binding problem

Hardware Support for the 9XR Pro
davids

binding problem

Post by davids »

Hi I am new to this RC word. I have recently bought a Turnigy 9xr pro with Irangaex 4in1 module. I loaded the latest frimware of Ersky9x version-220. my problem is that I am not able to bind the radio with my OrangeRx R920X V2 9Ch 2.4GHz DSM2/DSMX. In the radio i have setup to multi then dsm dsm2.
please help

davids

Re: binding problem

Post by davids »

My setup with in the model setup in the protocol:
disable the internal module
selected external module
setup proto to Multi
setup protocol to DSM
setup Type to DSMX-11
Setup Autobind to Y
Yet I am unable to bind with my OrangeRx 920x v2 DSM2/DSMX reciver.
Attached please find a youtube video in which I am showing whst I have done.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX6RcgZB9Ow
Help is needed
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

What value do you have for "Option"? It needs to be 4 for 4 channels up to 12 for 12 channels.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
davids

Post by davids »

MikeB wrote:What value do you have for "Option"? It needs to be 4 for 4 channels up to 12 for 12 channels.

Mike.
Where do I have the Option? (On which setup page)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
davids

Post by davids »

I found the option I entered 9ch (like my Rx), but was not able to bind.

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Have you tried DSMX-22?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
davids

Post by davids »

MikeB wrote:Have you tried DSMX-22?

Mike.
Yes I but will try again today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I suggest turning off "Autobind", and using the "Bind" option to initiate the binding. While attempting the bind, let us know what the LED does on the Rx.
Hopefully, the Irangex module firmware, as supplied, is supporting telemetry, which includes bind feedback data and firmware status information. To receive this, set the "Usr Proto" to DSM in the telemetry menu.
You may need to update the firmware in the radio to a recent test version to receive these.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
davids

Post by davids »

Mike thanks for all the tips I have tried the mnual bind mode with no sucsess, and the green led did not ilumminated.
My setup in the telemetry is Usr Proto to DSMx there isn't any DSM.
Well do you advice to upload the test frimware? Do I have a fualty Muddole?
David
jgonzjua

Post by jgonzjua »

Hello, I´m also new in rc world.

I have the same problem that Davids.
I have a Turnigy 9xr PRO Mode2 r212
Orange internal module for telemetry DSMX/DSM2 walkera compatible.
Receiver: Orange r 820 X V2
I have followed th steps of the "aaa" pdf file shown in the hobbyking web site https://hobbyking.com/es_es/orangerx-2- ... tible.html

But it is unable to bind. The led of the receiver blinks when I plug the bind plug, then I turn on de Transmitter but, it doesn´t bind.

I don´t have a telemetry system, I don´t need it because my vehicle it´s a crawler.

Any clue where my mistake might be?

Thanks to everybody.
davids

Post by davids »

I just recived an internal module (orange one like you have mentioned) and following the aaa file I secsseded binding. The key issue was the protocol change to DSM2 type 9xr-dsm, including inverting com1 in the telemetry setup.
Hope it will help you
jgonzjua

Post by jgonzjua »

Impossible to bind... I don´t know where is the problem.
I have checked the protocol and the diferent steps... and... could be... the receiver or the trnasmitter is damage.
matthewaweber22

Post by matthewaweber22 »

i just got the turnigy 9xr pro with a spectrum dsm2 d9 module, and the horizon hobby umx j3 cub bnf basic. i can't get them to bind. are all my components compatible? will the 9xr pro bind to a bnf airplane?
Daedalus66

binding problem

Post by Daedalus66 »

The issue, if any, is with the module, not the radio. The Pro firmware has no problems of this sort with a DM9 module.
Are you sure you are using correct bind procedure?
Is Protocol set to PPM?
Are you sure the receiver and module are in bind mode?
Are you keeping the transmitter 2-3 m away from the receiver?
Have you used the module in another transmitter or with other receivers?
Is the module making good contact with the module bay pins. Try pressing the module firmly into the bay.
Note that the DM9 is not compatible with the E-Flite SAFE receiver, but in my experience works OK with the UMX receivers.
matthewaweber22

