binding problem

Hardware Support for the 9XR Pro
matthewaweber22

Re: binding problem

Post by matthewaweber22 »

I called Horizon hobby because they made the plane i am trying to bind to. I am troubleshooting the radio, the plane, the module, everything trying to verify everything is working and set up correctly. i did actually discover one of the aileron servos was bad when i took it to my hobby store. brand new, broken out of the box. Checked everything again iaw what you wrote above, all still set, except that i do not see a setting for full drive/ppm drive. orange light in module was always on. no joy. i really appreciate all your time and effort trying to help my issue. i gotta say you went above and beyond, just short of coming over and stomping my little foam plane into the ground and throwing the radio in the bbq and torching it while laughing hysterically in a psychotic rage before the men in the clean white coats come to take you away in a straight jacket because i drove you bonkers. I'm going to have to find a hobby club and get some hands on help i think. its got to be some stupid little thing easily overlooked by myself. you've done more than enough, i thank you sincerely and bid you good bye. may your 3d plane prop hang like an angels dream. thank you sir

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Why are you saying goodbye if your problem is still not solved? No one here is complaining :)
Helping others and seeing things start working is very rewarding for us around here, otherwise why would we bother offering help? ;)
It is also a bit of a challenge sometimes, as we don't have the equipment in front of us :)
So, please stay right there, we ain't finished with you yet :mrgreen:

Please search for the "PPM Drive" setting again. Please see the picture.Image

Sent from my thor using Tapatalk

My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Just a confirmation check, if you are not seeing the "PPM Drive" option, make sure you are setting the protocol for the EXTERNAL module.

Also, you say you updated to r221. This must be one of the "test" versions. Please confirm you flashed ersky9xr_rom.bin (note the 'r' after the 9x).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Daedalus66

binding problem

Post by Daedalus66 »

Please at least follow the steps I outlined in detail last night. Several of us have invested quite a bit of time in your problem and the only compensation is seeing a successful outcome.
If the module lights up you should be nearly there and the problem is likely in the bind procedure. Repeat the process, starting from scratch. The transmitter only goes into bind mode when you turn it on with the button pressed and held. Only release the button when the receiver stops flashing.
In any event, your plan to join a club is a good one.
Good luck.
matthewaweber22

rebooted with ersky9xr_rom.bin
ppm drive now a selection. full drive selected. still doesn't work.
dadeluss, sorry i did not say i redid all the steps again as you wrote but yes i did.
my main screen has this on it:
ExpTTm
V OFF

what is that?

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

"Exp" indicates you have the trim adjustment set to Exp(onential). This means as you hold a trim switch active, the trim movement moves faster the longer you hold the trim switch, You may wish to change this setting to Fne (Fine).
"Ttm" (Throttle Trim) indicates you have throttle trim enabled. This means the throttle trim only affects the lower end of the throttle movement. This is usually used with IC engines to set the idle throttle position. You may wish to turn this off.
"V" is part of the radio battery voltage display, indicating "Volts".
"OFF" indicates timer1 is OFF.

I'm slightly guessing here, but it may be it won't bind if the throttle is not at idle. You should have (I believe) the channel order in the mixer as TAER, so channel 1 is throttle, channel 2 is aileron, channel 3 is elevator and channel 4 is rudder. If you don't have this (the default is RETA if you haven't changed this), then the module/Rx may be seeing the wrong setting for the throttle.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
matthewaweber22

switched to TAER.
in hardware and EEPROM, says disabled (see help). is this a problem?
still no bind.
Daedalus66

binding problem

Post by Daedalus66 »

The meaning of the screen is explained in the ER9X manual, to which João and I have already referred you to several times.
Most of what you are fussing about has nothing to do with the fundamental issue of binding the receiver to the module.
Mike makes a good point about channel order, as having the throttle on the wrong channel could interfere with the initialization process, but you would expect to get warning messages.
You should calibrate the sticks. Go to Radio Setup, Calibrate, and follow the on-screen instructions. For more info, see page 21 of the ER9X manual. This will eliminate one more possible issue.
Hardware and EEPROM are disabled so people won't mess with them when they don't know what they are doing. Leave them alone for now.
Here is my suggestion. Go back to the hobby shop with your transmitter and ask to try binding with a regular Spektrum receiver (AR610, AR500 or just about anything, DSM2 or DSMX, that uses a bind plug). The guy there should know how to bind and only needs to know that the DM9 has a bind button on the back. This should demonstrate definitively whether the module is working.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

