ersky9x no RSSI range and no telemetry with MULTI on OrangeRX

Hardware Support for the 9XR Pro
timemaster

ersky9x no RSSI range and no telemetry with MULTI on OrangeRX

Post by timemaster »

Hi,

I am facing a problem with RSSI range check and telemetry transmission on my 9XR PRO with OrangeTX module flashed with MULTI protocol firmware.

This is my first setup and first project with this radio, so I have read a lot of threads. I have decided to install ersky9x on my 9xr pro because I have found it as the best fw ever, thanks to MikeB.. Than I have found perfect solution for my not so supported tx module, again thanks to MikeB - he pointed me a few weeks ago to use MULTI protocol fw through this bug-report https://github.com/opentx/opentx/issues/2393, where I was finding some answers, how to use this module with unofficial fw's..

So I have replied there that I have successfully flashed my orangetx module through Mikes integrated PDIflasher in ersky9x rom, without problem.. So I have latest version there.. 1.1.6.. OK now I am able to bind my orange R1220X receiver but I can't see RSSI range number - there is still zero :( and I can't read telemetry data on my 9xr pro - such as gps position,voltage or whatever.. It's somewhat strange, if I am right, communication between 9xr pro and orangetx module should be serial, telemetry should be passed the same way, so I can't see any space for problem in communication here, especially when I can drive my quad channels without any issue..

My hw is :
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/orangerx-2- ... tible.html
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/1220xlr-12- ... s-bus.html
Pixhawk
Turnigy 9XR PRO with ersky9xProvR221b8

Can anybody help me ?

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: ersky9x no RSSI range and no telemetry with MULTI on OrangeRX

Post by MikeB »

Have you tried setting the "Usr Proto" to DSMx? Also make sure the "Telem Com Port" is set to 1.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
timemaster

Post by timemaster »

Hi Mike, thanks for your message and your work, everything works perfect.. you're right. I have probably overlooked one thing - correct telemetry setting is needed to show RSSI range check under the bind option and telemetry selection to 'auto' wasn't sufficient in my case. Ok, I have value about 30 - it's probably ok, I hope.

So what about GPS data and altitude, is there any option how to get them over s.bus from pixhawk to orangerx or the only solution is to use bluetooth or some other external telemetry module? I found that your have been worked on software support for frsky telemetry without arduino converter.. what is the best option in my case ? I cannot find enough answers elsewhere for my setup.. looks like it's not so ordinary :(
Last edited by timemaster on Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I have no idea, I've never used pixhawk. I suspect the R1220X can't send any other telemetry data.
The RSSI does indeed go from 0 to 31. From memory, this value is actually the received signal strength at the Tx of the telemetry data from the Rx.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
timemaster

Post by timemaster »

Thanks.. I have the same opinion and I was afraid of that.. R1220X has some input ports for A-meter, RPM and two sat ports.. I guess I will be able to send some data over them but it would be everything :(

Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

What are you using by way of sensors? The receiver itself can at most provide RSSI and receiver voltage,
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

If you want to transmit additional information you need to connect sensors to the receiver's smart port. Other flight controllers can do so and act as sensor, not sure about pixhawk though.
timemaster

Post by timemaster »

I have no separate sensors, pixhawk flight controller has all of them.. I thought that s.bus is two way protocol, so I have decided to buy s.bus receiver.. but that was the mistake :) this receiver hasn't smart port ( or something like s.bus input :( ) it has only a a few ports for specific sensors..if I am right of course.. detailed photos are here: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/1220xlr-12- ... s-bus.html

Ok so what can I do now? I can't flash custom firmware or modify receiver, so should I buy another one ? I can't find any receiver with 'smart port' or sbus input and output on DSM protocol.. I would like to buy just one piece - not both rx and tx if is it possible..

Any suggestions ?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I think you need to go do some reading and find out what S.Port and SBUS are.
Receivers don't normally input SBUS. They OUTPUT SBUS.
That means they send the channel information over a serial signal, that some flight controllers can use. There are also adapters to convert SBUS to PWM, used by servos.
S.Port is a telemetry system form Frsky. It can be bidirectional, but I'm not sure if this is already implemented somewhere..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Sport telemetry is for Frsky Tx modules and receivers. I'm not aware of any support for SPort telemetry on DSM hardware.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
timemaster

Post by timemaster »

Ok, so first option is to buy frsky set..

I found another one - original spektrum modules, they can send similar telemetry data, here is some explanation: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... Y-sensors-!

So if we have support in ersky9x I should be able to get this detailed telemetry data on my radio, am I right ? if pixhawk can send it to receiver of course.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

If the pixhawk can send Spektrum telemetry, but I really doubt it does.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I may need to add a few sensors to ersky9x as I don't process all possible DSM telemetry messages, I only implemented those sent by the short range HK unit as those were all I could test (and can still test!).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
timemaster

Post by timemaster »

Kilrah wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:53 am If the pixhawk can send Spektrum telemetry, but I really doubt it does.
it should be fixed with something like this :https://blog.kkessler.com/2014/02/05/telemetry-bridge/
timemaster

Post by timemaster »

I may buy second kit to have working setup and then I will try to add code for getting data over spektrum module, it should work one day with some care..

Can anybody confirm me, will this combo work ? https://hobbyking.com/en_us/frsky-xjt-2 ... eiver.html there is no problem between pixhawk and X8R and looks like we have native support in ersky9x too..
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

ersky9x fully supports the XJT/X8R combo. If pixhawk provides SPort support then that should be OK as well.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
timemaster

Post by timemaster »

Thank you Mike, I'll keep you informed..
xrxpercy

Post by xrxpercy »

I too would like to flash the Orange TX Module to "Multi". I found some files on GitHub with the name Multiprotocol v1.1.6 . How do I use them to flash the module. My hardware is the same as Timemaster's , 9xrpro with Ersky9xr R219 firmware and the Orange module with Telemetry. It's working now but I get no TSSI and it doesn't update very often. It does show the RX voltage and my vbat pack voltage, but again doesn't update often. The R220 firmware was worse. The R218 worked also. If you get too close to the rx it will say "No Telemetry" but that stops when you move the TX further away. I think that's normal because the telemetry receiver gets "Swamped" when too close. I need a short list of steps to do the module flashing.
timemaster

Post by timemaster »

xrxpercy wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:02 pm I too would like to flash the Orange TX Module to "Multi". I found some files on GitHub with the name Multiprotocol v1.1.6 . How do I use them to flash the module. My hardware is the same as Timemaster's , 9xrpro with Ersky9xr R219 firmware and the Orange module with Telemetry. It's working now but I get no TSSI and it doesn't update very often. It does show the RX voltage and my vbat pack voltage, but again doesn't update often. The R220 firmware was worse. The R218 worked also. If you get too close to the rx it will say "No Telemetry" but that stops when you move the TX further away. I think that's normal because the telemetry receiver gets "Swamped" when too close. I need a short list of steps to do the module flashing.
Hi, the way is very simple, thanks to Mike..

just follow instructions here viewtopic.php?t=8753

1. you have to modify your Orange module to be able to connect programming pins from orange board to pins in your 9xr pro module bay - detailed instructions are in PDIFlashing.pdf
2. put Multi protocol FW to your radio micro sd card
3. turn on radio in flash mode and select desired firmware
4. flash fw to orange module

good luck!

Return to “Turnigy 9XR PRO radio”