half my problem is, my knowledge of this stuff is about 4 days worth. I've searched for days trying to learn how to bind. how do i bind to my umx cub with the 9xr pro and the dm9 module? I've tried holding the bind button and powering up the radio, I've tried holding the trainer switch and power up, I've tried holding bind button and trainer switch at same time and power up. I've tried to bind with the module NOT installed. the cub is a bind n fly, there is nothing i can do to it besides plug in the battery. there is no access to any receiver. the other half of my problem is that there is no instruction manual anywhere to be found save for that 40 page 9xr manual that doesn't really even scratch the surface of what this radio is supposed to do. the 9xr pro has 14 pages in setup not 11. protocol was/is set to ppm. i tried switching it to dsm2 but that didn't work. I've tried the transmitter really close, and 6 feet away to bind. the radio, module and plane are all brand new, never put together in any combination with any other radio/plane/nothing. the light in the module does come on so it is installed correctly. thanks Daedalus66 for all your suggestions i really appreciate your help.
Daedalus66

binding problem

Post by Daedalus66 »

Nearly everything in the ER9X manual applies to the 9XR Pro. ERSky9x is basically an enhanced version of ER9X. The manual that João and I prepared, however, is based on the new, more logical Menu structure that was introduced with version R215. You might want to consider upgrading to the latest stable version (R220). But that's another story.
There is a full set of manuals for the original firmware (R204) at:
viewtopic.php?f=123&t=5581
To understand how the menu structure has evolved, go to:
viewtopic.php?f=123&t=6810
You probably have version R212, which is a bit of a hybrid, but not too hard to figure out.
My efforts to update the ERSky9x manual have been put on hold a couple of times by health problems, but I plan to return to the task shortly.

Now to the module.
As the pictures show, there is a problem of installation. The DM9 was not considered when the 9XR was designed -- it was intended for an Orange module. As a result, the base of the antenna mast rests against the back of the transmitter case, preventing the module from fitting properly into the module bay and making proper contact with the pins.
As a result, I've never had the DM9 in my 9XR or 9XR Pro, but I have used it in various 9X transmitters and I know the firmware works perfectly. It does, however, require a couple of specific settings.
Leave it with me and I'll do a bit of testing this evening to ensure that the DM9 (with modifications) does work with the 9XR Pro.
By the way, NEVER insert or remove the module while the transmitter is turned on!

ImageImage

matthewaweber22

actually, the module has been used quite extensively, got it from a friend was his primary module. looking through more versions of the instructions for the pro regarding binding, says to use module binding instructions. the module instructions say to use the transmitter instructions, instructions for my cub says to go to www.bindnfly.com for compatible transmitters, but all they list are the spektrum and JR radios....still don't know how to bind the pro to a BNF. tried to follow battery calibration instructions but page numbers don't match the videos/instruction manual and can't find the page to actually change the value. the 9xr has 5 battery pages, the pro has 6. the 9xr has 11 setup pages, the pro has 14. so its tough even to try watching u tube videos for instructions. even though the d9 module doesnt fit all the way in like the photo u posted, mine the same, the power light still comes on. doesn't matter??? it looks real close to fitting, i wonder if i can shave some plastic of the transmitter case. you speak of modifications to the d9 module, are you referring to the telemetry mods? looking forward to seeing what you discover. thanx again.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Let's try to take things one at a time.
1. Fitting the module.
You will need to remove some material from either the base of the antenna tower or the back of the transmitter. You must ensure that the module fits properly and clicks into place. My transmitter pins only just make contact in the module, but I think later ones had slightly longer pins, so you may not have a problem.
2. Settings
Select PPM in the Protocol menu.
Set Internal module OFF and External module ON.
Set 400uS instead of default 300uS (this is needed for correct neutral)
Leave other settings at default.
Polarity may need to be changed. It most likely needs to be NEG, but try POS if that doesn't work.
3. Binding
Insert bind plug into receiver and apply power. Verify that receiver light is flashing rapidly.
Set throttle to full low.
Turn on radio while holding the button on the Module.
Still holding button, clear any warnings.
Receiver should stop flashing and come on solid within a few seconds.
Release button. Receiver is bound if light is solid.
Test with servo.
Note that the receiver MAY bind at 3 feet or even closer, but you may need to go to 6-9 feet under some conditions.
4. Battery Voltage
Never mind about number of pages and videos. Just go to Radio Setup and find the DiagAna page (Diagnostics Analog). Down at the bottom you'll find something like "11.5v" or "9.8v" etc. That's the battery calibration. Set it to match the actual measured voltage of your transmitter battery. You will also want to set the battery warning under Alarms.
What kind of battery are you using?
You should have more than enough information in the manuals and the guide to menu structure to find your way around.
Let me know how all this works out
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

You see differences between the videos and your radio because it has installed a version of Ersky9x that is about 3 years old. Since then, many things were improved, many bugs were fixed, and many new features implemented..
And Ersky9x is in constant development.