You might want to photograph the Protocol screen and post here for us to review.
matthewaweber22

fuss? sorry for trying to learn about the radio from the experts. i won't ask anymore questions so i don't irritate you. this is why i was saying goodbye but jhsa persuaded me to continue.

i have calibrated the radio many times, after most of the changes I've made.
i know the module works. it was given to me by my friend who used it as his main module.
Attachments
IMG_2905.JPG
IMG_2904.JPG
IMG_2906.JPG
Daedalus66

binding problem

Post by Daedalus66 »

Sorry about "fuss". Was only intended to mean keep your eye on the key issue, binding. You know the module WAS working, but you need to verify that it still is when plugged into the 9XR Pro. That's why I suggest taking your transmitter to someone who has a standard Spektrum receiver (bind plug type) and knows how to bind it. The aim in troubleshooting is to zero in on the issue by eliminating as many variables as possible. It's possible that either you are making a mistake in the bind procedure or that the latest Cub has a receiver that is incompatible with the DM9 (as is the case of the E-Flite SAFE receiver). This suggestion would address both those possible cases.
The screens you have posted look OK except that number of channels for the DM9 should be 9. This should not prevent anything working, but you might as well set it for the full number.
Calibration of the sticks and pots only needs to be done once unless a specific problem arises.
Keep trying!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

What do you want to shows us with the last picture you posted above? The one from the "Model Setup / General" menu.
I think you might be confusing the "Default Switch" setting with the "Channel Order" setting.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
matthewaweber22

i attempted to bind the radio to a Spektrum AR7010 receiver. it did not work. i watched a you tube video and did it exactly the way the guy did in the video.
jhsa

Re: RE: Re: binding problem

Post by jhsa »

jhsa wrote:What do you want to shows us with the last picture you posted above? The one from the "Model Setup / General" menu.
I think you might be confusing the "Default Switch" setting with the "Channel Order" setting.

João
Please answer this

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
matthewaweber22

i was just trying to provide you with more data. you guys keep coming up with new things to check, i figured i would try to show you as much as i could about how my radio is set up to help you help me. thats all.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

We can't see your radio, your model, and can't see what you are doing. We can only rely on the information you give us :)

Can you please post a picture of your model's mixes?

Thanks

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
matthewaweber22

screens
Attachments
main.JPG
general1.JPG
modes.JPG
controls.JPG
stat2.JPG
safetyswitches.JPG
limits1-7.JPG
mixer12-16.JPG
mixer6-11.JPG
mixer1-6.JPG
matthewaweber22

screens
Attachments
modelsel.JPG
version.JPG
general.JPG
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Hmmm, In limits you only changed the -100 to -80. You should also change the +100 to +80.

It seems you have a bit of a mess in the mixer. It looks like you still have the old throttle cut programming on channels 14 and up, and then you have a mix controlled by a logical switch on the Elevator channel.. It looks like all set for disaster ;) :)
You already programmed the sticky throttle cut in safety switches, so you don't need any of the others..

Any chance you can use eepskye to download the eeprom to the computer, and then post it here? Then we could have a better look at it..

Also, you say that you got the module from a friend and it was working. Well, did you see it working, or did your friend say that it was working? I'm asking because there is a big difference there. :)

Any chance you could plug the module to your friends radio and see if it works?

