sometimes be stable but occasionally all telemetry drops and then resets all values to 0 and will then restart the process of low TSSI/RSSI.

Normally after a bad link I can unplug the RX, wait for the Tx to tell me there's no telemetry, plug it back in and immediately I get good link up.
I have had it during these tests that every few times I get a good link, but mostly a bad one but a few attempts at powering up it will give me a solid link which holds fine and is very stable.
However, it's not all the time and at least half the time I get a bad link.

I'm hoping it's not a module problem but I've tested two receivers (both IA6b's) with identical results. I'm certainly not at the point where I can trust things enough to put them in a plane anyway.
Hopefully I won't end up in the position where I need to migrate to a different module/receiver setup but if I can't get things stable it may be my only choice...
Leigh

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

When the link is not working well, there are many fewer telemetry packets arriving. The status packet (starting with 'M', 0x4D), is sent at regular intervals. You can see many more of these compared to the telemetry packets.
A packet with FFs in it simply has no telemetry data to send at that point.

I've pointed the thread on RCG to your post above. It looks to be either a module problem, or a firmware problem in the module.
Without any AFHDS2A receivers I can't do much to investigate.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

MikeB wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:01 am When the link is not working well, there are many fewer telemetry packets arriving. The status packet (starting with 'M', 0x4D), is sent at regular intervals. You can see many more of these compared to the telemetry packets.
A packet with FFs in it simply has no telemetry data to send at that point.

I've pointed the thread on RCG to your post above. It looks to be either a module problem, or a firmware problem in the module.
Without any AFHDS2A receivers I can't do much to investigate.

Mike.
Thanks for that Mike, If it would help at all I can send a receiver down to you as I have a few spares here.
Kind of hoping it's a firmware thing and can be corrected as the speed of post from China to get a new module these days is a little sluggish you might say let alone the quality of customer service!
Leigh

Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

OK so I've been trying to decipher the raw log with a little success.

Reason being is it now seems to want to play around with the RxV and it is flipping between the actual voltage (Ext.V if I plug that sensor in) and something around 600 but it flips so quick I can't make anything more out.
I've looked at the log file and I can work out what I've labelled below from one of the telemetry frames...

AAF8 TSSI
0000 F301 Rxv
FE00 0100 ?
FC00 3C00 RSSI
FB00 6400 ?
FA00 2800 ?
0001 9704 Ext. RxV
FFFF FFFF ?

I can't seem to work out what the other entries are as their ID's don't seem to relate the table posted by Mike.
MikeB wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:49 am The first byte after the AA is the Transmitter RSSI.
The remaining 28 bytes are 7 sets of 4 bytes.
The first byte of 4 is an ID, the second byte is ignored (don't know what that is), the 3rd and 4h bytes are the data for that ID, least significant byte first.
IDs I handle are:
0 - Rx voltage
1 - Temperature
2 - RPM
3 - External voltage
FC - RSSI

Mike.
I have noticed now though that before Temp1 on a CSV log was at 0 and now it's at -252. May be related, not sure.

I've attached the raw log below which was taken while the RxV display was having it's fit and triggering the low battery warning I have set in place at 10.5v for the 3S battery I'm testing with.
Fixed_Wing-2017-12-27-161704.zip
(812 Bytes) Downloaded 252 times
Leigh

Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

So, being as I'm up at stupid o'clock this morning (other half had work) I decided to do a bit more work on the link issues.

I've figured out the telemetry stream items thanks to dissecting the code from the multimodule so I now have more of an understanding on that front.

The stream seems to come in as follows...

AAF8 TSSI
0000 F301 RxV
FE00 0100 Rx Error Rate
FC00 3C00 RSSI
FB00 6400 Rx Noise
FA00 2800 Rx SNR
0001 9704 Ext. RxV
FFFF FFFF End of telemetry frame

So things now add up a little more for me and I can decipher things a little easier. I've noticed there's a header frame from the module every 8 frames but I can't see that causing any problems in the stream.

I decided to do a sync of the multimodule github and re-compile as the files related to the AFHDS2A portion had some updates so I knew the code on my end would be refreshed even if it was just a few line breaks that were changed.
Recompiled and uploaded to the module fine.
Re-bound the receiver after updating the module and initially the telemetry was unstable.
Cycled the power to the receiver and it seems to be holding steady now.