João

Sent from my thor using Tapatalk

My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
matthewaweber22

1. The transmitter pins do seem to be a bit excessively long. I think it is making good contact but I'm going to modify the case so the module fits correctly.
2. PPM is set, changed 300 microseconds to 400, changed polarity to negative, I cannot find a setting to select internal/external module. I tried DSM2 here instead of ppm and a bind function appeared, that did not work, back to ppm. I watched a video of a guy setting up a 4 in 1 multi protocol module, I can see in his protocol set up screen the option to select internal external module, but it is not on my screen.
3. I can not insert a bind plug in a BNF aircraft. There is no way to access the receiver, it's a Bind N. Fly aircraft, BNF. Am I supposed to break it apart somehow because it doesn't appear that the user is intended to open up the aircraft, it is all taped and glued together, no access ports/hatches, only the battery compartment exists to access internal of the aircraft, only the battery plug is accessible. I would imagine the aircraft would come with a bind plug if this were a necessary step.
4. Diagnostics Analog, LOL I thought that meant diagonal arch like in the mixing curve settings. Didn't even look through there. Ha Ha funny yeah I got that changed now thank you!
5. Oops still on 4. I'm using the recommended battery, Turnigy 9XR 2.2 1.5c 11.1v

I want to try to flash to the latest firmware. Can you provide that link please?
Again, thank you for spending so much time on this issue.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

matthewaweber22 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:07 pm
I cannot find a setting to select internal/external module.
I watched a video of a guy setting up a 4 in 1 multi protocol module, I can see in his protocol set up screen the option to select internal external module, but it is not on my screen.
Because you have a very old version of ersky9x installed. But that should not be a problem in your case.. I think you also do not have the Multi protocol on your radio..
I want to try to flash to the latest firmware. Can you provide that link please?
Ersky9x latest release:

www.er9x.com

ersky9x Test Versions (Pretty stable. I only use them. New features and bug fixes)

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4676

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

1. The pins are unlikely to be "excessively long". The problem occurs if they are not long enough.
2. Do NOT mess with protocols other than PPM. DSM2 is only for use with a module hacked from a Spektrum DX5e, etc. Multi and other protocols are for different modules. PPM is what is required by the DM9.
The Internal/External choice was introduced in a later version than you have. Ignore.
3. Sorry, I forgot you are dealing with a UMX (BNF is not relevant because many BNF models use a bind plug). Simply follow the bind instructions that come with the model. If you turn it on before the transmitter, it automatically goes into bind mode, indicated by rapidly flashing light. Then you turn on the transmitter while holding the bind button on the module to start it in bind mode. Clear any warnings. Wait for light on receiver to stop flashing and go solid. Release button on transmitter. Receiver is bound.
Next time, be sure to turn on transmitter FIRST without button pushed or you will go back into bind mode. Wait at least 5 seconds, then plug in receiver battery. Wait for it to connect. Don't move the model while connecting as the stabilizer needs to initialize. Read the manual with the model.
4. Using the standard LiPo battery, you should have about 12.6v after charging fully, so you can use that to set battery voltage calibration.

I'll deal with updating another time. For now you have a perfectly viable version and should concentrate on understanding it. Everything you learn will be applicable to a new version, except that the menu structure will be a bit different. Look at the Menu Structure Guide I pointed you to.
matthewaweber22

Ok, the DM9 module; does it only work with a receiver that you have to put a bind plug into to bind together, or will it bind to my BNF just by pushing the bind button on power up? I have attempted to bind it many times with bind button with no luck. I'm starting to think maybe I got a bum aircraft from the factory. Gotta put this on hold until Monday. Thanx for all the help guys.
Daedalus66

binding problem

Post by Daedalus66 »

The DM9 should work fine with the UMX J3. I say again, read the instructions on binding that come with the model and you will see that has no need for a bind plug. It is possible that you got a defective receiver, but not likely.
Are you following the directions exactly:
"1. Refer to your transmitter’s unique instructions for binding to a receiver (location of transmitter’s Bind control).
2. Make sure the flight battery is disconnected from the aircraft.
3. Ensure the transmitter is powered OFF.
4. Connect a fully charged flight battery to the aircraft and turn the aircraft upright. The receiver LED will begin to flash (typically after 5 seconds).
5. Ensure that control surface trims are centered and the throttle sticks and trim are in the lowest position to correctly set the failsafe.
6. Put your transmitter into bind mode. Refer to your transmitter’s manual for binding button or switch instructions.
7. After 5 to 10 seconds, the receiver status LED will turn solid, indicating that the receiver is bound to the transmitter. If the LED does not turn solid, refer to the Troubleshooting Guide at the back of the manual.
For subsequent flights, power ON the transmitter for 5 seconds before connecting the flight battery."
There's more to it than "just pushing the bind button on power up". The receiver must be in bind mode first and the transmitter must be turned on with the bind button held ON. Also you need to make sure you follow the advice in Troubleshooting.
matthewaweber22