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Daedalus66

binding problem

Post by Daedalus66 »

I agree with João's points, but suggest that for now you make a new basic Model 2 with nothing but the default mixes (TAER on channels 1-4).
That will allow you to focus on the real issue and not get into a whole lot of other matters that are irrelevant until you get the module working. Plenty of time to explore them once you get the basics working.
From a main screen, long press Right, then Down to a blank model. Press Menu and choose Select. That's it. You should now have a nice simple model called Model 2 (or whatever slot you chose).
Go to Model Setup and look at the Mixer page. It will have just the first four channels. Exit.
Go to Protocol and set External, PPM, 400us, NEG, Full Drive.
Now test binding.
matthewaweber22

still no bind. ill try downloading the eprom later, i need to learn how to do that still. my friends module: he has used it many times. he lives in another state, mailed it to me. sorry.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I think you need to get that module tested in another radio somehow. At this point I don't think that the problem is the radio.
Do you have any other module you can test? DO you have a friend you could borrow another module from?

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Daedalus66

binding problem

Post by Daedalus66 »

Yes. At this point all the attention should be on verifying that your module works.
Radios you could use to test it include older module type JR such as 783 or 9330, Turnigy 9X, Taranis, or 9XR.
Or if you can find another DSM module (not necessarily of the same type) to plug into your radio it would allow you to check that the radio setup is basically OK. For example, an Orange module, but test with a Spektrum, Orange, etc receiver, not UMX model.
matthewaweber22

my local hobby store doesn't carry modules, looked at me like i was crazy. i bought a used spectrum dx5e for $40 from a used rc parts hobby store (didn't carry modules either, pretty much told me the tech was obsolete), got it to bind with my cub no problem. at this point, I'm pretty much done with turnigy and modules. way to complicated for a beginner. maybe sometime down the road when I'm ready for more advanced stuff. thanx for all your effort in trying to get me flying i really do appreciate it guys.
matthewaweber22

I'm pretty burnt out on this. i would like to send you the eeprom like JHSA asked, but I'm tired of rummaging through videos and manuals trying to find how to do it. can you provide SIMPLE instructions on how to do that?
Daedalus66

binding problem

Post by Daedalus66 »

Sorry to hear it didn't work out. I have sympathy with your difficulties trying to penetrate the open firmware world.
The 9XR Pro with ERSky9x is a wonderfully capable radio for a very low price, but frankly, if all you want to do is enjoy flying the Cub, a used DX5e will do the job with no fuss.
matthewaweber22

Im back, still with not happy news. Ok so i got the orange ORX module for the 9xr pro. When trying to bind, my little umx j3 bnf cub does all the beeping noises it normally makes when binding to my dx5e. prop jiggles, rudder jiggles, beep beep. still no control. red light inside cub turns solid. I've watched a video about binding with the orange rx module and the led on it i believe lite up green? mine lights up red, flashes red, goes solid red... oh yeah and this test is on my 2nd brand new cub from horizon hobby. instead of sending me a replacement aileron servo, they sent me another plane. so now i have 2 working j3 cubs. i believe this turning radio is a great radio with all the ability i will ever need for future expansion. I'm wondering if i got a bum radio from the factory. my cub came with a bad aileron servo, turnigy going to send me a new radio? i wish there was someone local i could take my radio too. my hobby stores here don't support turning. sad bummer.
Daedalus66

binding problem

Post by Daedalus66 »

The 9XR Pro is a great radio, but the problem you are having with the Orange module is standard. The module just doesn't work properly with the J3 or other UMX models. I suggest you go back to using the DX5e for the J3.
The module is OK with regular receivers, just not with the integrated ones used in UMX models.
Last edited by Daedalus66 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
matthewaweber22

i was under the impression the 9xr radios were built around the orange module. i figured i was safe getting that one. you'd think a company that builds radios to control remote control airplanes would be sure to tell you, "hey, our radio will control anything in the world, except highly popular UMX planes from the mammothly awesome horizon hobby RC company"., great, thanks turnigy. well, at least i know my dx5e will bind to anything so when i get an ARF plane and i can't get the 9x to bind, the dx5 will be there to rescue me. ill put this radio in the junk pile next to my fm crystal radio.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

It's not the radio.. It's the module that doesn't work with your J3 model..
The radio works with everything if you use it with a suitable module.. I have the multiprotocol module installed in most of my radios and I can control many models, including your J3 cub ;)
I believe your orange module needs to be flashed with the multiprotocol code.. :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:

Return to “Turnigy 9XR PRO radio”