Smartieparts board faulty? Switch Error - FIXED

Everything about the smartie programmer and backlight kit!
BrettAltea

Smartieparts board faulty? Switch Error - FIXED

Post by BrettAltea »

Hi I have two Turnigy 9x transmitters that I've been using for awhile. Just received two Smartieparts boards and installed them (not flashed yet though). The first install went well, afterwards the 9x turned on and worked fine.

However the second install seemed to go alright but when the 9x was turned on all I got was "Switch Error". All the switches were in the correct position (up/back) and tried toggling them all anyway but still didn't work.

Anyone else had this problem? Will have to uninstall it but then lose the benefit of er9x later plus the $45 + postage that's wasted.

Cheers
Brett
Last edited by BrettAltea on Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GrootWitbaas

Re: Smartieparts board faulty? Switch Error

Post by GrootWitbaas »

No need to panic ...Panic leads to damaged radio's ....Now lets start from scratch, Did you check the board for V1/V2 ?
Next did you clean the pads ...
Then please have a look here : viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19
General trouble maker and wannabee Dev
cre8tiveleo

Smartieparts board faulty? Switch Error

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Also, where are you from? There may be people in your area that can help you too. I know I saved 5 people from buying a sp board by soldering in the wires for them, have two more to do.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?s1shts
BrettAltea

Post by BrettAltea »

Thanks to both of you for your replies. Didn't have time to go back and check until this week and the solution was even simpler! When I was putting the case back together the connector from the back case had worked loose. I just had to push it back in.

Cheers
Brett
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Best things to do first.

The number 1 most important thing to do first is " Post a general location so others can help if you live in their area" or country. I too have helped many but I almost have to beg to know where they live to decide if I can help them help them with repairs or parts. Please everyone, at least post a country or state!

Next test your radio out of the box stock to see that everything is/was working before any mods are done.
Next be very careful of battery polarity if you add your own battery and connector.
Most important push on all board connectors before closing up the case and only install a few screw until you're happy it's all working. The screw seats in the case will wear out quickly so save a few good ones for final assembly. Less to fill in and re thread.
If you're going to solder a lot purchase a small tip temp controlled iron, it'll pay for its self in no time.
SM

jhsa

Re: Smartieparts board faulty? Switch Error - FIXED

Post by jhsa »

I don't tighten the screws so much.. just screw until they set and then just turn less than a quater of a turn.. I think that if we don't use chinese force to tighten them they it will last longer ;) :)
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I'm sure others have noticed this but just in "case" not.
Some screws have had some type of glue on them at the factory and when you unscrew the screws it also messes up the plastic. Those holes are no longer nice and threaded but now are inlarged by the amount of plastic that sticks the the screw threads. This dooms the threaded plastic from the first removal even if you're careful.
I don't think my FlySky cases are as bad as the Turnigy for the "screw glue"
Just FYI on why some fail after a few removals.
SM
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

First thing that I do when I open a TX the first time is to clean the threads of the screws from plastic and then I grind off all sharp edges that are there to cut the thread into the plastic bolts.
When I screw in the screws, with very low pressurem I softly turn it ccw until it snaps into the existing thread and then srew it in cw.
Screw must go in easily if it cought the existing thread. If not, try again turning it ccw until it snaps in.
And I don't tighten them hard.
I guess I have opend my Turnigy TX about 50 times or more and there is no problem with the screws.

Reinhard
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

you're both absolutely right.. showmaster, it does look like they put something on those screws.. mine were so tight on this new radio that I had trouble to take them out..
ReSt, that's what I do also.. a friend of mine tought me that last year..
And also I don't tighten them so much anymore..
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Crashj007

Post by Crashj007 »

A little Teflon plumber's dope on the threads would be a good idea, for those who are often into the case. It's not like vibration is going to be a problem, eh?
--
FS-TH9X 2.4GHz 9CH from Nitroplanes
Smartieparts board & backlight
Stock Flysky RF and mainboard
er9x FW V 744
beachbreak

Post by beachbreak »

I too have put together the smartieparts with my 9x, with the telemez board, rev 2.4., I made sure it was the right version for 2.4. when I power up the 9x, all i get is switch error. i tried moving all the switches around, opened the case to check all connections, (backlight is working) nothing seems out of place. anyone have any ideas? Help!!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

What firmware do you have installed? (On the radio).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
beachbreak

Post by beachbreak »

turnigy v2
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Then you now need to flash your radio with either er9x or OpenTX. Installing the boards is only one part of the work.
beachbreak

Post by beachbreak »

So, after I install the smartieparts boards, if I power on the 9x, the "switch error" is normal? I'm ready to flash then?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Yes. Switch connections are changed by the telemtrez board, so they are not wired to where the stock firmware expects them anymore.
beachbreak

Post by beachbreak »

Whew! I really thought something was amiss. I checked and checked! My wife was pissed (she thinks I'm obsessed with RC!). Anyway, thanks for answering, it is very cool!
UniqueCoverings

Post by UniqueCoverings »

Kilrah wrote:Yes. Switch connections are changed by the telemtrez board, so they are not wired to where the stock firmware expects them anymore.

Awh!!! I was worried too... Same issue.
I will flash and give it a shot.

Thanks,
Mike

Return to “SMARTIEPARTS PROGRAMMER”