I'll do more testing through the day but maybe, just maybe the problem could have been the module firmware compile I did on the 20th.
I did notice one thing that I hadn't noticed before though. In the bind menu I'm sure I only had bind available as an option but now seem to have Bind, Chans 1-8 and Telemetry. I could scroll down those at first but now it seems I can only select bind.
Not sure if it's related or not though...
Leigh

Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

Update...

After the 8th power down and re-power of the Rx I had the bad link again.
However, as a test I went into the module menu and switched from PWM_IBUS to PWM_SBUS and the link instantly stabilised.

Is this a setting that is controlling the module setting or something internal to the Tx firmware that does the interpretation and feeds that up to the Rx?

After changing that I have had a run of every 4th attempt of 20 the link would drop but now it's gone back to being fine every time for 15 cycles. Will now try and re-flash the Tx to rule that out...
Leigh

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'll check the bind options (1-8 and telemetry), these should only be showing if the protocol is XJT!
The PWM_IBUS/PWM_SBUS options are just passed to the module, so it seems the module firmware may have a problem. Possibly some timing related to switching from transmit to receive is not quite right.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
planger

Post by planger »

Hey, looking into the issue.
First the problem with the afhds2a receivers is that they run different firmwares which makes it really difficult. (You can update the RX firmware from the orginal TX).
The weird thing I see reported is that it does work/not work by just turning on/off the RX a couple of times. This is weird because it looks to me more an issue around the RX synchronization...
It's even worse when you tell us that the parameter PWM_IBUS/PWM_SBUS changes something. It's only a 1 byte change in the payload... And it's not changing the timing at all by the way.
I'm wondering if what you are facing would be a bug in the RX firmware. Do you know which version you are running? Have you tried to update them?

Pascal
Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

planger wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:41 am Hey, looking into the issue.
First the problem with the afhds2a receivers is that they run different firmwares which makes it really difficult. (You can update the RX firmware from the orginal TX).
The weird thing I see reported is that it does work/not work by just turning on/off the RX a couple of times. This is weird because it looks to me more an issue around the RX synchronization...
It's even worse when you tell us that the parameter PWM_IBUS/PWM_SBUS changes something. It's only a 1 byte change in the payload... And it's not changing the timing at all by the way.
I'm wondering if what you are facing would be a bug in the RX firmware. Do you know which version you are running? Have you tried to update them?

Pascal
Hi Pascal,

I'll get one bound to my TGY i10 which allows upgrade if they're below the normal spec. These two receivers I'm using are both virgin ones that havens seen the i10 yet, one FS ia6b and the other a tgy ia6b.

Will see if I can get a version number from the Rx firmware but I know they're upgradable all the same.

Will post back soon...
Leigh

Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

MikeB wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:57 am I'll check the bind options (1-8 and telemetry), these should only be showing if the protocol is XJT!
The PWM_IBUS/PWM_SBUS options are just passed to the module, so it seems the module firmware may have a problem. Possibly some timing related to switching from transmit to receive is not quite right.

Mike.
Slightly new but strange thing I've found too.
I've had the internal module disabled in the protocol screen. But what seems to happen is when that's disabled it goes completely nuts with the random Ext RxV when the problem link shows up.
If, while it's screaming about the flight battery, I switch the internal module on as default (PPM) it stabilises and will normally reset the link to the Rx at the same time.

Might be related, might not but only seems to have been doing this over the past day or so of testing (when I started back up since before Xmas).
Leigh

Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

OK, according to my i10 there's no upgrade to the two receivers I'm using which means they're at least at firmware version 1.0.8 which is the same as the i10 transmitter.
I don't have a way to confirm exactly which firmware they are running though as the only reference I have is whether they will flag up an update on the transmitter when bound. If they're below 1.0.8 it will flag it, if not there's no way to do any other link diagnosis it seems.

I'm guessing somewhere out there there's a firmware update to the receivers but it seems to be very elusive and the only one I've found so far is a 1.0.6 image which may or may not be programmable with my USB->TTL adapter.

Will do some more searching on the firmware revisions...
Leigh

Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

Finally managed to get it to show some errors in the voltage telemetry long enough to see what the value is so I've got it on video.

