Can not bind.

Everything about the smartie programmer and backlight kit!
Rad

Can not bind.

Post by Rad »

Hi everyone. As the title says, I can not bind my flysky with 9xtreme board.

First of all I know how to bind, I have been using the smartieparts board 2.4 for some years, I have a 9xr pro and also played a bit with the stock 9x firmware.

I tried with 4 different receivers and just cant bind. Maybe I changed something in the radio or hardware menus but I can not find what.

I had problems with the sound so I opened and closed the radio three thousand times before figuring out a defective speaker was the problem. Might opening the radio while switched on be the problem? I know removing or installing the module causes a failure, I was going to do the PPM protection mod this wednesday...

If that the cause, how can I fix it?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Radio firmware updated of friday.
Last edited by Rad on Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/

Kilrah

Re: Can not bind.

Post by Kilrah »

For a start, what RF module are you using?
Rad

Post by Rad »

The original flysky th9xb
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Have you set the protocol for the EXTERNAL module to PPM?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Rad

Post by Rad »

MikeB wrote:Have you set the protocol for the EXTERNAL module to PPM?

Mike.
Yes, External protocol is PPM. I may have found the problem. When I was fighting with the sound problem with my defective speaker, I had to open and to close the radio 10.000 times. One of them I may had the radio switched on, so that may have similar to remove or to plug the module to the radio. Could it be?

I tried removing the 9xtreme board, and without it I can bind the receivers with no problem.

So, If I have damaged the board doing that, is there any way I can fix it?

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

When you removed the 9Xtreme, did you re-flash the original board to get it working?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Rad

Post by Rad »

No, when I removed the xtreme I just removed it.

I was able to bind the receiver but unable to do anything else.

If I could reflash with the stock firmware or even better with just er9x would be great.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Mike, I think he should flash your test version that checks the PPM line. What do you think? I have no access to the link where the file is at the moment.

Thanks

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

When the 9Xtreme is installed, the firmware on the original board is replaced by 'slave' firmware for use by the 9Xtreme. This means when the 9Xtreme is removed, there will be no PPM signal sent to the module.
If the module is now binding (flysky, using the bind button), then it doesn't need a PPM signal to bind.
This suggests, with the 9Xtreme, the module may not be receiving power.

Please replace the 9Xtreme, then check for power on the module pins.
Counting from the top, power is on the third (middle) pin and ground is the fourth pin. Take great care not to short anything while measuring. If you have a servo extension lead, plug this in (sideways) so just one pin connects to the power pin and nothing else is connected. It is then easy to put a meter probe on the ground pin and the other probe on the pin at the other end of the servo extension without a risk of shorting.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Rad

Post by Rad »

Well, I have some strange news here. I did not do the power test yet, Im going to buy the 100ohm resistor tomorror to do the requiered PPM protection mod, just in case.

But It has power and it "works" It really surprised me. It seems I can control my tank once the receiver is bound.

Hope you understand me: If I bind a receiver with the radio with no 9xtreme board, and then I put the again the 9xtreme, it seems I can control my models, but there is no way to bind with the 9xtreme inside.

Just in case, I have done four 3 position switches mod and they work perfectly. I connected them to EXT 6, EXT 5, EXT 4 and EXT 3

Any clue?

EDIT: I just disconnected the 9xtreme. I left inside the radio, just disconnected all the plugs and plugged them in the original place, and bound another two receivers, so definitelly the binding problem is related with the 9xtreme.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

No need to do the power test then.
I just tried binding with a Flysky module on a 9Xtreme and it worked fine. My Tx module has "Model:FS-TM002" on it, the receiver is a "FS-R8B".
Powered the Rx with the bind plug and the red LED flashes fast.
Power on the Tx with the button pressed. After the splash screen disappears (when power to the module is enabled), the red LED on the Rx goes solid. I then need to power all off, remove the bind plug from the Rx and power all backon, then I can control a servo.
Note that power to the module will not be enabled until all warnings have also been cleared.

Note that the binding is between the Tx module and the receiver. You can bind a module in one Tx, then transfer it to another Tx and it will stay bound.

I've only got 1 extra 3-pos switch on the ELE switch using EXT3 on my 9Xtreme.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Rad

Post by Rad »

My flysky module is FS-RM002 and the receiver are FS-R9B Also tried with some turnigy 9X8C V2 receivers.

The binding process is exactly as you said, but still no way to do it with the 9xtreme.

Is there anything I could do? Can I send the board somewhere to test it or does it have some kind of guarantee?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

If you can control your model with the board installed then you MUST be able to bind, given that all that's needed for binding is power to the module, and being able to control proves there is some. The radio or board is not involved in the binding process at all.

I believe you simply do not hold the button long enough until the module gets power. With no board it gets power instantly when you turn the switch on, while as Mike said with the 9Xtreme board in it only gets turned on after the radio has booted and all warnings are cleared.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I also tried with a 9X8C V2 Rx and that also worked.
I don't think there is anything wrong with the 9Xtreme since it works with the module once it is bound. Not having the exact same Tx module means I can't do any specific testing.
I'll just check that you are holding the button pressed until after the splash screen has cleared and all warnings cleared, the module doesn't get power until then, so the button won't do anything until then. If you move a stick while the splash screen is showing, this will clear it quickly (or you could disable the splash screen in the Radio General settings).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Rad

Post by Rad »

Kilrah wrote:I believe you simply do not hold the button long enough until the module gets power. With no board it gets power instantly when you turn the switch on, while as Mike said with the 9Xtreme board in it only gets turned on after the radio has booted and all warnings are cleared.
MikeB wrote:ing the button pressed until after the splash screen has cleared and all warnings cleared, the module doesn't get power until then, so the button won't do anything until then. If you move a stick while the splash screen is showing, this will clear it quickly (or you could disable the splash screen in the Radio General settings).

Mike.
I was going to run away and hide in a big dark deep cave for the next 30 years or so, but before I do that I must come here and say a BIG THANKS to all of you, because that was exactly the problem that was driving me crazy.

I still can not understand how I missed something like that.

Thanks to all of you, guys. Tomorrow I will install a six pos switch and the PPM mod, hope to not come back with more problems, lol.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

If you haven't had a Tx that controls the power to the module before, there is no reason you would think of it.
It is a safety measure so the module doesn't transmit before everything is in a safe state on the Tx.
Unfortunately the Flysky module doesn't have a LED that shows when it has power.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “SMARTIEPARTS PROGRAMMER”