Yep, did all that.
I updated the firmware to 221, internal and external module selection now appears, I set it to external. I filed down the case so that the d9 module fits correctly. I've followed all the instructions and troubleshooting for binding. I called horizon tech support, said they can't do anything for me with the turnigy radio, they only deal with Spektrum. I took it to my local hobby store to see if they could bind it with one of their radios, and they did with no problem at all. So, something in the 9xr pro isn't set correctly is what I have come to believe. Basically at this point I would need a full list of the correct setting for every transmitter setting there is.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

When you select PPM in the protocol menu, another option that appears is "PPM Drive". Make sure this is set to "FullDrive".

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Mike, didn't the old versions of ersky9x have the PPM polarity swapped? So maybe he should try to select positive so the radio outputs negative which I think the DM9 module needs. I think that was fixed some time ago?

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Yes. I've mentioned that and presumably he's tried both POS and NEG, but it's a useful reminder.
matthewaweber22

I didn't see "PPM Drive". Maybe due to the software revision? I updated to 221. There is a FR length, 23.5 micro seconds it is set to. Channels are set to 4 channel to match the plane. Yes, I have tried the polarity a couple times. I'm in St Paul MN. Is there a local expert on this radio maybe I could bring my equipment to? My hobby store, Hub Hobby, only sells spectrum radios so they don't know anything about turnigy. I know its got to be something simple. Im sending the module back to my friend who got this radio for me. He is going to send me and OrangRX. If I understand correctly, the 9xr was built with the intention of using the orange module?
Daedalus66

binding problem

Post by Daedalus66 »

matthewaweber22 wrote:Yep, did all that.
I updated the firmware to 221, internal and external module selection now appears, I set it to external. I filed down the case so that the d9 module fits correctly. I've followed all the instructions and troubleshooting for binding. I called horizon tech support, said they can't do anything for me with the turnigy radio, they only deal with Spektrum. I took it to my local hobby store to see if they could bind it with one of their radios, and they did with no problem at all. So, something in the 9xr pro isn't set correctly is what I have come to believe. Basically at this point I would need a full list of the correct setting for every transmitter setting there is.
Horizon Hobby could hardly be expected to provide support for use of the DM9 in a product they did not make and do not recognize. The expertise for the 9XR Pro is on this forum.

OK, so you have established that the receiver works. Now you need to establish whether the DM9 is working correctly. You do not need a "full list of ... every transmitter setting", only a handful of critical settings relating to the module. This I have given you but I'll go over it again.

First, make sure there is a basic model for test purposes defined in the transmitter (anything that has channels 1-4 defined on the Mixer screen). Verify that it responds to stick movement as indicated by motion of the bars on the graphic servo outputs main screen (ER9X manual page 12). Note the second paragraph and warning about display of channels above 8. This could make it appear that the transmitter is not working.

So now you know the transmitter is generating a signal, the issue is simply to transmit it via the module.

In a main screen, Long press the Right Button, make sure the test model is selected and long press Right Button again.
Select Protocol on the Model Setup list.
Leave Internal Module unchecked. Check External Module.
Set to PPM protocol.
Set to 400us.
Set to NEG polarity.
Set to Full Drive.
Leave other settings alone.
You should now see the Internal orange light in the DM9 illuminated, indicating that it's operational.
If you don't see the light, either the module is not getting power or the signal from the transmitter is not getting to it (or the DM9 is defective). Try pressing the module into the module bay and pressing it sideways, up, down to see if the problem is contact with the pins.
Assuming you get a solid light, try binding, using the instructions with the model and those I gave you previously. Be sure the receiver is flashing in bind mode and turn on the transmitter while holding the bind button on the module. Make sure the transmitter is 1-2m away when binding. Try more distance if it doesn't work.
Let us know how you make out.

NOTE: Never plug in or remove the module with the transmitter turned on. Never operate the module without the antenna attached.

Return to “Turnigy 9XR PRO radio”