This was with the internal module disabled with the receiver freshly bound with only the connection to the 4xAA battery pack.

https://youtu.be/dzZ-QISYhAY

And this was after switching the sub-protocol but you still get some RxV anomalies unless the internal module is enabled just not as often.

https://youtu.be/hMd9HBpbdKc

It's been sat in this state for a few minutes now and I've still had a couple of RxV warnings come up but if I switch the internal module back on (have just done this) it should stop that from happening completely.
Leigh

Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

Well after much searching it seems the firmware for the receivers is very very elusive and the only one I can find is 1.0.6 which is a few years out of date and requires a few more bits to get the update applied.

So, if this problem can't be solved with the AFHDS2A receivers I may consider switching my fleet to FrSky. But, I would ideally like a similar feature set so the ability to get lipo voltage and RSSI with 4 to 8 channels. Most of my planes use only 4 channels but I have some that use 6 and one that uses 8 (68" span Vulcan bomber).

So, does anyone have any suggestions as to what would be available that would fit those requirements and work ok with the MultiModule?
Leigh

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I can't think of a reason why enabling the internal module should have any effect on the external one.
I'm beginning to wonder if your module has a problem, or needs "tuning". When using the FrSky protocols, we generally need to adjust the frequency in the RF chip (in that case by using the option value), to get a good link. The value varies from module to module.
The AFHDS2A protocol uses the option value for something, in that you may set a "T-Rate" value. Have you tried different values for this?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

MikeB wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:53 pm I can't think of a reason why enabling the internal module should have any effect on the external one.
I'm beginning to wonder if your module has a problem, or needs "tuning". When using the FrSky protocols, we generally need to adjust the frequency in the RF chip (in that case by using the option value), to get a good link. The value varies from module to module.
The AFHDS2A protocol uses the option value for something, in that you may set a "T-Rate" value. Have you tried different values for this?

Mike.
What values should I be looking at do you think? I thought the T-Rate was the servo refresh rate but with telemetry. So there's more than that in those settings then it would seem.

I'll do some tests and see what difference it makes changing the T-Rate around. Got to be worth a try at least!
Leigh

Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

Quick update - I have been from T-rate 50 all the way to option 127 and I still get the same effects when the link to the Rx doesn't stabilise. Repairs the link by changing from PWM_IBUS to PWM_SBUS and back.

Still get the random RxV results if I switch off the internal module too.
Leigh

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I note that a RxV value of 652.8 corresponds to a raw telemetry value of 0xFF00.
A check you could do, particularly when you have the RxV value going random, or the link unstable, is to look at the "Dsm DIAG" screen (Up LONG, then right several times).
The first 3 values on the bottom row of numbers report counts of received serial errors. These should all be 0000, but it would be interesting to know if they are increasing.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

Link unstable test done. DSM diag literally had the top left value of 0003 and everything else at 0000. Same when the voltage is going all over the place.

However I have just noticed the bottom left figure in the debug screen has gone to FF04. I've tried a few things and it went back to 0000 after a reboot then at some point changed back to FF04. Not sure if this is relevant at all.

I had the low signal errors going and switched to PWM_SBUS which cleared it fine. I then went back to PWM_IBUS and the error was back straight away. Switched over to SBUS again and it's holding steady. Still errors like a charm about RxV though if I switch off the internal module even with the RSSI and the rest working fine.
Leigh

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Please confirm it is the bottom left figure on the DsmDiag screen that changed to FF04.

I'll see if I can do a special test version for you to try to pin down the RxV problem.

If you could generate a raw log file when the RxV value is going wrong, I could check to see if it is the received serial data, or something else causing the problem.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

MikeB wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:24 pm Please confirm it is the bottom left figure on the DsmDiag screen that changed to FF04.

I'll see if I can do a special test version for you to try to pin down the RxV problem.

If you could generate a raw log file when the RxV value is going wrong, I could check to see if it is the received serial data, or something else causing the problem.

Mike.
Hi Mike,

It's on the Debug screen that the bottom figure changed to FF04 not DsmDiag.

I've attached a raw log which I set going as soon as the receiver had connected with the PWM_SBUS option selected. At the start the link was poor but I had the internal module disabled to force the RxV errors. After a while I switched over to PWM_IBUS and the link stabilised as normal as far as the RSSI and signal quality goes. The last few seconds of the log was with good link but the RxV was doing it's bouncing around thing quite merrily.
Fixed_Wing-2017-12-30-143501.zip
(1.58 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
Leigh

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

OK, a bit of progress.
This is an example of a telemetry packet from your log file:
aa f5 00 00 f3 01 fe 00 01 00 fc 00 3c 00 fb 00 64 00 fa 00 28 00 00 01 90 04 ff ff ff ff
aa is the start.
f5 is the Tx RSSI.
Then we have up to 7, 4-byte values:
00 00 f3 01
fe 00 01 00
fc 00 3c 00
fb 00 64 00
fa 00 28 00
00 01 90 04
ff ff ff ff
I've been decoding these as:
Id, ignore, value low byte, value high byte.
Where an id of 0 is the RxV.
It now looks like the ID is a 2-byte value as the 6th item has a single ID byte of 0 (=RxV), but the byte currently being ignored would turn this into an ID of 0x0100. The value of 0490 converts to 1168 decimal, which could be 11.68 volts. Do you have a 3S lipo connected to the telemetry?
I'll change the ID processing to use 2-bytes. I could also use 0100 for external voltage (currently using 3 as the ID for that so I'll use both for now) if you have something at that voltage connected.

I can also see in your log file some packets that are missing the last byte, so are short (actually I only know it is one of the last 4 bytes that is missing as they are all ff).
This might be the module not sending it, or ersky9x missing it (so knowing the first 3 values on the BOTTOM line of the Dsm DIAG screen would help).

I'll build and post a "f9" test version with these changes in.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

MikeB wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:07 pm OK, a bit of progress.
This is an example of a telemetry packet from your log file:
aa f5 00 00 f3 01 fe 00 01 00 fc 00 3c 00 fb 00 64 00 fa 00 28 00 00 01 90 04 ff ff ff ff
aa is the start.
f5 is the Tx RSSI.
Then we have up to 7, 4-byte values:
00 00 f3 01
fe 00 01 00
fc 00 3c 00
fb 00 64 00
fa 00 28 00
00 01 90 04
ff ff ff ff
I've been decoding these as:
Id, ignore, value low byte, value high byte.
Where an id of 0 is the RxV.
It now looks like the ID is a 2-byte value as the 6th item has a single ID byte of 0 (=RxV), but the byte currently being ignored would turn this into an ID of 0x0100. The value of 0490 converts to 1168 decimal, which could be 11.68 volts. Do you have a 3S lipo connected to the telemetry?
I'll change the ID processing to use 2-bytes. I could also use 0100 for external voltage (currently using 3 as the ID for that so I'll use both for now) if you have something at that voltage connected.

I can also see in your log file some packets that are missing the last byte, so are short (actually I only know it is one of the last 4 bytes that is missing as they are all ff).
This might be the module not sending it, or ersky9x missing it (so knowing the first 3 values on the BOTTOM line of the Dsm DIAG screen would help).

I'll build and post a "f9" test version with these changes in.

Mike.
Hi Mike,

Yes the RxV should be about 11.6v as it's a 3S lipo I've got connected to the external lipo sensor.
I did wonder about the short packets but I don't know the raw files enough yet to really say for sure if it was just me misreading or not...
Leigh

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

It is possible I'm missing the odd byte. I did have a problem on STM processors with that happening, cured by adjusting interrupt priorities. I may have that happening on the Atmel processor. If I am missing a byte, then that should cause an overrun error, and that should appear on the Dsm Diag screen as a non-zero value on the bottom line.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

Doesn't seem to show anything in there. Unless it's just the way the AFHDS2A data stream comes though that it frames ok but the data is duff?
Leigh

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

If you could try the "F9" test version, and also look over on the RCG thread where I posted about a possible problem with the module code.
Please check to see if you have "SPORT_POLLING" enabled, and also comment out the line:
USART3_BASE->SR &= ~USART_SR_TXE;
in telemetry.ino I mention.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

MikeB wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:59 pm If you could try the "F9" test version, and also look over on the RCG thread where I posted about a possible problem with the module code.
Please check to see if you have "SPORT_POLLING" enabled, and also comment out the line:
USART3_BASE->SR &= ~USART_SR_TXE;
in telemetry.ino I mention.

Mike.
Thanks Mike.

Will update in the morning and test.
I made the changes to telemetry.ino and _config.h and rebuilt but it made no difference. I can still guarantee the voltage goes nuts with the internal module disabled.
It seems that the change on the debug screen comes up when the error triggers but it may be just coincidence as I've not been able to disable the internal module and get to the debug screen quick enough...
Leigh

Return to “Turnigy 9XR PRO radio”